Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What kinds of grades do you guys climb? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256609)

CheGiantForLife 08-09-22 04:45 PM

What kinds of grades do you guys climb?

I think cyclists are the best conditioned athletes on the planet.

Today, I rode up a 10% grade for 3 minutes and was maxed out.
Had to switch back a few times. Fully winded and legs burning.
It was like .2 or .3 miles at the most.

I can not fathom how people do this for several miles !!
What do they do for Tour de France?
What kind of distances grades durations do you tackle?

The Chemist 08-09-22 04:51 PM

Shanghai is pretty much pancake flat, so the only climbing that I do is up onto bridges. The longest climb (i.e. biggest bridge) that I do is only about 500m in length, with a grade of only 5-6% maximum. Most 'climbs' here are much shorter than that.

Steve B. 08-09-22 04:56 PM

Long Island pretty flat as well and in my current level of condition, I avoid what few hills we have, thus its "Col De Meadowbrook Parkway" and the "Long Island Expressway Pass", etc., Needles to say, the Climbing feature on my Hammerhead Karoo is pretty much wasted.

zaje 08-09-22 04:58 PM

I live in country where we have one 7% climb for 1km (sorta), now I am in Alps and rented road bike. And it was not a big surprise that on first day I failed miserably to ride on nearby climbs, after one week I now can climb 5-7% for 3km, anything over 10% just makes me stop/bonk/fail. Anyways, today's stats says I have climbed 1km in 85km ride, which, for me, is quite impressive, taking in account my age and cycling history. So now I have plan/training target to get more fit for next year, to be able to get through 15% gradients :)

diphthong 08-09-22 05:33 PM

here in socal, we’ve got pretty much everything. looong block at 32%, long 20-mile climbs getting up above 8k feet and a bleepton of short, medium and long climbs in the 9%-18% range. the good thing about hitting the local muur(s) is that once you get in the habit, nothing seems insurmountable.

Bosco13 08-09-22 05:48 PM

I used to ride Sierra Road in San Jose a lot. 3.7 miles at an average grade of 9.5%.

datlas 08-09-22 05:54 PM

Steeper is better. To a point. My favorite local climb is almost a mile and about 10%.

Jedneck 08-09-22 06:14 PM

Anything from short flat to 5 mile average 9%. N short 20% If i cant peddle up them i go into 2 ft gear. Have yet to find a grade that 2 ft gear dont work on

seypat 08-09-22 06:19 PM

You want me to give a grade to my climbing?

B for effort.
F for ability.

70sSanO 08-09-22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 22604785)
You want me to give a grade to my climbing?

B for effort.
F for ability.

I’m more in the Pass/Fail camp.

John

rosefarts 08-09-22 06:32 PM

In my prime, 8a+.

spdntrxi 08-09-22 06:36 PM

I'm next to the foothills. I have .3mi of 15+% gut puncher within a mile of me.. and the major climbs like Diablo,Hamilton and Tam within 60min drive. Not to mention dirt climbs that are worse.

Broctoon 08-09-22 06:38 PM

I've got one I like to do from time to time that is 3 or maybe 3.5 miles at an average of 8%. It tires me right out, but that's partly because it falls in the middle of a route that is anywhere from 25 to 60-something miles long. (I sometimes drive to a starting point near the climb and make a small loop over the top, then down another canyon and back to the car, but other times I ride all the way to it from home.) It's called North Ogden Divide.

Here is my latest effort on it:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...867c07932.jpeg

A better map:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...21e1ece00.jpeg

I've done short climbs, like a mile or less, at 12 or maybe 15% gradient. I have no trouble climbing 4 or 5% for many miles. But my threshold for enjoyment with a combination of distance and steep climbing is probably the one mentioned above.

terrymorse 08-09-22 06:49 PM

Climbing steep grades requires practice. And pacing. And adequate gearing. And patience. And some technique.

If you're forced to slalom across the road, your gearing is too high, or you don't have adequate standing skills.

When climbing a very steep grade out of the saddle, it should feel like you are slowly climbing stairs. If it feels like you're running up stairs, you're probably going harder than you can sustain.

Take it slow.

Random11 08-09-22 07:01 PM

My daily ride is rolling hills with 10% max grades, but short (less than half a mile, and most shorter than that).

70sSanO 08-09-22 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22604824)
When climbing a very steep grade out of the saddle, it should feel like you are slowly climbing stairs. If it feels like you're running up stairs, you're probably going harder than you can sustain.

Take it slow.

Years ago before ultra wide cassettes, (freewheels), that was standard practice. Shift up a couple cogs and just slowly stair step your way up.

John

veganbikes 08-09-22 07:59 PM

I generally got mostly Bs but always tried to climb to As. My guess is your highest is a C but only because the teacher felt bad?

koala logs 08-09-22 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22604679)
Today, I rode up a 10% grade for 3 minutes and was maxed out.
Had to switch back a few times. Fully winded and legs burning.
It was like .2 or .3 miles at the most.

Are you carrying golf clubs on that climb?

CheGiantForLife 08-09-22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jedneck (Post 22604778)
Anything from short flat to 5 mile average 9%. N short 20% If i cant peddle up them i go into 2 ft gear. Have yet to find a grade that 2 ft gear dont work on

5 miles at 9% is insane!
What is 2ft gear?

Originally Posted by spdntrxi (Post 22604804)
I'm next to the foothills. I have .3mi of 15+% gut puncher within a mile of me.. and the major climbs like Diablo,Hamilton and Tam within 60min drive. Not to mention dirt climbs that are worse.

.3 mile of 15% seems attainable with practice.
15% is no joke, on the other hand.

Originally Posted by Broctoon (Post 22604808)
I've got one I like to do from time to time that is 3 or maybe 3.5 miles at an average of 8%.
I've done short climbs, like a mile or less, at 12 or maybe 15% gradient. I have no trouble climbing 4 or 5% for many miles. But my threshold for enjoyment with a combination of distance and steep climbing is probably the one mentioned above.

3 miles at 8% sounds like hell on earth.

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 22604824)
Climbing steep grades requires practice. And pacing. And adequate gearing. And patience. And some technique.
If you're forced to slalom across the road, your gearing is too high, or you don't have adequate standing skills.
Take it slow.

Whoa, it never occurred to me to stand up out of the saddle.
I am able to sit and climb in lowest gear and switch back for relief.
I did that as a kid on a BMX bike but never on my mountain bike on roads.
I will try that next time and see if its easier.

Originally Posted by Random11 (Post 22604834)
My daily ride is rolling hills with 10% max grades, but short (less than half a mile, and most shorter than that).

Is this a commute to work?
10% max on 1/2 mike sounds like a great ride.

CheGiantForLife 08-09-22 08:44 PM

What blows my mind is the sustained grade for miles.
I was able to climb 10% for 3 minutes and was tapped out
But, after coasting on flats for a minute, I was able to keep biking.
It is ALL about the rest intervals, for me.
But can not imagine cranking away for miles (30 min.

Polaris OBark 08-09-22 08:57 PM

Here is our local hard hill:

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/430.Alba%2520Road

Sadly, that little red schoolhouse was incinerated (along with a surrounding 88,000 acres).

CAT7RDR 08-09-22 09:07 PM

I have a one mile climb just outside my living space that maxes out at 22% but if I want to get in the dirt it rises to about 30% to a fire lookout for North Orange County, CA.
Never been on the dirt portion on a bike but have completed the asphalt section a few times. Would be lying if I did not say it was a struggle.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40553623

SpedFast 08-09-22 09:35 PM

I currently live on a small bay at sea level that requires a 2 miles stint at 7% grade in either direction unless I take the back road out of town and that is 12% and almost 3 miles. I used to live in the mountains at 6500 foot elevation, that tires you even before you start to climb haha. On my modern bike i can climb most hills in the saddle, but on the vintage bike I'm slowly climbing stairs. Since I ride purely for the workout though, I have really come to like hills and the slower pace that they force upon you (half the time)

zandoval 08-09-22 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife (Post 22604679)
What Kind Of Grades Do You Climb?

Short Ones! No more than 50 meters...

After that I am whipping out the Puffer and in my Size 12D gear...

sean.hwy 08-09-22 10:38 PM

I had to switch to a gravel bike with easier gearing for the bay area. My knees where not happy grinding away for hours at like 40rpm on a road bike with 36 front 30 back. ha-ha

Hard to say what % grade. If you are talking over miles and miles the avg grade goes way down. There's tons of 5+ miles mnts with 1/4 mile sections with 13% + grade here and there.