Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Did you ride today? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=555896)

Red Rider 06-30-09 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by kenkayak (Post 9195186)
Ha ha to you Rider you light skinned farmers are all alike there aint a mole hill to be seen.:crash:/Kenneth

I'm not a farmer, I just ride my bike around farmland.

Guess I need to add some hill pictures to my blog. I ride 3 miles from my front door to a T intersection. If I go left (west and north) I go to the hills. If I go right (north and east) I'm in the flats. Good rides no matter what combination I choose.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...NapaValley.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...imbingaack.jpg

Back on topic: Rode with the club tonight vs. the team. The group broke up into fast and not-so-fast. I stayed with the fast group, pulled over the hill where I've been dropped the last 6 rides, and blew up. :o So the next 10 miles were time-trial practice.

After the regroup I had no trouble staying on, taking pulls, and not blowing up. Avg. speed was 18.1 mph and for me, that's a training ride. :thumb:

kenkayak 07-01-09 03:27 AM

Greetings Bike WNC SOUNDS A GREAT TIME/Kenneth

kenkayak 07-01-09 03:43 AM

I take it all back Red Rider/ You have got some lovely hills[mountain biker heaven;:(I was only kiddin about you being a farmer./Im sure the p/c doesnt do the color of the farm stretches justice so dont forget to show us off road folks hills.///brings a tear to an old rock guys eye to see those lovely soft hills:50:/Kenneth

kenkayak 07-01-09 03:54 AM

Hello Bud Bent Do you ride a recombent///how long to go 40miles?/Kenneth

kenkayak 07-01-09 04:17 AM

This is for Allegheny Jet ///My aunt Marg was a great piano player[played in the Bath orcestra /She would always scold me for asking her to play,[witch I always did]The Ripples of the Alleghenies a difficult piece of music I think it would be a great theme song for The Allegheny Jet because Its lightning fast./Kenneth

kenkayak 07-01-09 07:25 AM

Greetings BluesDog/ Im surprized at a low turnout . Almost any bike ride these days ,here in Maine is well attended. IM seeing on the roads and trails twice as many peope as last year. All ill say about playing in the dirt on the bikes of today Oh Oh another roady bits the dust:innocent:/Kenneth

BluesDawg 07-01-09 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kenkayak (Post 9199798)
Greetings BluesDog/ Im surprized at a low turnout . Almost any bike ride these days ,here in Maine is well attended. IM seeing on the roads and trails twice as many peope as last year. All ill say about playing in the dirt on the bikes of today Oh Oh another roady bits the dust:innocent:/Kenneth

That's small town life for you. We haven't had good turnout for any club events lately, let alone on hot afternoons.

I wouldn't call myself a roadie. I have always mixed my time between road riding and dirt. Same went for my long ago days as a motorcyclist. I could never choose which I liked the most so I do both. I love riding singletrack on my Stumjumper FSR just as much as riding country roads on my Bridgestone RB-1.

kenkayak 07-01-09 01:20 PM

Ya BluesDog I do a lot more road bikeing than I let on/I have an old great big framed cannondale I like for road going got it at a yardsale/bottom bracket was toast;,The guy that owned it must have been a giant. IM 6FT and if the frame was any taller my feet wouldnt touch the ground.I biked in Georga along and around the St Mary's river? the one down by Florida//Great rideing I enjoyed iT as much as Titusville in Florida/Kenneth

kenkayak 07-01-09 01:42 PM

I forgot My ride today was a dismal light rain 20 mi coastal affair. I did find out one truth from one of those positive folks that lerk around the forums spouting there stuff about milkweed along the roadside and fields of waving grain This positive guy told how much he liked the warm rain in New York city/I will say the rain in Maine today wasnt off its usual ice burg/Kenneth

KungPaoSchwinn 07-01-09 06:53 PM

I did not ride today ,wanted to see the movie Public Enemies, will ride tomr for sure.

kjc9640 07-01-09 07:48 PM

Short ride today...7/1/09

Todays ride 20.14 (s)miles
Total this mo. 20.14 (s)miles
Total this year 3269.90 (s)miles

Ride like you are invisible

:cheers:

Allegheny Jet 07-01-09 08:13 PM

Warmed up for 20 minutes then rode the Kennard Road hill 6 times with 6 to 7 minute recovery between reps. Finished up by riding for 30 minutes to cool down. Total miles 27.7. The Kennard Road Hill is a 1.2 mile defining point in the Medina Twin Sizzler race on July 4th.

Bud Bent 07-01-09 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kenkayak (Post 9199266)
Hello Bud Bent Do you ride a recombent///how long to go 40miles?/Kenneth

Yes, my Stratus XP is a recumbent. It's the slowest of my three bikes, and it took me over 2 1/2 hours to ride 40 miles, with a 15.2 mph average.

Hermes 07-01-09 10:55 PM

Went to the cycling gym tonight and did constant power high cadence intervals on my track bike and recovered on my TT bike on the trainer Did 10 minutes of 110 cadence recovery. It is always interesting that after spinning 110 for awhile 100 seems slow. Life of a trackie getting ready for a pursuit race.

HopedaleHills 07-02-09 06:08 AM

Are you kidding! It's freakin raining again. I think we have had maybe 3 good days for all of June and now the first week in July is more of the same. I've got 80 miles in for the entire month! The one good weekend we had, I had to catch up on yard work. God I hate New England.

BluesDawg 07-02-09 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by HopedaleHills (Post 9206269)
Are you kidding! It's freakin raining again. I think we have had maybe 3 good days for all of June and now the first week in July is more of the same. I've got 80 miles in for the entire month! The one good weekend we had, I had to catch up on yard work. God I hate New England.

Time to put on the rain gear and go for a ride. :)

kenkayak 07-02-09 08:29 AM

hello BudBent/ Ive seen recumbents here /thought thay didnt go to fast but I say thats damm good 40miles in 2 1/2 hr. there hard to see here on the narrow rode's with the shadow from the tree canopy./Kenneth

jppe 07-02-09 08:55 AM

Rode with the regulars we normally ride with on a weeknight ride and used my TT bike. I put the HED Alps wheels on the Cervelo P2C. Somehow I wound up riding up front for probably 30 of the 37 miles. Everytime I'd look down at my HR monitor it would be around 175-180 bpm. I guess your body just tends to ramp it up when you get tucked in an aero position??? I didn't realize I was riding that hard. One heck of a workout.......

az_cyclist 07-02-09 08:56 AM

12.7 miles this morning. I get in short rides before work mid May thru the first week of Sept. I get longer rides in on the weekends, both solo and with the club.

kenkayak 07-02-09 09:15 AM

Hello AZ Cyclist/IM trying to talk myself into a fourth slog in the gloom here in Maine; this week:twitchy:Kenneth

kjc9640 07-02-09 10:54 AM

Good ride today...7/2/09

Todays ride 45.55 (s)miles
Total this mo. 65.69 (s)miles
Total this year 3315.35 (s)miles

Ride like you are invisible

:cheers:

Hermes 07-02-09 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 9206967)
Rode with the regulars we normally ride with on a weeknight ride and used my TT bike. I put the HED Alps wheels on the Cervelo P2C. Somehow I wound up riding up front for probably 30 of the 37 miles. Everytime I'd look down at my HR monitor it would be around 175-180 bpm. I guess your body just tends to ramp it up when you get tucked in an aero position??? I didn't realize I was riding that hard. One heck of a workout.......

That is a big HR depending on your max. I find that my HR will be higher at high power IF the temperature is higher on the TT bike.

What speed were you generally holding on the flat with minimal wind (assuming that condition even existed)?

kenkayak 07-02-09 01:55 PM

Im back from my Fourth rain issue ride in a row;and the wind had backed around so was a cold steady rain.//Over the 4th im getting off the training rides and go look around some place fun but not far away .///Maybe Richmond IF there haveing goings on for the fourth Some places are cutting back on fireworks to bad for children who have nothing to do with anything except missing something fun./Kenneth

kenkayak 07-02-09 02:02 PM

Kudos Hermes/Sounds like you and your friends are in to it.I see know harm in it done with care./Kenneth

BikeWNC 07-02-09 03:10 PM

In my quest to find some lost fitness I went out for a couple threshold climbing repeats today. On the same course as last week I put out 21 and 24 ave watts more over the 12 min intervals. Even better, the ave power of the last 8 min of each interval was exactly the same. :thumb: I'm slowly raising the volume on these interval days while trying to maintain some long distance work on the weekends. I'll get to 2x20 sometime later this month and hopefully not lose any power doing it.

cranky old dude 07-03-09 04:52 AM

Taking a couple of days off from the bikes. Had a Chocolate Ice Cream craving yesterday, they come about once a year. Between 01:00pm and 07:00pm I polished off a half gallon off Perry's "Death by Chocolate". Yum!!

Working the day shift today and Saturday and as a rule the crazy's are out roaming the streets 'till dawn on holiday weekends. Trust me, it's safer to drive to work at 04:00am on holiday weekends, in fact most summer weekends are kinda iffy. I'll climb back on-board for Sunday evening's commute to work, and if I'm awake in time I might even do the Recumbent enthusiasts breakfast run at 06:30 Sunday morning.

On a positive note, the car still runs after sitting idle for almost a full month.

Allegheny Jet 07-03-09 08:27 AM

1.5 hours of riding in Z2 with 4 other riders early this morning. We are all racing tomorrow and just wanted to get the aerobic saddle time in. After the ride we met our wives at a local diner and all enjoyed breakfast and friendship.

FL_MarkD 07-03-09 11:47 AM

Did a metric this morning on the hot, flat Suncoast Trail (FL west coast) with a buddy with an average speed of 17.4. Back before the real heat started up. Tomorrow the FL 'hills' in San Antonio. Sunday might just be a rest day.

Happy Fourth!

Mark

BluesDawg 07-03-09 02:22 PM

This morning I rode the first real MTB ride I've done in several months. I joined two friends to drive about 40 miles to a great system of trails near Jackson, Ga., Dauset Trails.

We rode for about two hours at a moderate pace and I used up just about every bit of energy I had. I had forgotten just how easy road riding is. ;) Good thing we skipped the hardest section, appropriately named "Huff and Puff". The weather was warm but not hot during our morning ride. The trail was in good shape but a bit dry as we haven't had significant rain in several weeks.

The only thing wrong with the ride was that we all had too much attraction to the ground. I fell twice, both Tombay type falls where I ran out of power on a climb just as the front wheel hit a rock or root and stopped rolling. The first fall made a small scrape on my left knee but it bled impressively making a trail of blood most of the way down the front of my shin. The second fall was a bit more spectacular. The back of my helmet saved me by taking a hard hit from the tree I fell into. Made a nice dent in the helmet which is now in the garbage. I got another minor scrape on my right knee to match the one on my left. I have a deep scrape just below my right elbow that looks just like road rash. Less deep but still painful scrapes are all along my right upper arm and on the back of my right shoulder. I'm lucky not to have been hurt beyond these superficial scrapes. The helmet really saved me as it made a loud thump when my head hit the tree.

I need to do more MTB riding so I can get good enough to avoid silly falls like these.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2467/...5947e326_o.jpg

Retro Grouch 07-03-09 02:39 PM

I rode 42 miles this morning with a group of about 15 or 20 or so. I'm pretty sure everybody would qualify for 50+. Most of the people have been bicycle enthuiasts for a long time. To me, the most interesting thing about the ride was the collection of bikes that were represented: Lightspeed, Merlin, Serotta, Waterford, Colnago, my Klein, a titanium Santana tandem and a pretty techy recumbent with a name starting with "B". That's a pretty high dollar collection to see on an otherwise nondescript Friday morning ride.

Mrs. Grouch and I are going to the same starting place tomorrow only this time it's going to be all tandems. I wonder how many teams will show up.