Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   BMX (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Some tips (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220255)

Bandits13 12-26-20 08:37 PM

Some tips

I just got a 26inch limited edition kink drifter. While trying to learn wheelies on it after transferring over from a MTB, I find it hard to stay in the air with the high gear ratio. I find myself going back down onto two wheels because of the heavy gears, or I push myself too far launching myself over the seat and looping out. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to make the transfer over onto the single speed gear easier to stay up on the wheelie without falling back down simply from that high gear ratio.

alo 12-27-20 01:42 AM

You may want to:
Change the gear ratio.
Extend the forks.
Raise the handlebars.
Make up a frame with a small wheel behind the back wheel which prevents you from going too far over.

Bandits13 12-27-20 03:24 PM

Im not really trying to buy new parts and alter things, i was thinking of like different tips like go faster stuff like that, or something i can do easily like change the brake position

mack_turtle 12-30-20 02:06 PM

you can't "extend the fork" on a BMX bike like alo suggested. not sure what that means. also, are you suggesting he put a wheelie bar on it? that's a bizarre suggestion.

check where the axle is in the dropouts. if you can shove it further forward by shortening the chain with a single half-link, or slightly changing the gear ratio, that will make the back end shorter and therefore easier to get your weight over the rear. that may not help you maintain that position, but it will be easier to get up there.

handlebar position is a big deal. start with the upright part of the handlebar parallel to your head tube. adjust for and aft to your liking, but it should be pretty close to parallel with the fork.

learn how to manual. wheelies are a half-assed substitute for a proper manual.

are you sitting down when you do this? I never learned how to sit and wheelie, probably because I always rode BMX with a very low saddle.

high pressure in your tires might help. if they are squishy, the handling will feel vague.

watch some "ride out" videos. those folks can wheelie.

fixiefix 12-30-20 08:44 PM

fixed bmx ftw, try it

Bandits13 12-31-20 11:48 AM

wow

That was a lot of info, i will try to do some of these as best as i can. after practicing for about 3 days i get get like 6-7 cranks around now, its just weird getting used to the single gear. I think i broke my tailbone so it gonna take a few weeks before i can practice again.

Bikerider007 12-31-20 12:24 PM

It probably pivotal seat so you can't slide seat back or that would help some. More your bars back some, make it somewhat easy to pull up, but not too easy to where you loop out right away. I find standing easier when you don't have right gear or a choice of gears. I grew up doing them on my older bros 10 speeds with the bars flipped back in the early 80s. Could go all day on one wheel, in circles.... Would do that when not on BMX.

A manual is more fun but challenging, easy 10x+ times harder to get down. Some never get it. But if you do it's a bit magical. I practiced months on end several days a week, looped out hundreds (if not thousands) of times until it was nothing but a quick hop on and off. I would literally dream of pulling off long ones and being able to push myself without pedaling. When I was finally able to get it on the regular, it was super satisfying! Wheelies can feel that way too. It just takes time. Find a place, set aside time and practice, practice, practice.

Bandits13 12-31-20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bikerider007 (Post 21856560)
It probably pivotal seat so you can't slide seat back or that would help some. More your bars back some, make it somewhat easy to pull up, but not too easy to where you loop out right away. I find standing easier when you don't have right gear or a choice of gears. I grew up doing them on my older bros 10 speeds with the bars flipped back in the early 80s. Could go all day on one wheel, in circles.... Would do that when not on BMX.

A manual is more fun but challenging, easy 10x+ times harder to get down. Some never get it. But if you do it's a bit magical. I practiced months on end several days a week, looped out hundreds (if not thousands) of times until it was nothing but a quick hop on and off. I would literally dream of pulling off long ones and being able to push myself without pedaling. When I was finally able to get it on the regular, it was super satisfying! Wheelies can feel that way too. It just takes time. Find a place, set aside time and practice, practice, practice.

Yea after getting down the single speed better i can go for like 5 seconds longer than i could, i loop out way to much though so i gotta get used to it a bit more. Its def a lot different going from a MTB to a BMX. When i wheelie i dont stand i sit on the seat