Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

BillyD 04-09-20 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21408964)
Depends on the weight, they're like $2.oo a pound at my grocery store. Good eatin'

It would probably be in good taste to offer the grieving neighbor some too, right? Probably the breast pieces, I would think.

ericy 04-09-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21409083)
And you all mocked with I did a one-hour time trial at the office park.

https://twitter.com/coffeeshopjihad/...56353004101636

After seeing this, taking laps of our 2-mile loop through the neighborhood doesn't seem quite so bad.

BillyD 04-09-20 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21409011)
Departmental Zoom "happy hour" at 4. Wondering if I should appear with a beer.

Too soon.

ericy 04-09-20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21409242)
Drinking water supply line?
I'm about to order materials for an underground sprinkler run in the front yard. Woohoo!

We just turned on ours, and verified that all the well pump and all the heads are still working. Minor tweaks here and there are still required, but I can take care of those whenever I get around to it. I will probably leave the thing disabled until the end of the month as we really don't need the water quite yet.

Today the landscapers are here doing spring cleanup and mulching. There are many birdwatching opportunities for our cats.

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21408961)
There is a large peacock in our neighborhood, it's now the season for him to start screaming again..

Peacocks are edible in case you were wondering.

abshipp 04-09-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409174)
Okay, guys. Here's where I admit what a total wuss of a nervous, incompetent, old man I am.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a super-nice set of wheels. They are about 1440g, 35mm deep and I have 25mm GP5000s mounted on them. They are noticeably faster than the decent set I was riding before, but I have one complaint. To wit, they scare the snot out of me descending on rough pavement and/or gusty winds. Yesterday, I had a big tailwind on the homeward leg and had a bunch of 30 mph stretches in the drops where I wondered whether I was going to be able to hold it together and stay out of a death wobble. Some of this was clearly mental and went away when I reset my position, shifted weight aft, and relaxed my arms, but I've never had it so bad with any other set of wheels. My inclination is to work on the mental part with progressive exposure, but I am also concerned about the risk. Any helpful suggestions? Anyone think 28s would help?

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21409362)
It seems really odd that 35mm would be a handful in wind. How deep were your previous wheels?

I'm a little confused as to what exactly the fear is rooted in? Structural integrity because of the really light weight? Really sensitive steering with the reduced weight and you're feeling the bike is behaving in a way that is outside of your bike handling comfort zone? Or something else?

:foo:

I can sympathize with concern about component performance, when speeds start to climb I start to wonder just how strong the stuff I'm riding is. But I'm a fatty and ride used stuff with decades of unknown history, so it might be a little more justified :lol:

big john 04-09-20 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21409422)
Peacocks are edible in case you were wondering.

I wasn't.

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21408993)
The principle sounds right, but that's a plume with a hang time of 14 s and has to assume no breeze at all. It translates to a 410' plume for a cyclist traveling at 20 mph, but with a lower concentration of aerosol. That's just not something I can act on rationally.

I stopped at my local coffee shop after my ride today and there was a woman at the counter paying. I was standing at least 8' away and caught a whiff of her perfume when she walked away. I was never closer than 8'.

So, how does that relate to the CV, particle wise and exposure wise? I admit, I hopped back another couple feet when the smell hit me.

big john 04-09-20 12:24 PM

Okay, guys. Here's where I admit what a total wuss of a nervous, incompetent, old man I am.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a super-nice set of wheels. They are about 1440g, 35mm deep and I have 25mm GP5000s mounted on them. They are noticeably faster than the decent set I was riding before, but I have one complaint. To wit, they scare the snot out of me descending on rough pavement and/or gusty winds. Yesterday, I had a big tailwind on the homeward leg and had a bunch of 30 mph stretches in the drops where I wondered whether I was going to be able to hold it together and stay out of a death wobble. Some of this was clearly mental and went away when I reset my position, shifted weight aft, and relaxed my arms, but I've never had it so bad with any other set of wheels. My inclination is to work on the mental part with progressive exposure, but I am also concerned about the risk. Any helpful suggestions? Anyone think 28s would help?

Is it actually wobbling or just getting pushed around by the wind?

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21409429)
I wasn't.

I listened to a podcast a couple months ago where some guys duplicated a roasted peacock meal from an old Dutch menu, like from the 1600s or 1700s. They bought the dressed bird from a specialty butcher and then consulted a cooking historian to make sure they followed the recipe correctly. IIRC, some of the ingredients and nomenclature were somewhat obscure but they managed it and called the outcome a success.

I can't remember if it tasted like chicken. :innocent:

ericy 04-09-20 12:32 PM

Someone posted a recipe the other day for a quarantine version of Peking Duck - using a supermarket roasted chicken, flour tortillas, hoisin sauce and spring onions. Made my mouth water. Next time we need to make a grocery run, we might try and get the bits we would need for that.

WhyFi 04-09-20 12:32 PM

Anyone think 28s would help?

It would mean more trail and a larger contact patch (assuming you lower pressure appropriately). You might feel a stability difference... probably wouldn't hurt.

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 12:33 PM

Gain weight. :innocent:

Seriously, I was on 55mm rims today in gusty 20-25 mph winds and managed fine. OK, I admit I had a couple pucker moments. :D

WhyFi 04-09-20 12:36 PM

And, FWIW, winds yesterday made my ride a "pay attention" affair, too. No real butt-clenching moments, but I was certainly deliberate even when grabbing a water bottle.

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21409456)
And, FWIW, winds yesterday made my ride a "pay attention" affair, too. No real butt-clenching moments, but I was certainly deliberate even when grabbing a water bottle.

Yes, my experience today exactly.

seedsbelize 04-09-20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21409242)
Drinking water supply line?
I'm about to order materials for an underground sprinkler run in the front yard. Woohoo!

No. Household use. It fills the cistern and then is pumped to the tank on the roof. It's billed as drinking water but a simple litmus test reveals no trace of chlorine. Our drinking water is delivered in five gallon jugs.
We also have buried sprinkler lines in both front and back yards, but they are powered by the drilled well with submersible pump because, pressure,

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 12:49 PM

Why we ride:

https://twitter.com/_julietelliott/s...918893570?s=21

How do I embed a Tweet?

phrantic09 04-09-20 01:45 PM

Nothing changed but the wheels?

WhyFi 04-09-20 01:47 PM

This happy dance - too damn cute.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21409362)
It seems really odd that 35mm would be a handful in wind. How deep were your previous wheels?

It's really more the pavement thing, as I think about it.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21409575)
Nothing changed but the wheels?

Nope.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21409423)
I'm a little confused as to what exactly the fear is rooted in? Structural integrity because of the really light weight? Really sensitive steering with the reduced weight and you're feeling the bike is behaving in a way that is outside of your bike handling comfort zone? Or something else?

:foo:

I can sympathize with concern about component performance, when speeds start to climb I start to wonder just how strong the stuff I'm riding is. But I'm a fatty and ride used stuff with decades of unknown history, so it might be a little more justified :lol:

What I mean by mental is muscular freezing in response to the way the bike is behaving.

rjones28 04-09-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409582)
It's really more the pavement thing, as I think about it.

I don't like descending on sketchy pavement on my road bike either.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21409451)
Gain weight. :innocent:

Seriously, I was on 55mm rims today in gusty 20-25 mph winds and managed fine. OK, I admit I had a couple pucker moments. :D

Yeah, I guess some weight would help with that. Maybe another bottle.

abshipp 04-09-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21409449)
It would mean more trail and a larger contact patch (assuming you lower pressure appropriately). You might feel a stability difference... probably wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21409456)

My Trek has extremely low trail, fairly wide handlebars, and a large surface area directly connected to the fork.

The last windy ride I took it on was a bit sporty.