Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

noglider 02-14-18 09:42 PM

[MENTION=466652]johnnyspaghetti[/MENTION], what are you using to shoot your pictures? If you use an iphone, shoot them with the home button on the right, not on the left.

BigChief 02-14-18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20170217)
I have to agree with you. I drive so much during the week (crazy city drivers), that by the weekend I just
want to ride a bicycle.
I haven't been on my BSA for a while.

It's the opposite for me. Rural Maine is heaven for motorcycles 8 months out of the year. No traffic to speak of, just miles of winding roads through the countryside. But those same paved roads are too dangerous for me riding at bicycle speeds with cars and big trucks coming up behind me. Lots of dips and curves, no shoulders so you have to depend of drivers seeing you and responding quickly. I tend to stick to the local unpaved roads.

BigChief 02-15-18 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by kathy45 (Post 20170403)
Beautifull bikes and good inspiration for me.thanks a lot.love this thread.I love cycling but after 1 hour of I cant do more because of knee pain.

I have bum knees too. The arthritis in my joints keeps me from riding long distances on drop bar bikes like I did when I was younger. However, I can still enjoy cycling by taking shorter, more leisurely rides on these old upright 3 speeds. In fact, as long as I don't over do it , riding actually helps reduce my knee problems.

neonmartini 02-15-18 06:53 AM

Greetings. Well, I just became the proud owner of a 1963 Raleigh Sports Deluxe. Sorry I don't have pics yet tho. Someone painted over it, but I can still see the relief of the original decals. Anyone have a good way of just removing that paint without damaging the decals underneath? Also, what colors did this come in? Looks like the original paint might be a chocolate brown color. or it could be just black mixed with rust. :lol: Anyway, I want to fix this thing up so I'll try to get pics up at some point. Cheers!

BigChief 02-15-18 07:38 AM

There's no access to a 1963 Raleigh catalog that I know of, but the Sheldon Brown site has 1964 and "Royal Tan" is listed as a color option.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora...1964/index.htm
I'm afraid there's no practical way to remove the later paint and end up with a good looking original finish, but it does leave you with the option of doing a "like new" restoration project. I've been thinking about doing this for some time now, but I would never strip off an original finish. It would have to be painted over. I know that the "RALEIGH" transfers for the mid 60s downtube and chainguard are available. As is the made in England and 20-30 sticker. Not sure about the red "SPORTS" transfer for the seat tube. Looking forward to your pics.

nlerner 02-15-18 08:21 AM

Fwiw, the '62 Raleigh USA catalog lists Sports colors as "beautifully finished in Jet Black with gold lining (Raleigh's all-time best seller); Excuslive Matador Red or Venetian Blue."

browngw 02-15-18 11:20 AM

Raleigh DL1 Number II

3 Attachment(s)
A couple of preliminary shots of my second DL1 project. Some of the components were in extraordinary condition and some were the worst I've seen. Weather and outdoor storage damaged the hub (rust) and the top tube was badly scarred. The front mudguard had lost all its paint. Came without chainguard or kickstand. I have a DL1 already, so this one may be offered for sale.

ps. Big Chief, I am trying the brakes leading on the front, even though they came lagging.

Salubrious 02-15-18 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kathy45 (Post 20170403)
Beautifull bikes and good inspiration for me.thanks a lot.love this thread.I love cycling but after 1 hour of I cant do more because of knee pain.

If you have troubles with knees that get worse with riding, shorter cranks are recommended!

You can make as much power but without having to bend the knee so much. I know a lot of people that use this solution, and even someone that offers shortened cranks and is even into 3-speeds- the Bikesmith, Mark Stonich.

He got a set of shorter cottered cranks from me recently and you can find them on ebay. The trick is whether they fit the bottom bracket axle; that might take some sorting out but you can make it happen. Alternatively you could get a more modern crank from him and simply replace the bottom bracket axle to fit.

BikeSmith Design and Fabrication

BigChief 02-15-18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by browngw (Post 20171073)
A couple of preliminary shots of my second DL1 project. Some of the components were in extraordinary condition and some were the worst I've seen. Weather and outdoor storage damaged the hub (rust) and the top tube was badly scarred. The front mudguard had lost all its paint. Came without chainguard or kickstand. I have a DL1 already, so this one may be offered for sale.

ps. Big Chief, I am trying the brakes leading on the front, even though they came lagging.

Wow, that is turning out nice. Beautiful. For some reason I can let go of Sports models easily. They come and go, but it would be tough for me to sell that roadster.

noglider 02-15-18 12:37 PM

Those bikes look brand new, [MENTION=298130]browngw[/MENTION]!

johnnyspaghetti 02-15-18 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 20170314)
[MENTION=466652]johnnyspaghetti[/MENTION], what are you using to shoot your pictures? If you use an iphone, shoot them with the home button on the right, not on the left.

My phone takes crap pictures & I use when I can her I pad which flips automatically & then gmail them to myself then work with that on my laptop. They appear correct in my mail.i have took another shot

Attachment 599625

browngw 02-15-18 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before the clean, polish and rebuild. The transformation always amazes me. Now just some weather to get it out for a test drive and see how well my first AW rebuild works.

BigChief 02-15-18 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20171721)
My phone takes crap pictures & I use when I can her I pad which flips automatically & then gmail them to myself then work with that on my laptop. They appear correct in my mail.i have took another shot

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...1&disp=safe&zw

I use an iphone camera and a laptop with Thunderbird for email. For some reason, landscape photos display correctly in my email, but if I copy them onto my hard drive they rotate to portrait. Windows Photo Viewer has a rotate feature I have to use before I can use the attach feature on this forum. I'm sure there's a feature somewhere on the iphone that preserves the landscape format. I just haven't bothered finding it.

johnnyspaghetti 02-15-18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20171827)
I use an iphone camera and a laptop with Thunderbird for email. For some reason, landscape photos display correctly in my email, but if I copy them onto my hard drive they rotate to portrait. Windows Photo Viewer has a rotate feature I have to use before I can use the attach feature on this forum. I'm sure there's a feature somewhere on the iphone that preserves the landscape format. I just haven't bothered finding it.

I know there is a simple solution. My difficulty is finding it.

gster 02-15-18 07:19 PM

Not British but...

1 Attachment(s)
An interesting hybrid.
A Skyline 3 speed from Czechoslovakia.
Listed here in Toronto.
Sturmey Archer hub and the very rare single throttle shifter.
This has a nice pump as well.
Listed at $90.00
Attachment 599619

johnnyspaghetti 02-16-18 08:10 PM

Going to Texas. Need to see whats in Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, need to search. Whats on I 35. Lets see.Bike rack holds 2.

johnnyspaghetti 02-16-18 09:40 PM

This one is off I 35 2 miles

https://images.craigslist.org/00000_...Io_600x450.jpg

johnnyspaghetti 02-16-18 09:46 PM

How big is this frame?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/d/robin-hood-vintage-3-speed/6482702848.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00r0r_...o_1200x900.jpg

BigChief 02-17-18 04:44 AM

It's a 23" late 60s, but the rust really worked over this one.

thumpism 02-17-18 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20173907)
Going to Texas. Need to see whats in Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, need to search. Whats on I 35. Lets see.Bike rack holds 2.

In cases like this I always do my searching after I've been through the travel areas. I might have missed something, but I find it always tends to promote marital accord if I'm later disappointed and keep it to myself instead of battling with the bride on how to spend our travel time, especially on what I think is important relative to what she thinks is important.

If you're traveling alone, knock yourself out. And get a bigger bike rack.

thumpism 02-17-18 06:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Went to the co-op today to check things out but it was closed, so availed myself of the opportunity to check out a new thrift/antique shop in the neighborhood. I was lured by a junk bike out front so did not expect much but found this little treasure inside, a fully chrome plated Silver Arrow ladies' 3-speed. It features a Sturmey window shifter and a rear hub I could not identify but it looked Sturmey-ish; large "3 SPEED" marking and the part number 45221 but no date code. Interesting oil ports on rear hub and BB shell that look more like Zerk fittings instead of the usual flip-top oil cap. It's a shame the chrome is not as nice as it could be, but the bike is priced at $125 and if it were really nice it would likely cost much more.
Attachment 599961

Attachment 599962

Attachment 599963

Attachment 599964

Attachment 599965

BigChief 02-17-18 07:09 PM

Hard to make out in the photo, but that may be a Brampton hub. A licensed SA copy. Some of them had that kind of thin large font on the shell. Looks like it may be a Birmingham made bike, hard to say, It does have tons of cool.

Super.bee 02-17-18 09:13 PM

affordable Brooklyn offering

Wish this was closer to me... On second thought, I have plenty of projects, and this is surely a project. But this must be near some of you, and it looks salvageable, perhaps with repainted fenders.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/England-Vinta...&ul_noapp=true

thumpism 02-17-18 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20175307)
Hard to make out in the photo, but that may be a Brampton hub. A licensed SA copy. Some of them had that kind of thin large font on the shell. Looks like it may be a Birmingham made bike, hard to say, It does have tons of cool.

I could not see any name on it. Searching on Brampton shows a font that does not match what this hub looked like. No doubt it's a Sturmey clone but I'll have to go back with a rag and a magnifying glass to find out which one it is. I don't need the bike, and certainly not at that price, but I'd like to know more about it. I'll let you all know what I find out. If it were cheaper I'd be concerned that someone unappreciative might get it, but at that price it's likely to be purchased by someone who needs a classy bike-shaped fixture for a hipster bar or restaurant.

gster 02-18-18 06:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 20175561)
I could not see any name on it. Searching on Brampton shows a font that does not match what this hub looked like. No doubt it's a Sturmey clone but I'll have to go back with a rag and a magnifying glass to find out which one it is. I don't need the bike, and certainly not at that price, but I'd like to know more about it. I'll let you all know what I find out. If it were cheaper I'd be concerned that someone unappreciative might get it, but at that price it's likely to be purchased by someone who needs a classy bike-shaped fixture for a hipster bar or restaurant.

New Hudson had a Silver Arrow model but I doubt your bike is related.

Attachment 600019

Attachment 600020

Attachment 600021

BigChief 02-18-18 06:44 AM

I'm not as familiar with the Birmingham bikes as I am with Raleighs so I did a quick image search of Hercs and BSAs. No sign at all of that unusual arrangement of seat stays that are brazed onto dropouts at the bottom and bolted on at the top. No sign of that chainring either. Somehow, it still looks English to me, but who knows. I'm stumped.

BigChief 02-18-18 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Super.bee (Post 20175522)
Wish this was closer to me... On second thought, I have plenty of projects, and this is surely a project. But this must be near some of you, and it looks salvageable, perhaps with repainted fenders.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/England-Vinta...&ul_noapp=true

Yeah, it's not that far gone. I've had good results spot patching black enamel paint. To the point of having to look closely to see the repair. While there's no chance of me repairing the candy colors, I've wondered how well I could do with a solid color like this bike by mixing a match with Testors enamels and compounding.

thumpism 02-18-18 07:07 AM

I saw that red New Hudson in the limited searching I did. While everything on the bike looks native from a distance the tires and mattress saddle are marked "Taiwan" so it is possible that the rest of the bike might be of that origin, but I doubt it. Bikes of that apparent age from Taiwan are extremely rare, in my experience. In about 1980 the Puch Meteor Luxe was my introduction to Taiwanese bicycles and this one looks some decades older and "better." It has the double-ended brake cables one associates with English bikes. We shall see. I'm going back today.

I might have to buy the thing just to be able to spend more time inspecting it. Fortunately, the space the shop occupies is relatively vast, so I might be able to hide from staff and fellow rummagers along the back wall for the time it takes me to find out what I need to know.

Super.bee 02-18-18 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20175824)
Yeah, it's not that far gone. I've had good results spot patching black enamel paint. To the point of having to look closely to see the repair. While there's no chance of me repairing the candy colors, I've wondered how well I could do with a solid color like this bike by mixing a match with Testors enamels and compounding.

This looks like dark green to me but I'm not sure. Any luck with matching that?

I thought this bike was interesting for the Sunbeam badge which I haven't seen, the foil stripes on the seat tube (rather like the 70s AMF-branded Hercules), and of course the B72, which looks like it has been abraded but rivets seem to be holding. Anyone have info on Sunbeam? Or for that matter some kind of list of manufacturers, beyond Sheldon's?

BigChief 02-18-18 08:12 AM

I haven't tried anything but black so far. I carefully use fine sandpaper to knock off the rusty high spots and feather off the edges of the original paint around the rust. Then I use an artist brush to start laying in the black Rustoleum to fill in the pits where the rust ate away the steel. Once I have that somewhat leveled out I brush on a finish coat. Then I use a rubbing compound on the whole fender followed by a polishing compound then wax. I'm pretty sure I could get a decent solid color match using Testor enamels, but so far, it's only theory.