Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

BillyD 04-28-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21443630)
Have no fear; less than an hour later QA reported another "bug" that is working as designed and hasn't changed in six years. We did have to spend four collective hours proving it, though.

QA was better when I was on that team.

QA and usability testing were my favorite parts of the job BITD.

indyfabz 04-28-20 11:34 AM

Fun in the sun.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...560024693.jpeg

Bah Humbug 04-28-20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21443820)
QA and usability testing were my favorite parts of the job BITD.

I enjoyed it too - simpler times. Then TPTB made QA a much more painful department than dev, and my manager left. The move to dev was good overall, but the macro effects that caused it also caused a decline in QA quality. Ironically.

LAJ 04-28-20 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21443776)
Overall, sounds like a good life.

Indeed

Bah Humbug 04-28-20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21443825)

That boy clearly has life figured out.

indyfabz 04-28-20 12:12 PM

So many people out waiting for the Blue Angels flyover.

Heh. Made a pass just as I posted this. I think they’re coming back in a while.

LesterOfPuppets 04-28-20 12:41 PM

I saw 3 snakes today, and that was on a road ride (except maybe a mile of gravel).

seedsbelize 04-28-20 01:09 PM

I have begun to seriously jones for a ride. The left hand remains out of commission though, for at least three more weeks. Possibly more.
In other news, I'm gonna save a few phone numbers and do a factory reset. App reset did nothing.

WhyFi 04-28-20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21443698)
I can understand rodents better than spiders and snakes. At least rodents can feel affection - a "pet" tarantula cannot. It's not a pet, it's a captive.

I wouldn't be surprised if some reptiles are as smart, or smarter, than some rodents; in particular, some species of monitor are very clever. I had one for a time, a Savannah. S/he wasn't particularly bright, but did like attention/petting.

indyfabz 04-28-20 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this while packing up the office. 2002 Cycle Oregon. Day 2. A lot of climbing before lunch.

WhyFi 04-28-20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21443809)
:D At least the top tube is straight.

But 9° away from level, I think. You know how those C&Vers are about their straight and level.

:innocent:

Velo Vol 04-28-20 01:41 PM

I have seen no (reptilian) snakes today.

abshipp 04-28-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444037)
But 9° away from level, I think. You know how those C&Vers are about their straight and level.

You're damn right! :50:

The aftermarket fork on my Trek is shorter in axle-to-crown than the stock one, so the top tube is actually slightly sloping. I think the front end dropped by 10mm or so, so technically it's a lo-pro-rando :D

I'm always thinking about putting a 42mm tire up front to raise the front end up a little bit more, it's got 38mm front and rear currently. Maybe once it's time to change the rear tire in a few thousand miles.

abshipp 04-28-20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21443951)
I saw 3 snakes today, and that was on a road ride (except maybe a mile of gravel).

I like snakes. Only ever seen one on a bike ride, though.

WhyFi 04-28-20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444063)
You're damn right! :50:

I, for one, welcome our sloping top tube overlords.

If not for sloping top tubes, I'm sure that I'd crunch my gonads often enough to think about moving to a recumbent.

Velo Vol 04-28-20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444064)
I like snakes. Only ever seen one on a bike ride, though.

If you ride fast enough the only ones you should see are dead ones on the road.

WhyFi 04-28-20 02:10 PM

I'm getting the Domane ready to be listed on CL. I'm about 95% done. New (old stock) crankset and chain installed. Stock cassette cleaned and installed on the stock wheelset. New cable is in there for the FD, but I still need to tune the thing a bit. It's lookin' pretty nice and I'll be sorry to see it go... but it's not getting any ride time with the Cervelo around.

I'm kind of considering buying some good BFTB 28mm tires and throwing them on there instead of the 35mm gravel tires... I mean, gravel does sell, but some skinnier tires would probably drop 300-400g in addition to making it feel a little more snappy on a test ride. :foo:

abshipp 04-28-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444076)

If not for sloping top tubes, I'm sure that I'd crunch my gonads often enough to think about moving to a recumbent.

I can't say I have the same issue, but I've got fairly long legs for my height. Standover has never been an issue with me.

FWIW, as much as I love the classic lines of lugged steel road bikes, I still lust after something modern and lighter. Someday...

abshipp 04-28-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444099)
I'm getting the Domane ready to be listed on CL. I'm about 95% done. New (old stock) crankset and chain installed. Stock cassette cleaned and installed on the stock wheelset. New cable is in there for the FD, but I still need to tune the thing a bit. It's lookin' pretty nice and I'll be sorry to see it go... but it's not getting any ride time with the Cervelo around.

I'm kind of considering buying some good BFTB 28mm tires and throwing them on there instead of the 35mm gravel tires... I mean, gravel does sell, but some skinnier tires would probably drop 300-400g in addition to making it feel a little more snappy on a test ride. :foo:

How many bikes have you owned and sold?

Also, BFTB?

WhyFi 04-28-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444105)
I can't say I have the same issue, but I've got fairly long legs for my height. Standover has never been an issue with me.

FWIW, as much as I love the classic lines of lugged steel road bikes, I still lust after something modern and lighter. Someday...

I have a proportionally long torso/short legs, so yeah, a sloping TT gets me both of the things that I need.

And, uh, FYI - I know a guy selling a nice, modern bike... :innocent:

:lol:

MoAlpha 04-28-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444037)

I sure do. Funny how my own tastes have changed over the years.

WhyFi 04-28-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444111)
How many bikes have you owned and sold?

Also, BFTB?

In my road bike era? Not many - 5 and (soon to be) 3?

Bang for the buck - com'on, man!

abshipp 04-28-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21444081)
If you ride fast enough the only ones you should see are dead ones on the road.

I'm kind of surprised that I've never seen one mountain biking.

I did see a little possum, once:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...600c43e4e8.jpg

WhyFi 04-28-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21444115)
I sure do. Funny how my own tastes have changed over the years.

A fun-lovin' soulless plastic bike will do that to ya.

MoAlpha 04-28-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444076)

The only crotch crunch I remember on a bike, although there must have been others, was when I snapped a crank arm while climbing out of the saddle and it was more the taint than the nads, which took the blow. Hurt plenty though.