Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

rsbob 08-12-23 08:13 PM

27 easy ones with no real climbs. Tested my max speed on a flat and managed to hit 30 before the legs complained.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4a8755b5b.jpeg
Mosquito assembly area
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...656d76a48.jpeg
Typical country road
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59d0c0f5c.jpeg
Corn is getting tall
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3ef4e319b.jpeg
Boeing Classic Golf flyover

andcarrotrope 08-13-23 07:27 PM

32.51 miles. Exactly.

Troul 08-13-23 08:08 PM

103 miles. the weekend went by too fast.

rsbob 08-13-23 10:25 PM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22983613)
103 miles. the weekend went by too fast.

Don’t know how you do it riding in your weather and road conditions. Tip of the hat to your sir.

With temps in the 90s here, and being an older weather (weather) wimp, did a 10 mile ZWIFT session. Boring. And thanks to the latest IOS upgrade, my lightening adaptor no longer works with the TV. Need to order a proprietary Apple adaptor at ridiculous money.

Troul 08-14-23 08:13 AM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22983718)
Donít know how you do it riding in your weather and road conditions. Tip of the hat to your sir.

With temps in the 90s here, and being an older weather (weather) wimp, did a 10 mile ZWIFT session. Boring. And thanks to the latest IOS upgrade, my lightening adaptor no longer works with the TV. Need to order a proprietary Apple adaptor at ridiculous money.

I shift the environment out & shift thru the gears. Always try to shift out the #2's prior, to lighten the load.

Sierra_rider 08-14-23 08:17 AM

25 miles and 2500' gain yesterday, kept it short in case I needed to play with cleat position on my new pedals. Luckily, the widest stance option worked with my wider-than-previous SPD SLs.

Headed out the door right now to meet up with someone and do a moderate length gravel loop.

jaxgtr 08-14-23 12:06 PM

Felt like crap on Sunday after the heat beating I took on Saturday, but I still did 10 to keep the legs loose. Got the new Magped pedals in today and installed. Gave them a quick 2 min spin while I was on lunch, hopefully the wife will find these much easier to deal with and not taking 5 mins to clip in each foot. I will have to get used to the feel and adjust the little plate around to get my foot position correct. Looks like a cool system though and pedals are incredibly light. Once she is done riding this afternoon, I will take a spin on them as well.

rsbob 08-14-23 01:10 PM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22984227)
Felt like crap on Sunday after the heat beating I took on Saturday, but I still did 10 to keep the legs loose. Got the new Magped pedals in today and installed. Gave them a quick 2 min spin while I was on lunch, hopefully the wife will find these much easier to deal with and not taking 5 mins to clip in each foot. I will have to get used to the feel and adjust the little plate around to get my foot position correct. Looks like a cool system though and pedals are incredibly light. Once she is done riding this afternoon, I will take a spin on them as well.

Never heard of them. Something new or am I as out of it as others may think? Donít answer that.

30 miles and 1900í. Hit a lemon aid stand to support the young entrepreneurs.

jaxgtr 08-14-23 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22984303)
Never heard of them. Something new or am I as out of it as others may think? Donít answer that.

30 miles and 1900í. Hit a lemon aid stand to support the young entrepreneurs.

They been around a few years, there are a couple of different brands, but most of them are flats pedals, and since we both have gravel\xc shoes, I opted for the gravel version of the pedals. You don't clip in directly to the pedal, they have a very strong magnet that keeps your shoe attached. I went with the Magped Gravel

Sierra_rider 08-14-23 01:53 PM

Did a gravel ride today, 4 hours, almost 52 miles, 5300' of gain, and 1 tire puncture. The tire puncture was a real PITA too...happened on first gravel descent, the plug kept working its way back out during the ride. I had to push it back in and pump it up on 3 more occasions.

Sierra_rider 08-14-23 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22984337)
They been around a few years, there are a couple of different brands, but most of them are flats pedals, and since we both have gravel\xc shoes, I opted for the gravel version of the pedals. You don't clip in directly to the pedal, they have a very strong magnet that keeps your shoe attached. I went with the Magped Gravel

Interesting concept, I've never seen those before. I'm a dyed in the wool SPD and SPD SL guy, but I could see the benefit of that system for certain riders and/or certain disciplines. Even for my enduro/all mountain riding, I'm running caged Shimano XT spd pedals, but there are times that you have to unclip and the terrain makes getting clipped back in very difficult.

jaxgtr 08-14-23 02:08 PM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 22984352)
Interesting concept, I've never seen those before. I'm a dyed in the wool SPD and SPD SL guy, but I could see the benefit of that system for certain riders and/or certain disciplines. Even for my enduro/all mountain riding, I'm running caged Shimano XT spd pedals, but there are times that you have to unclip and the terrain makes getting clipped back in very difficult.

Yea I have been using Time ATAC's since early 2000's, love them. Do mostly road riding, but an occasional offroad stint, but I got tired of 2 pedal systems. She is just really frustrated by the clipping in an out bit and will not use them on the road at all, so I opted to try these if for nothing else indoors. I had a set of extra time pedals I installed, they are so simple to get in and out of , but she is really struggling with it. If this works for her, then she will see out simple it is to get in and out, then I would probably get a set for her bike.

rsbob 08-14-23 05:30 PM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 22984342)
Did a gravel ride today, 4 hours, almost 52 miles, 5300' of gain, and 1 tire puncture. The tire puncture was a real PITA too...happened on first gravel descent, the plug kept working its way back out during the ride. I had to push it back in and pump it up on 3 more occasions.

I know of what you speak, a real PITA. You may want to consider going from bacon to this Dyna Plug

jaxgtr 08-14-23 06:04 PM

Got in 25 with 1K feet of ascent. Legs felt really good today, unlike the wasteland of yesterday,

Sierra_rider 08-14-23 09:17 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22984579)
I know of what you speak, a real PITA. You may want to consider going from bacon to this Dyna Plug

Similar to the Dyna plug, my order of Stan's darts showed up in the mail this afternoon. Just to give it a shot, I inserted one in the hole...didn't seal at all. I've heard the Dyna plugs work much better than the Darts, so I'll still give them a shot. The hole/gash ended up being a little larger than it originally looked like, I finally ended up taking the tire off and patching it from the inside once I got home.

rsbob 08-14-23 09:19 PM


Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 22984770)
Similar to the Dyna plug, my order of Stan's darts showed up in the mail this afternoon. Just to give it a shot, I inserted one in the hole...didn't seal at all. I've heard the Dyna plugs work much better than the Darts, so I'll still give them a shot. The hole/gash ended up being a little larger than it originally looked like, I finally ended up taking the tire off and patching it from the inside once I got home.

Did you use a conventional tire patch or Gorilla Tape orÖ?

Sierra_rider 08-14-23 09:33 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22984772)
Did you use a conventional tire patch or Gorilla Tape orÖ?

Conventional patch. Not necessarily the small bike-specific patches, but some larger/thicker patches...glued on with rubber cement of course. This is my go-to permanent fix on most tubeless bike tires, I haven't had a repeat failure yet with this set up...although I've only been riding gravel for a couple of months. My previous tubeless experience is with mtb tires. The lightweight XC tires usually seal themselves, my DH tires almost always seal themselves.

Sierra_rider 08-15-23 01:12 PM

Only 29 miles and 3600' today.

SpeedyBlueBiker 08-15-23 06:47 PM

42 miles today. Left around 10:30am so that I could be back before it got to warm in the afternoon.

rsbob 08-15-23 11:55 PM

20 virtual (fake) miles with 1200í . Some how managed to get the polka dot jersey on the UCI course.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5fb6c5848.jpeg

Troul 08-16-23 02:04 AM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22985999)
20 virtual (fake) miles with 1200í . Some how managed to get the polka dot jersey on the UCI course.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5fb6c5848.jpeg

that's one way to keep the bicycle clean.

Eyes Roll 08-16-23 09:42 PM

66 miles round trip. 33 miles one way. In total, it took about 5 hours leisurely ride on a fixie. The ride was mostly flat.

Inspired by this thread 👇, but I don't think I can do it five days a week. Nevertheless, great workout.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...ute-crazy.html

Broctoon 08-16-23 10:19 PM

22 mile group ride. Weather was hot, about 93 degrees. But our route is flat, and of course itís a bit easier riding in a pace line. It was nice!

Troul 08-17-23 07:01 AM

19 miles, before priorities needed to get done.

Broctoon 08-17-23 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22986020)
that's one way to keep the bicycle clean.

Also, I don't know of anyone ever getting hit by a car in Zwift.

Broctoon 08-17-23 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker (Post 22985818)
42 miles today. Left around 10:30am so that I could be back before it got to warm in the afternoon.

Around here, it's been getting quite warm starting about 10 AM. I have pretty good heat tolerance, I just have to remind myself to hydrate. My wife hates the heat. She usually won't ride if temps are above ~82 degrees. Therefore, if I want her to go with me, I have to agree to leave by 6 or 7 AM.

Troul 08-17-23 10:45 AM


Originally Posted by Broctoon (Post 22987344)
Also, I don't know of anyone ever getting hit by a car in Zwift.

my luck, a car would come blasting thru the wall, with the way traffic has been lately.

rsbob 08-17-23 12:42 PM

Not all the scenery is beautiful as with this 26 miler yesterday. But I did meet two very friendly mutts during a coffee break.


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fa75fe172.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2a29dbc15.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3c7ec4353.jpeg

Troul 08-18-23 12:21 PM

104 miles, pre Woodward dream cruise.

Jedneck 08-18-23 05:39 PM

55miles averaged 100ft/mile climbing


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.