Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

genejockey 02-25-22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22421451)
Aware but have not tried. Willing to try, but TBH as a veg for 35+ years I don’t really miss meat and not overly excited about fake vegetarian meat. I think those appeal more to newly veg and/or veg-curious.

I think that's true. The best vegetarian food I've had didn't pretend to be not-vegetarian.

LesterOfPuppets 02-25-22 07:23 PM

I had Vegetarian breakfast this morning. Focaccia/mozz/tomato/basil sandwich with 20oz latte.

Yummm.

datlas 02-25-22 07:23 PM

We are going out to a slightly nicer place for dinner with daughter and her BF. It will be our first time meeting him and Heidi tells me he has some anxiety about it. I promised her I will be nice and keep it light. No grilling him about his “intentions” etc., I promised.

seedsbelize2 02-25-22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22421233)
Two things any self-respecting man cannot live without - horsepower and torque.

Hmmmm

abshipp 02-25-22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22421227)
I'm usually disappointed driving nice cars around town. I want so badly to get them out on some open highway!

Something I think about a lot is the time I attended the Rockford Airshow (RIP).

At the end of the show they actually diverted some car traffic to the other side of the airport to lessen congestion on the small perimeter roads. This took us at one point down the main runway close to the western end.

The KRFD main runway is 10,000' long and 150' wide with very smooth pavement. I saw quite a few high-zoot cars leaving and I couldn't imagine how much they would want to take a big long pull all the way down.

seedsbelize2 02-25-22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22421243)
I mean, look at this shameless display -

https://media.giphy.com/media/sxmDIa...n7MY/giphy.gif

Is that an impact driver?

WhyFi 02-25-22 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22421499)
Is that an impact driver?

No, that's the drill - 1250 in lbs of torque. The impact driver is considerably smaller and 1600 in lbs of torque.

seedsbelize2 02-25-22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22421484)
We are going out to a slightly nicer place for dinner with daughter and her BF. It will be our first time meeting him and Heidi tells me he has some anxiety about it. I promised her I will be nice and keep it light. No grilling him about his “intentions” etc., I promised.

How could he not have anxiety? Unless he's this guy.

WhyFi 02-25-22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22421451)
Aware but have not tried. Willing to try, but TBH as a veg for 35+ years I don’t really miss meat and not overly excited about fake vegetarian meat. I think those appeal more to newly veg and/or veg-curious.

I don't know how Chipotle serves it, but it's pretty common for chorizo to be served in crumble form, not a cased sausage form. If that's the case, I'd assume that the "chorizo" bit comes more from the distinctive spices involved and there's not much more meat mimicking going on than there is with the sofritas.

LesterOfPuppets 02-25-22 08:39 PM

Apparently I had a brush with greatness on this morning's ride.

Well at least I rode near someone with a Wikipedia page :)

#funwithflybys

LesterOfPuppets 02-25-22 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22421498)
Something I think about a lot is the time I attended the Rockford Airshow (RIP).

At the end of the show they actually diverted some car traffic to the other side of the airport to lessen congestion on the small perimeter roads. This took us at one point down the main runway close to the western end.

The KRFD main runway is 10,000' long and 150' wide with very smooth pavement. I saw quite a few high-zoot cars leaving and I couldn't imagine how much they would want to take a big long pull all the way down.

They could've charged extra for run-what-you-brung drag races after the show!

#missedopportunity

MoAlpha 02-25-22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22421494)
Hmmmm

Whey protein!

Mojo31 02-25-22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22421403)
I will be doing the same in a couple of hours. Kid is away. Date night with the wife! :)

Enjoy the dessert!

Mojo31 02-25-22 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22421468)
All our meals are plant based, at some level. :rolleyes:

The meats I eat previously ate plants.

big john 02-25-22 09:29 PM

When I was 18 I lived with my 21 year old girlfriend and she wanted me to meet her alcoholic parents. Her dad was actually pretty cool but her mom was an ogre.
She grilled me about her daughter and asked "Shstate yer intentions". She was butt faced drunk. One time she called me a "wet behind the ears punk".

Hope to see you tomorrow.

BillyD 02-25-22 09:38 PM

I'm not usually intrusive, but . . . WHAT? Isn't this her first year of college?

BillyD 02-25-22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22421566)
When I was 18 I lived with my 21 year old girlfriend and she wanted me to meet her alcoholic parents. Her dad was actually pretty cool but her mom was an ogre.
She grilled me about her daughter and asked "Shstate yer intentions". She was butt faced drunk. One time she called me a "wet behind the ears punk".

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Well, at 18 you were. :lol:

big john 02-25-22 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22421571)
Well, at 18 you were. :lol:

I was too dumb to know how dumb I was.

phrantic09 02-26-22 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22421468)
All our meals are plant based, at some level. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22421470)
I think that's true. The best vegetarian food I've had didn't pretend to be not-vegetarian.

The only thing we really make that’s intended to be “meat like” is bolognese sauce with TVP. Otherwise if it’s a “plant based” meal, it’s all veggies.

Trsnrtr 02-26-22 06:41 AM

Wordle 252 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Question: Do vegans suffer from a lot of gas problems? Serious question.

indyfabz 02-26-22 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22421731)
Wordle 252 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Gas prices are hitting everyone hard.

Wordle 252 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 02-26-22 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22421570)
I'm not usually intrusive, but . . . WHAT? Isn't this her first year of college?

Ok to be intrusive. They are both second year students, 20 years old. He seems like a fine young man, and we had a very good time. He even likes Seinfeld!

datlas 02-26-22 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22421731)
Wordle 252 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟨⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I think it depends on the person but I expect the typical veg has MORE gas than the non-veg. Speaking from personal experience I am sure I pass more gas now than when I was a carnivore/omnivore. I don’t necessarily see this as a “problem” but I suppose that also depends on the person.

datlas 02-26-22 07:23 AM

I think I am going to try to ride up Mt Wilson later today, but first mrs datlas and I have a destination hike for donuts, then we have to say bye to our friends from SF area who came down to see us for a few days. We are almost halfway through our stay here and it’s been a good mix of seeing our daughter, friends, sights, and cycling.

Trsnrtr 02-26-22 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22421752)
I think it depends on the person but I expect the typical veg has MORE gas than the non-veg. Speaking from personal experience I am sure I pass more gas now than when I was a carnivore/omnivore. I don’t necessarily see this as a “problem” but I suppose that also depends on the person.

I think that I've mentioned this before, but I've had a lot of gastro problems since my abdomen was radiated in 2009. I can't imagine what it would be like if I went vegan.

MoAlpha 02-26-22 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22421752)

Definitely true. Plants are full of funky sugars and complex carbohydrates, which don't get digested in the small bowel and end up in the colon, which is primarily designed to absorb water. For reasons you might understand but I don't, the colon bugs make make lots gas. Lots of exercise and energy consumption also increase gut motility causing the same thing. Old age also decreases digestive efficiency. I spend most of my evenings in a state of noisy, uncomfortable, and occasionally malodorous, inflation.

indyfabz 02-26-22 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22421570)

I had a GF at age 14.

MoAlpha 02-26-22 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22421751)
Ok to be intrusive. They are both second year students, 20 years old. He seems like a fine young man, and we had a very good time. He even likes Seinfeld!

LSS and I started "going out" at age 20 and we had both had a few previous relationships.

Trsnrtr 02-26-22 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22421783)
LSS and I started "going out" at age 20 and we had both had a few previous relationships.

I got married at 20 to my HS sweetheart, over 50 years ago.

Pic taken this week:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6f2d583cd3.jpg

MoAlpha 02-26-22 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22421785)
I got married at 20 to my HS sweetheart, over 50 years ago.

Pic taken this week:

They tell me the first 50 are the hardest.