Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

noglider 11-05-15 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 18295814)
Breeze & Angel made a nifty 4-wire adaptor that lets you mount such a saddle on a microadjust seatpost. I used one to install a Brooks on my RB-T. There must be someone making a piece like this relic from the '80s. I have a spare but am keeping it. Pics soon.

I don't see the point. The two-rail clamps are fine, and it's possible to get a good position without microadjustment on this type of bike.

noglider 11-05-15 09:32 AM

I had to look up that old British notation. I knew that there were 20 shillings to a pound and 12 pence to a shilling, but I didn't know that /- meant shillings. So converting that into "metric money," that's £1.20, though I don't know how to compensate for inflation.

Understanding old British money - pounds, shillings and pence

bmthom.gis 11-05-15 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18295793)
@bmthom.gis, don't de-rust that chain. Just buy a new one. 1/8" chains are cheap and last a lifetime.

I probably will just buy a new one. I let it soak overnight. White vinegar does a darn decent job of rust removal (and odor neutralizing of my garage!) - I wiped it down and 95% of all the rust and junk is gone, but it's still an old chain.

I think I need to get myself a Brooks B66 in the next few months. I like the look of the double rail.

BigChief 11-05-15 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis (Post 18296245)
I probably will just buy a new one. I let it soak overnight. White vinegar does a darn decent job of rust removal (and odor neutralizing of my garage!) - I wiped it down and 95% of all the rust and junk is gone, but it's still an old chain.

I think I need to get myself a Brooks B66 in the next few months. I like the look of the double rail.

I always replace older chains. I like how smooth and quite a new chain feels. But before you do, you might want to consider which cog you would like on the rear hub. Everybody's different, but many of us prefer gearing down AW hubs. I like 22T cogs on mine.

gster 11-05-15 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18296361)
I always replace older chains. I like how smooth and quite a new chain feels. But before you do, you might want to consider which cog you would like on the rear hub. Everybody's different, but many of us prefer gearing down AW hubs. I like 22T cogs on mine.

Word of Warning!
NEVER mix vinegar and bleach together.... Produces chlorine gas and is very toxic.
I did it the other day and then looked it up on the interweb...

gster 11-05-15 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18296222)
I had to look up that old British notation. I knew that there were 20 shillings to a pound and 12 pence to a shilling, but I didn't know that /- meant shillings. So converting that into "metric money," that's £1.20, though I don't know how to compensate for inflation.

Understanding old British money - pounds, shillings and pence

Your math is sound. 1.2 pounds in 1960 would equal about 26 pounds today which, in turn would equal $40.00 (US) or $52.00 (CDN) today.

adventurepdx 11-05-15 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18296207)
I don't see the point. The two-rail clamps are fine, and it's possible to get a good position without microadjustment on this type of bike.

Well, it might not be necessary on an old-style clamp seatpost, but it would definitely be helpful if you have a modern microadjust seatpost. In fact, I want to throw my B-66 on a bike with the modern seatpost, so thankfully I have the "sandwich".

adventurepdx 11-05-15 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 18294547)
26 x 1 3/8" = 590mm = 650A = EA3

See Tire Sizing Systems.

I always love this graphic that's over on Wikipedia, helps you visualize the different 26 inch wheel sizes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...data_02-en.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...data_02-en.png

adventurepdx 11-05-15 01:25 PM

For those of you in the Portland, Oregon area, I'll be putting on a Three Speed Pub Crawl on Sunday November 15. Meet at 4pm at Hedge House. We'll hit up at least three pubs, about five miles of riding, not a loop but ends near transit. Prepare for dark and wet!
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5725/2...92e5497bb5.jpg

noglider 11-05-15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 18296873)
Well, it might not be necessary on an old-style clamp seatpost, but it would definitely be helpful if you have a modern microadjust seatpost. In fact, I want to throw my B-66 on a bike with the modern seatpost, so thankfully I have the "sandwich".

My point is that microadjustability solves a problem that rarely exists, if ever.

3speedslow 11-05-15 01:40 PM

I would suffer dark and wet for an old 3 speed pub crawl. Sadly I am on the other coast.

Sounds like real fun ! Like to see a few shots if any are taken.

Best we got around here are Fixie choirs practice.

bmthom.gis 11-05-15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18296969)
I would suffer dark and wet for an old 3 speed pub crawl. Sadly I am on the other coast.

Sounds like real fun ! Like to see a few shots if any are taken.

Best we got around here are Fixie choirs practice.

It's only "suffering" until the first taste of the first pint :lol::roflmao2::thumb:

I think we should do something similar in my town. There has to be more than 2 of us with 3 speeds...

adventurepdx 11-05-15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18296944)
My point is that microadjustability solves a problem that rarely exists, if ever.

You may be right.

adventurepdx 11-05-15 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18296969)
I would suffer dark and wet for an old 3 speed pub crawl. Sadly I am on the other coast. Sounds like real fun ! Like to see a few shots if any are taken.

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis (Post 18297039)
It's only "suffering" until the first taste of the first pint :lol::roflmao2::thumb:
I think we should do something similar in my town. There has to be more than 2 of us with 3 speeds...

Thanks! You folks should definitely do three speed pub crawls of your own!

I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition. ;)

dweenk 11-05-15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 18297113)
Thanks! You folks should definitely do three speed pub crawls of your own!

I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition. ;)

Are you thinking, "Hold my beer and watch this"?

3speedslow 11-05-15 04:24 PM

I'm thinking after stop three would be the best time to do the "stopping power of caliper brakes on wet steel rims" competition. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yahhh ! Drinking games... Purely in the interest of science:rolleyes:

gster 11-06-15 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18297424)

Yahhh ! Drinking games... Purely in the interest of science:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
It's very dangerous to drink and ride a bike. Trust me, I know.
Last time I did that, I spilled my drink.

gugie 11-06-15 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 18296914)
For those of you in the Portland, Oregon area, I'll be putting on a Three Speed Pub Crawl on Sunday November 15. Meet at 4pm at Hedge House. We'll hit up at least three pubs, about five miles of riding, not a loop but ends near transit. Prepare for dark and wet!

Well, put a 3 speed on my list of bikes I need...

thumpism 11-06-15 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18296207)

Good heavens, man, this is C&V. If you can't justify using a classic superfluous '80s aftermarket trinket when mating one vintage piece with another then we all might as well just go home.

3speedslow 11-06-15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18299522)
Yahhh ! Drinking games... Purely in the interest of science:rolleyes:

It's very dangerous to drink and ride a bike. Trust me, I know.
Last time I did that, I spilled my drink.[/QUOTE]

Don't let this happen to you. Invest in a good cup holder !:)

gster 11-07-15 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=486681

BigChief 11-07-15 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My work hours are crazy right now. Only a bunch of short breaks through the day without enough time to get into stripping the frame of my Rudge. But I did try bolting one of the Tektro 800A brakes I bought for the project on the rear. My plan calls for alloy rims, but it still has the old steel Endricks for now. I rode the bike up and down the road a couple of times and decided that, with good pads, I really don't have a problem with the original front brake. Only the rear is weak. The added leverage of the 800A made a noticeable improvement and balances well with the old Raleigh front brake. With the pads set close to the rims, there is enough travel in the original levers to accommodate the extra leverage. I was wondering how I was going to adjust the toe in on the cast alloy brake arms, but I didn't need to. I just bolted it on and the toe in was perfect. I'm liking the combination of the 800A on the back and the Raleigh on the front. I think I'll shorten the bolt on the front Tektro and use it on the rear of one of my other Sports bikes.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=486698

gster 11-07-15 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 18301418)
My work hours are crazy right now. Only a bunch of short breaks through the day without enough time to get into stripping the frame of my Rudge. But I did try bolting one of the Tektro 800A brakes I bought for the project on the rear. My plan calls for alloy rims, but it still has the old steel Endricks for now. I rode the bike up and down the road a couple of times and decided that, with good pads, I really don't have a problem with the original front brake. Only the rear is weak. The added leverage of the 800A made a noticeable improvement and balances well with the old Raleigh front brake. With the pads set close to the rims, there is enough travel in the original levers to accommodate the extra leverage. I was wondering how I was going to adjust the toe in on the cast alloy brake arms, but I didn't need to. I just bolted it on and the toe in was perfect. I'm liking the combination of the 800A on the back and the Raleigh on the front. I think I'll shorten the bolt on the front Tektro and use it on the rear of one of my other Sports bikes.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=486698

It doesn't look out of place.

dweenk 11-07-15 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 18301251)

I'll take a dozen of those Tourist Bags @ $1.62, and 4 saddles @ $2.94. Is that Canadian or U.S $?

BigChief 11-07-15 12:02 PM

I don't think anybody sells that style saddle bag anymore. Leatherette with those diamond shaped side panels. That's what you saw 99% of the time on English bikes back in the day.