Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What BF member(s) do you want to meet from another area? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171577)

gugie 04-27-19 10:49 AM

What BF member(s) do you want to meet from another area?

I used to come here for the bikes. Then I started reading about the rides. At some point it became more about the people. I've had the great privledge of meeting some really fine people via this forum. I count some of them as amongst my best friends. Getting together to ride, wrench or grill is one of my favorite things to do, I look forward to planned get togethers.

The PNW is full of vintage bike riders, many of vintage age that share a passion for bikes and riding, and its been great meeting many of them. I get back down to my old stomping grounds of the SF Bay Area, and met and rode with several of the regular BF members a few times. @rccardr is living my dream retirement life, incorporating nearly monthly bike rides in various areas of the country, meeting and riding with other BF members met on this forum.

So, pick one area and tell me who you'd like to meet up with. It could be more than one person, but in the same area - could be in the same town, but somehow you could all meet and ride for one day.

nomadmax 04-27-19 11:13 AM

It'd be easier for me to make a list of the people I didn't want to meet. Everyone I've met face to face from BF are top notch, quality people. Now whether they can say the same after meeting me is another matter;)

davester 04-27-19 11:51 AM

I don't have a good feel for where everybody is located, except for the numerous BF folks I've already met at Eroica. I would certainly love to attend French Fender Day in Lyme, CT but I don't know who lives around there (also, I don't yet have a qualifying bike though I'd really love to get one). Wasn't there a C&V map somewhere that showed where everybody lived?

I must say that this is a great idea. One of the main reasons I like attending Eroica CA is that I get to meet up with a group of great people once a year who I might otherwise never encounter.

gugie 04-27-19 11:52 AM

Alright, I'll prime the pump. I'll pick one that I haven't had a chance to meet.
@bikemig is in Iowa. I don't know anyone else in Iowa. If I ever went to Middle Earth, I'd for sure hook up with him. We've emailed back and forth, talked on the phone once.

gugie 04-27-19 02:19 PM

Another one is @RobbieTunes. I really want to see if an Ironman really attracts the opposite sex.

gomango 04-27-19 02:23 PM

jiangshi, for sure.

Plenty of others as well....

non-fixie 04-27-19 02:40 PM

There's a hotel in Port Angeles that seems to contain a lot of nice bikes in my size. :)

iab 04-27-19 03:04 PM

I'm happy to meet any of them.

RobbieTunes 04-27-19 03:13 PM

mtnbikr, I think.
He may have been banned.

I’ve met a lot. Dozens.
Not sure how that went for them.

Cyclist0108 04-27-19 03:15 PM

Bianchigirll

bikemig 04-27-19 03:24 PM

@mountaindave for sure 'cuz I want to do Cino. Plus he has too many Gitane TdFs; too bad none of them are likely my size, :)

There are a lot of folks here I'd ride with.

gomango 04-27-19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20903690)

Not sure how that went for them.

You're a great guy.

...and a fantastic rider.

Maybe I'll get you on a mtb one of these days. :)

seypat 04-27-19 04:04 PM

Every one of the few that I have met have been great, interesting people with good conversations and stories. That is the nice thing about cycling. It crosses all boundaries.

ThermionicScott 04-27-19 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 20903468)
Alright, I'll prime the pump. I'll pick one that I haven't had a chance to meet.
@bikemig is in Iowa. I don't know anyone else in Iowa. If I ever went to Middle Earth, I'd for sure hook up with him. We've emailed back and forth, talked on the phone once.

I'm in for an Iowa meetup. I'd love to meet the guy that made my fork. :)

P.S. Like @nomadmax, there are a lot more BF members that I'd like to meet than not, especially in C&V.

gugie 04-27-19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 20903775)
I'm in for an Iowa meetup. I'd love to meet the guy that made my fork. :)

P.S. Like @nomadmax, there are a lot more BF members that I'd like to meet than not, especially in C&V.

Damn, forgot you were in Center Earth as well!

Hmm, RAGBRAI has been going on since I was a teenager, might have to figure out how to squeeze that in someday!

Dfrost 04-27-19 06:24 PM

I echo those sentiments from your OP, Mark.

Can I pick two?

They would be @mountaindave in Montana. Hope I can get to Cino at some point and collect the beer that he’s promised me.

And @RobbieTunes. There was a rumor that he might make it out to the PNW next year.

RobbieTunes 04-27-19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20903692)
Bianchigirll

+1. Will happen at Coppi.

And heading to PNW in ‘20...

iab 04-27-19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20904007)
+1. Will happen at Coppi.

Nope. :(

RobbieTunes 04-27-19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by iab (Post 20904018)
Nope. :(

Talk to you tomorrow on that....severe bummer.

ThermionicScott 04-27-19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 20903884)
Hmm, RAGBRAI has been going on since I was a teenager, might have to figure out how to squeeze that in someday!

You really should! It's known for being a rowdy spectacle, but my first one was a life-changing experience: for once, everyone around me was using bicycles to get around, and cars were the aberration. Once I had ridden my bicycle all the way from one side of the state to the other, it dawned on me that I ought to be able to do so for simple trips around town. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. :)

Lascauxcaveman 04-27-19 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 20903646)
There's a hotel in Port Angeles that seems to contain a lot of nice bikes in my size. :)

You should really take advantage of that. I even have one or two that would fit Mrs NonFixie ✌️

Spaghetti Legs 04-28-19 01:32 AM

I wanna meet T Mar but most likely he’s a big main frame computer. Kinda like Hal 9000. I’d be a little nervous.

bwilli88 04-28-19 02:26 AM

Way to many to meet but all are welcome over here in Cambodia.

Prowler 04-28-19 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 20904200)
I wanna meet T Mar but most likely he’s a big main frame computer. Kinda like Hal 9000.

Or the daisy chained Bombe machines that broke the 4 rotor Enigma code. Unstoppable, unflappable, indubitable, indefatigable.

bikemig 04-28-19 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 20904200)
I wanna meet T Mar but most likely he’s a big main frame computer. Kinda like Hal 9000. I’d be a little nervous.

:)