Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

kissTheApex 04-18-20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425919)
I love the Mediterranean climate and lifestyle. More comfortable with Spain but I would not mind visiting Turkey if the political and economic situation allows.

I’d say it’s still good to visit, but things have changed over the last twenty years that it brings me down when/if I read the news :(. The media is fox times a hundred (I’ll just leave it at that).

Many of the roads on the coastline are begging for cyclists, but our drivers all think they’re Indy car drivers. :bang:

MoAlpha 04-18-20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425685)
She is. I don't necessarily agree, but from her perspective I understand her. It is clearly the number 1 school for her intended area of study (film), and it's also the number 1 school in the country for something called "student experience" I don't know that I give that as much weight but I can't deny it's the best school for film.

She already had an interactive online meeting with USC. She has an online discussion with a Temple film student later today, and we all have an online conference for students/families for NYU tomorrow.

We are going to have a serious family discussion about all the options sometime next week. Stay tuned. I hope we all end up on the same page.

It might be TMI, but one thing that DOES weigh heavily on me. My sister, who is 4 years older than me, got accepted to Tulane. She really was excited to go there. My parents told her that it was too expensive and too far. And she was told she HAD to go to our state school (Rutgers).

Sound familiar??

My sister was very angry and resentful about that for quite some time. She finally came around and accepted this but only after many years of anger. She told me recently that it's only been maybe in the past 5 years she really is ok with it, and I bet on some level she is still not happy about it.

That does weigh on my mind.

#FirstWorldProblems

You have my full sympathy and this is not meant as criticism, but just allowing her to apply was tantamount to consent to go there and I think you're on the hook unless the financial picture has changed enough to make it very difficult or you're prepared for a bitter fight with long-term consequences. :(

datlas 04-18-20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21425929)
Just be careful! I've already been killed thrice because of mine. :(

What happened??

seedsbelize 04-18-20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425691)
Sell them locally and buy the right tubes? I cringe at the idea of drilling your rims but that's the nuclear option.

We must remember that my rims are 40-50 years old. Maybe that makes it easier. But you,re right. Better the correct tubes. And there truly is no hurry

WhyFi 04-18-20 04:36 PM

Grrrrr - locked out from the last page. :notamused:

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425770)
Kind of ironic because:

(1) with increasing automation/robots + gig economy, the workplace could look a lot different in 10 years

(2) this spring could really accelerate a shift toward online learning. Once you "go there," it completely upends the traditional college model.

Well yes. One of the problems is a career should be minimum 30 years, probably more like 40. We "train" for this sort of career in 2-4 years, whether traditional college or trade school, and then the world changes prior to your career being over. Whether that's welding or other manufacturing before the job goes overseas (or just to another state) or is automated, vast reams of office workers being replaced by MS Office, travel agents, pretty much everything. And when you're 10-20 years into the career, you usually can't just stop and retrain as effectively as the next batch of kids going to school with no mortgage and family, only for the cycle to repeat again, and again.

berner 04-18-20 04:39 PM

I once read several books by a West Virginia author by name of Mary Lou Setter. She lived for several years in Turkey at a seaside town and had many friends there. After leaving, she returned some years later to hugs and kisses from her friends there. She evidently spoke enough Turkish to get by on her own and took a bus into the interior. At one point she was invited to visit a family at home. We travel out of curiosity but the people we visit are curious about us also. She carried a pocket photo album that she showed to her hosts with photos of her home in W. Virginia, the mountains there and friends and family. I thought this a superb gesture.

WhyFi 04-18-20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425959)
What happened??

I didn't hear something, so I died, evidently.

Three times over.

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21426006)

Three times over.

You are one chatty corpse.

datlas 04-18-20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21426006)

Three times over.

Are you a cat? Six more and it’s buh-bye.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425901)
Good news is my wireless earbuds arrived and work/sound great! :bday:

Kudos!!

kissTheApex 04-18-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21426010)

:roflmao2:

seedsbelize 04-18-20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425911)
BTW if daughter goes to a private university she WILL have to borrow a portion of the cost. Probably 20% or so. If she goes to Temple, we will pick up everything.

I thought Temple offered her a full ride?

Velo Vol 04-18-20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21425805)
In addition to a butt-load of wheels, I have broken 4 frames, 3 pedals (crashed twice because they snapped off) a stem, at least 3 seatposts, at least 4 saddles, lots of cables (usually my fault for leaving them on too long) but only one chain, and that was my fault, too. I broke a front derailleur and I was 20 some miles out. Got to practice my spin that day.
I was climbing a grade with a friend and he sprinted after someone and his middle cog split in half and fell out. He didn't crash and that was amazing.

You sound big.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21425997)
Grrrrr - locked out from the last page. :notamused:

You're missing out.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21426000)
Well yes. One of the problems is a career should be minimum 30 years, probably more like 40. We "train" for this sort of career in 2-4 years, whether traditional college or trade school, and then the world changes prior to your career being over. Whether that's welding or other manufacturing before the job goes overseas (or just to another state) or is automated, vast reams of office workers being replaced by MS Office, travel agents, pretty much everything. And when you're 10-20 years into the career, you usually can't just stop and retrain as effectively as the next batch of kids going to school with no mortgage and family, only for the cycle to repeat again, and again.

This is getting shorter.

Heck, we don't even know how traditional careers such as doctor may change in the next 10 years.

ericy 04-18-20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425345)
So our drip coffee maker pot/carafe cracked somehow and now leaks a little. It is a proprietary size to fit in the unit and also push up the spring so the coffee drips down. I may have to disable that spring for the time being. I scoured ScamBay and did see a used replacement for like $25 (half the price is shipping), no way.

Why can’t they just use a universal size pot? Sigh.

In the past, I used coffee makers that we picked up at the local thrift store. I prefer a thermal carafe myself - like a thermos, I guess. This way the coffee doesn't cook on the burner. The current one is something we bought new because I was tired of dealing with a design defect in the thrift-store Cuisinart that caused it to make a mess every now and then.

No thrift stores now, however.

LAJ 04-18-20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21425866)
Yeah, what happened to us?

My older sister wanted to go to college and my parents couldn't understand why. Why would a woman need college? Of course, they didn't have any money anyway.

Cars man.... Cars.

The only thing that pulled me away from my cars was a Maxwell House commercial, from what I understand.

big john 04-18-20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425907)
Turkey.

Is there a roadie culture there? I know they have a basketball league and they've always had wrestlers and weightlifters in the Olympics. Ennes Kanter is in the NBA and he has been a staunch critic of the government there.

WhyFi 04-18-20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21426010)

Not much to do in this boring apocalypse. :(

ericy 04-18-20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425728)
There's a lot of subjectivity in student reviews. I might like it there (vs. other schools) primarily because it's not freezing cold.

It is ratings like this that have caused the insane price escalation in college costs - leading to "amenities wars". Colleges spending more and more on amenities to attract more students, the cost being ever higher tuition bills, and more and more debt loaded onto graduating students.

My undergraduate college gets an A+ at this site. And it was freezing cold as well.

datlas 04-18-20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21426020)
I thought Temple offered her a full ride?

They offered free tuition. We would pick up all other expenses.

indyfabz 04-18-20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425909)
Gobble gobble.

Deviled chicken.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2ece29f4c.jpeg

LAJ 04-18-20 05:17 PM

Saw these guys on my ride today. Picked them up on the Fly 6. Not a great pic, but it was super cool to see and hear them in real life. Air Force Academy graduation today, so they did a zig-zag type flyover over the Front Range, starting up in Ft Collins/Greeley area. This was in appreciation of the folks on the front line during these times.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d55efbfbd0.png

big john 04-18-20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21426037)
Cars man.... Cars.

Stupid cars. At least there's always job security.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21426038)
Is there a roadie culture there? I know they have a basketball league and they've always had wrestlers and weightlifters in the Olympics. Ennes Kanter is in the NBA and he has been a staunch critic of the government there.

Not much of a roadie culture. At least not when I left.

There seems to be slowly some grassroots beginnings of it, but at the risk of sounding elitist, I wonder how long it would take to develop it. After all, annual mean household income per Capita is about $3000-3500, and that doesn’t leave much to drop $500+ on a road bike even one takes the “usual” income inequality in to account.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21426055)
Deviled chicken.

Chicken or the egg :foo: :D