Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

Velo Vol 05-25-22 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22519171)
You don't think that not having to jostle with big rigs would be a selling point for other motorists?

Not much of an issue with a properly designed layout--trucks on one side of the building and other on the other side.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22519175)
People don't want to comingle with truck drivers I guess.

I don't want to comingle with monster pickup truck drivers on Knox County roads. We should ban those.

rjones28 05-25-22 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22519172)
So now you have a place with all the amenities of a truck stop without the giant trucks. This seems like an obvious win, but of course you take the opposite view.

He's just mad because he can't park his mower hauler in their lot.

https://www.heavyhaulers.com/lawn-mower.png

WhyFi 05-25-22 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22519190)
Not much of an issue with a properly designed layout--trucks on one side of the building and other on the other side.

You mean the ones where you invariably have to brake before the on-ramp, when you discover that a stationary 18-wheeler was blocking your view of the other 18-wheeler hurtling towards you from the side?

Yeah, those are great.

Velo Vol 05-25-22 08:22 AM

By the way, I'll be leaving the friendly confines of Knox County for a road trip to dumb dumb land for the weekend. I'll probably stop at a truck stop along the way. I will not be buying any hot sauce.

Velo Vol 05-25-22 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22519203)
You mean the ones where you invariably have to brake before the on-ramp, when you discover that a stationary 18-wheeler was blocking your view of the other 18-wheeler hurtling towards you from the side?

Yeah, those are great.

Some of them are a mess, some of them are fine. Note: "properly designed."

Bah Humbug 05-25-22 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22519189)
What's the word on the current Pinarello Prince? Anybody know anything about them?

My overall impression is that buying a Pinarello but not springing for the Dogma is a headscratcher. Whether that’s as unfair as Boxster scorn is an open question, but I do think that explains the lack of discussion.

WhyFi 05-25-22 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22519205)
I will not be buying any hot sauce.

rjones28 05-25-22 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22519205)
By the way, I'll be leaving the friendly confines of Knox County for a road trip to dumb dumb land for the weekend. I'll probably stop at a truck stop along the way. I will not be buying any hot sauce.

You shouldn't speak that way about your homeland.

Mojo31 05-25-22 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22519190)

I don't want to comingle with monster pickup truck drivers on Knox County roads. We should ban those.

But in these comments on 18-wheelers one thing keeps coming up – bathrooms. Buc-ee’s is known for its obsessively clean bathrooms, and the company takes it very seriously. The stalls are endless spacious closets and each one has a hand sanitizer pump by it. A cleaning crew works around the clock.Given Buc-ee’s reputation as an uber-clean roadside attraction, some truck drivers can’t help but see a concealed motive behind its 18-wheeler ban – that truckers are just too trashy for this family establishment. And it seems many members of the public see it the same way.

“They don’t want the riff raff of truck drivers pissing on the ground at night, leaving piss bottles everywhere and trashing the place,” said one Facebook commenter on trucking Facebook page
America Over the Road " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
America Over the Road " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

“Can’t blame them,” said another. “No trash laying everywhere, light poles bent from getting run over … piss bottles laying around.”

“The way most truck drivers present themselves is a disgrace,” another complained. “This is a nice family establishment.”
Opinion: Let the truckers in, Buc-ee’s | kvue.com

Velo Vol 05-25-22 08:37 AM

Time to mow.

Bah Humbug 05-25-22 09:32 AM

Much as they won't want to admit it, there's a difference - in aggregate - between truckers and individual drivers. It's not hard to see the difference at a truck stop. Not allowing truckers at a rest area is no different from a fancy restaurant with a dress code; that restaurant is supplied by truck as well, but the driver needs a shower and change before dining. It's a spurious, bad argument. Truckers can go to Buc'ees as long as they're not in trucker mode.

genejockey 05-25-22 09:44 AM

It was a hot one last night, at least it was the hottest ride so far this year. 89 degrees, though that was down from 90+ earlier that afternoon. No problems with the heat, but some problems with the bike fit. I'd swapped saddles on the Centurion and I thought I'd put the new saddle at the same setback, but in reality, it was at least a cm farther back, which felt worse and worse over the course of the 21 miles. Fixed that, and we'll see how it turns out this afternoon. Unfortunately I forgot to bring a bottle with me to work, so I'm gonna have to make use of the water stops and tank up. And prehydrating, probably.

Mojo31 05-25-22 09:45 AM

I just took my Taycan to get a state inspection so I can renew the plates. I pull in, the guy looks at the odometer and says it only needs a safety inspection (since no emissions), enters some info in his computer, and charged me $7. Never once checked anything on the car.

Had a nice chat with the guy though.

genejockey 05-25-22 09:46 AM

Another average day.
Wordle 340 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

bampilot06 05-25-22 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22519212)
My overall impression is that buying a Pinarello but not springing for the Dogma is a headscratcher. Whether that’s as unfair as Boxster scorn is an open question, but I do think that explains the lack of discussion.

Prince is for people who think Pinarello is the best bike manufacturer out there but can’t afford the actual Dogma.

Its amazing how many Princes I see in my area. The reviews online are not great.

bampilot06 05-25-22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22519231)
Time to mow.

Do my yard while your at it. I don’t have the time.

DougRNS 05-25-22 10:09 AM

You people are argumentative. What happened to the kinder, gentler Addiction?:foo:

genejockey 05-25-22 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22519349)
Do my yard while your at it. I don’t have the time.

Looking at last week's leader board, I think I know why.

genejockey 05-25-22 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22519388)
You people are argumentative. What happened to the kinder, gentler Addiction?:foo:

One is tempted to respond caustically.

Mojo31 05-25-22 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22519346)
Prince is for people who think Pinarello is the best bike manufacturer out there but can’t afford the actual Dogma.

Its amazing how many Princes I see in my area. The reviews online are not great.

These seem pretty good.

Pinarello Prince Disk Review - Peloton Magazine

Pinarello Prince review | Cycling Weekly

genejockey 05-25-22 10:35 AM

I know people love the look, but the CF Pinarellos always look half melted, to me.
(Those grapes are probably sour, anyway.)

Okay, I wouldn't refuse one if offered for free, but if I had a boatload of money, I'd be looking elsewhere for a superbike.

Mojo31 05-25-22 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22519431)
I know people love the look, but the CF Pinarellos always look half melted, to me.

Okay, I wouldn't refuse one if offered for free, but if I had a boatload of money, I'd be looking elsewhere for a superbike.

The Dogma is a boatload of money, but the Prince Di2 is comparably priced to the Emonda Di2. That blue Prince looks super cool to me. None around here to look at though as the closest one in my size is 100 miles away.

WhyFi 05-25-22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22519431)

The wavy forks from a decade ago, that looked like a dagger from a D&D player's wet dreams, were hideous. The current crop aren't nearly as offensive.

genejockey 05-25-22 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22519457)
The wavy forks from a decade ago, that looked like a dagger from a D&D player's wet dreams, were hideous. The current crop aren't nearly as offensive.

This is what my Dad used to call "Praising with faint damns". And it reminds me of when the Not Yet Mrs. GeneJockey and I were dating in college, and she would say that she felt fat and ugly, and I would, of course, truthfully reassure her that she was neither. One time I was tired of the dance and so I said, "You're not THAT fat."

She hit me. THEN she laughed.

bampilot06 05-25-22 12:05 PM

Does anybody know of a good free HRV app? The one I was using, I thought was free but now I can’t access the data without paying. My fitbit does okay but I don’t know if I trust it’s accuracy.