Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 03-05-22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22429567)
I slammed the stem, but rode it the day before with it slammed. I had it like that in the past, but since I got the madone, I don’t ride the Cervelo much.

I think it was more of psychological, just having riders on either side that close and trying to focus on my line, maybe I was more jumpy? I’m not sure.

Oh, and I def had my head set clamped to tight in the past which made the steering stiffish, it was not like that for the race. Don’t ask.

You did really good for your first outing. Even with the jitters.

phrantic09 03-05-22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22429568)
I ordered 200 cubic feet (100 bags). I order bags instead of bulk since I don’t have a wheelbarrow, and can’t do all that shoveling into a wheelbarrow. Half way thru the front yard my back was killing me. I’m now laying on an ice pack.

fortunately, I guess, winds today and tomorrow are as high as the mid30s so not really a riding day.

Aww man. Hope the back feels better.

At our last place I built a 800 square foot pea gravel patio while my wife was away for a couple of days. In one afternoon I moved roughly 13,000 pounds of stone from the front yard to the back in a wheelbarrow. I was laid up for two days (but really pleased with the outcome)

I need about 2 yards of mulch, a yard of crusher run and a yard of #2 decorative this spring. Not looking forward to it.

bampilot06 03-05-22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22429573)
Wouldn't have. It probably just made it handle differently enough from how you were used to it that it felt weird at race speeds an intensity. And crowding. If you ride it more and then race again, probably better.

Are you racing again?

For sure! I felt like belonged at the first stroke from the start line. I cannot wait to get back out. I’ve been riding with some members of the Fast Frogs Racing team, so I hope to join them.

My job will be an issue, there is another crit next Saturday that I am going to miss because of work.

The team does all kinds of events and travels to some states for races, that part I most likely won’t be able to do. If they still let me join that will be cool.

Road race in May out in western part of VA I want to do, and there will be 2 different weekly crit series. One in Newport News and one in Richmond. I’m hoping between the two I can get some more races in.

I would love to do the langley speedway crit again. Next year.

Mojo31 03-05-22 05:02 PM

Thanks. Been living with back issues for thirty years. Nothing a little bar therapy can’t handle.

bampilot06 03-05-22 05:05 PM

This is the Newport News Crit. Talk is they will change the course weekly but this particular course has a gnarley turn. This was filmed last week, I was there as a spectator. Pretty rough crash in the Cat 4-5

big john 03-05-22 05:17 PM

Sorry about your friend, Indy.

LAJ 03-05-22 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22429434)
A guy I have known for over 29 years have been hospitalized since late November. He developed sepsis after not getting a leg wound taken care of. He’s been in the ICU and ventilated for much of his hospital stay. His family is apparently going to take him off life support on Monday. Although he’s completely unconscious, there is a short Zoom thing tomorrow so we can say out goodbyes to him. Not something I should particularly want to do, but I probably will participate. Of all the customers of the bar where he’s worked for forever, I’ve probably known him the longest.

Very sad deal. I'm sorry to hear.

big john 03-05-22 05:45 PM

I opted for the 57 mile club ride. There were 2 rides that did the first 20 some miles together and when we split there were only 5 riders on our ride. We didn't know there were 4 more who had stopped to fix a flat and they caught up to us while we were drinking coffee but soon after one of them had to get picked up because his knee was hurting.
My friend who was badly hurt in 2020 was with us. It's the longest ride I've been on with him since he came back and he did well and seemed happy and laughed a lot. He dropped back on the last climb but after that he spun that fixed gear to the finish. I was happy to see him enjoying the bike after thinking he might not ever ride again. This guy has done endurance racing, brevets, and PBP twice.

LAJ 03-05-22 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22429305)
Race was awesome, Had some really good attacks, and saw an opportunity to take the lead and did so. Held the lead for a little less than a lap and blew up, didn’t fall off the back was able fight my way back up to the front.
I was in good position with two laps to go and a massive crash happened next to me. They stopped the race and had us reform starting us with 5 laps to go. Started again and got near the front but got stuck on the inside. These two riders kept getting enfront of me and then slowing down, I was getting really pissed off.

Finished 20th out of 70 I think. If the crash hasn’t happened I think I would have been in the top 10. I had a lot left in me and was far from red lining when I finished.

The cervelo was handling like ****. It was super squirrelly and I clipped a wheel pretty early in the race but didn’t go down. I was on the hoods most of the race due to how the cervelo was handling on the drops. Was never a problem before but with cyclist all around you in the drops it felt like I was over correcting.

The crash shook me up, which is why I didn’t push as hard as I should have in the last lap. I didn’t lose any position during the lap but I didn’t gain anything either.

Had a blast, the nervousness went away right when the whistle was blown. Officially Addicted.

Thumbs up!

LAJ 03-05-22 05:54 PM

The Light Bicycle disc showed up. I like it.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1dc1fb145.jpeg

Trsnrtr 03-05-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22429163)
I'm glad nobody is blaming us (me) this time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

or me.

rjones28 03-05-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22429634)

Super nice

Trsnrtr 03-05-22 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22429218)
My thought it people out there with modern carbon bikes often pay twice as much for the same tire in gumwall, so there are lots of people who like the look.

When I started, all tires had tan sidewalls. Then, late 80s, Continental had those ugly brown sidewalls but we were happy to get rid of the gum wall look. When black walls came out, I liked them and still do. Now those puky looking tan sidewalls are back. :rolleyes:

Trsnrtr 03-05-22 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22429493)
This

Ditto to all of the condolences.

DougRNS 03-05-22 06:28 PM

A guy I have known for over 29 years have been hospitalized since late November. He developed sepsis after not getting a leg wound taken care of. He’s been in the ICU and ventilated for much of his hospital stay. His family is apparently going to take him off life support on Monday. Although he’s completely unconscious, there is a short Zoom thing tomorrow so we can say out goodbyes to him. Not something I should particularly want to do, but I probably will participate. Of all the customers of the bar where he’s worked for forever, I’ve probably known him the longest.

My sympathies to you. Being on the zoom call will let you say your goodbyes, have closure and help with the grieving process.

bampilot06 03-05-22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22429634)

I want this in my life, even if I wouldn’t know what to do with it.

bampilot06 03-05-22 06:32 PM

I reached out to velo, judging by his lack of response he is probably just cutting grass. No need to worry.

Mojo31 03-05-22 06:39 PM

He’s still tweeting. Seems focused on the Ukraine mess.

bampilot06 03-05-22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22429697)

maybes he’s from Ukraine Via Canada.

problem solver.

2manybikes 03-05-22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22426942)
I try to but people keep derailing the forum with watches, knives, power tools, boats, baseball, football, depressing stuff, etc. :lol:

Don't forget dogs!

LesterOfPuppets 03-05-22 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22429697)

Even naming his Strava rides in Cyrillic.

LesterOfPuppets 03-05-22 07:33 PM

Oh man.

:(

Mojo31 03-05-22 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 22429751)
Don't forget dogs!

One simply cannot derail a thread with dogs.

bampilot06 03-05-22 07:57 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f1057c256.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5b514f423.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f44293ba1.jpeg

LesterOfPuppets 03-05-22 08:18 PM

Non Porsche non ass of the day

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...6A&oe=62296231