Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   New guy's observation on the C&V forum . . . (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1270812)

eljayski 04-19-23 04:12 PM

New guy's observation on the C&V forum . . .

When I log in to BF I see this subforum consistently having the largest number of viewers.

I find this pleasing since I'm an old guy who likes the classic style.

Is it stretch to conclude that there are a bunch of old guys frequenting this board?.

Seriously, I would have expected the General Cycling board to have the most viewers.

FWIW

JoeBass 04-19-23 04:24 PM

Hard to say. I'm 59 and this is the only forum I look at on Bike Forums. Don't think there are that many classic and vintage bike forums out there, so I'm guessing this forum attracts vintage bike lovers of all ages.

jon c. 04-19-23 04:28 PM

The C&V crowd definitely skews older. BF overall probably leans toward an older crowd, but not to the same extent.

Eric F 04-19-23 04:31 PM

C&V definitely has an active and passionate participant base. Although there are always exceptions, it seems that the most common C&V forum participants tend to be older folks.

Kilroy1988 04-19-23 04:33 PM

I'm a regular around here and am a curmudgeonly thirty four years of age.

bikemig 04-19-23 04:34 PM

The good thing about C&V is that it helped convince me that it was normal to buy the cool old bikes I couldn't afford when I was in college.

The bad thing about C&V is that it helped convince me that it was normal to buy all the cool old bikes I couldn't afford when I was in college.

smd4 04-19-23 04:54 PM

I was young when I bought my C&V bike (although it probably wasn’t totally considered C&V at the time); just never got rid of it, or a newer bike, so here I am.

mpetry912 04-19-23 06:10 PM

I keep thinking about the concept of "repairable bikes" which can include vintage and modern "keeper of the flame" bikes.

non carbon, non electronic bikes that you can repair and keep running

this is a whole 'nother special interest group in my opinion and warrants some interest.

Includes gravel bikes and commuters, old and new

/markp

billytwosheds 04-19-23 06:16 PM

C&V is a special place.

Most of the people on this forum are old enough to be my parents, which is fine.

Good stories from people who were around when many "C&V" things were the leading edge.

Polaris OBark 04-19-23 06:22 PM

Most of us are posting from the same computer at the "home."

Schweinhund 04-19-23 06:23 PM

Classic and vintage isn't just the bikes for the most part, it's the denizens too.

Kabuki12 04-19-23 06:26 PM

I am 68 and have a few classic bikes. I sometimes venture out into other sub forums but usually end up here. I don’t spend as much time here as I used to but have enjoyed the discussions. I still have my first light weight bike I bought in the mid seventies when I couldn’t afford the other bikes in my collection.

merziac 04-19-23 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by eljayski (Post 22865036)
When I log in to BF I see this subforum consistently having the largest number of viewers.

I find this pleasing since I'm an old guy who like the classic style.

Is it stretch to conclude that there are a bunch of old guys frequenting this board?.

Seriously, I would have expected the General Cycling board to have the most viewers.
FWIW

:thumb:

Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place. ;)

Cardinal rule here, pics or it didn't happen, show us your best, favorite, coolest, daily driver, etc.

Get to it. :D

Polaris OBark 04-19-23 06:28 PM

I bought my C&V bike in 1987, new.

machinist42 04-19-23 06:37 PM

The Hell You Say!

There are other sub-forums here???

AdventureManCO 04-19-23 06:41 PM

Welcome from the resident crazy guy!:thumb:

jetboy 04-19-23 07:32 PM

newer bikes don't need as much community support. some here just still have their bike and along the way it became vintage, and others- like myself and others above - never had the means to have a nice bike until more recently. also, i have never bought a vehicle new except shoes and a skate board.

plonz 04-19-23 07:36 PM

Level-headed, reasonable folks in C&V who are more interested in sharing and helping than just being heard. We even have a C&V marketplace where members regularly pay other members upfront that they’ve never met before. Careful though… you’ll need 15 feet of wall space and a fatso PayPal account before you know it!

P!N20 04-19-23 07:43 PM

Is it stretch to conclude that there are a bunch of old guys frequenting this board?

That's 'vintage' to you. And there are some females, I mean, not many, but some.

Originally Posted by billytwosheds (Post 22865130)
Most of the people on this forum are old enough to be my parents, which is fine.

That reminds me, there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about...

1simplexnut 04-19-23 08:04 PM

I find this pleasing since I'm an old guy who like the classic style.

FWIW

Old is a relative term :50:!
My legs felt about 80 grinding up the hill this morning ! (normally 55 )
Welcome aboard !

panzerwagon 04-19-23 08:10 PM

Is it stretch to conclude that there are a bunch of old guys frequenting this board?

Originally Posted by P!N20 (Post 22865230)
That's 'vintage' to you.

Oi, speak for yourself good sir, some of us are ‘classic’ :thumb:

flangehead 04-19-23 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mpetry912 (Post 22865127)
I keep thinking about the concept of "repairable bikes" which can include vintage and modern "keeper of the flame" bikes.

non carbon, non electronic bikes that you can repair and keep running

this is a whole 'nother special interest group in my opinion and warrants some interest.
/markp

Yes. My fully rigid early 90’s mountain bike doesn’t have much of the original equipment but so far I can adapt an inexpensive good quality replacement with ease.

It suits my needs so I just want to keep it operating.

USAZorro 04-19-23 08:34 PM

Since when did "relatively contemporary" become "older"? Heck, I'm still busy trying to get my bike workshop in order. I have no time for aging. :innocent:

brianinc-ville 04-19-23 08:45 PM

I'm 48, but I've been here since I was 31. The patina just kinda builds up while you're not paying attention.

etherhuffer 04-19-23 08:46 PM

How old? Old enough to ponder the Schwinn Varsity for $110 vs about $125 with fenders, knowing that you would regret the ride to school in the rain without when you got there with a black stripe up your back. I'm so old I can hide my own Easter eggs......