Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dropper lever mounting position (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1221981)

davei1980 01-20-21 02:24 PM

Dropper lever mounting position

I got a package deal on a dropper post and lever. It came with the lever pictured. At first I thought it was for road bars, but it fits on mtb dia bars. Unlike my PNW Components Loam lever, this actuates vertically, not side to side. In your opinion, would you mount this type of lever INSIDE or OUTSIDE the left brake lever position? Or quit fussing, pick one and get off the interweb and go ride?

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.U859hm...j?pid=Api&rs=1z

2cam16 01-20-21 04:48 PM

I have mine mounted inside. Small hands so I want to reach it easily.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...cb430a95_b.jpgIMG_2846 by 2cam16, on Flickr

Kapusta 01-21-21 07:11 AM

I don’t think there is a correct answer, here. Several factors:

How far in do you want the dropper lever?

How far in do you want the brake lever?

How long is the brake lever? Some brakes mount closer to the grips than others for the same lever position.

That said, on both of my mtbs, with the brakes I have, I think I would run that on the outside of the brake.

Herzlos 01-21-21 07:38 AM

Try inside and move it if you don't like it?

mack_turtle 01-21-21 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by davei1980 (Post 21886760)
In your opinion, would you mount this type of lever INSIDE or OUTSIDE the left brake lever position?

the answer is 100% subjective, so anyone's opinion has no bearing whatsoever on what will work best for you. all that matters is what works for you. experiment and settle on what gives you the most confidence. it's not difficult to reposition a lever like that, so try it one way, than another, and keep moving it until you find the right one.

IME, the vertical lever like that which I tried was never comfortable because I could never find a position that allowed my thumb to actuate it in a way that felt natural. IME, moving that lever around was fruitless. I replaced the one I had with a KS Southpaw, although there are many other "shifter style" levers that might be better. you might find a place that feels right, so give it a try. but if it just never feels right for you, you're not alone.

davei1980 01-21-21 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mack_turtle (Post 21887611)

the answer is 100% subjective, so anyone's opinion has no bearing whatsoever on what will work best for you. all that matters is what works for you. experiment and settle on what gives you the most confidence. it's not difficult to reposition a lever like that, so try it one way, than another, and keep moving it until you find the right one.

IME, the vertical lever like that which I tried was never comfortable because I could never find a position that allowed my thumb to actuate it in a way that felt natural. IME, moving that lever around was fruitless. I replaced the one I had with a KS Southpaw, although there are many other "shifter style" levers that might be better. you might find a place that feels right, so give it a try. but if it just never feels right for you, you're not alone.

Good call, I honestly didn't know it was this style until it arrived. I had the seller throw it in as a package deal for a set of E13 rims. My other bike has a PNW Components Loam lever that's sideways like you describe, and adjustable reach so I can have it extended as far as I need it. We'll play around with it but it seems like levers are getting cheaper and cheaper and there's really not much to them. Not sure how PNW can charge $70 for one.

dminor 01-21-21 12:10 PM

I opt for inside near the grip, because I use it a lot. Also, I run my brakes for single-finger actuation so there is plenty of room between the grip and the brake perch.

Darth Lefty 01-24-21 11:31 PM

I’m in the “bin it” camp

Darth Lefty 01-26-21 06:17 PM

Since I said "bin it," I realized it's a DVO and therefore cool and also nice even though I don't like the type and now I'm conflicted.

davei1980 01-27-21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty (Post 21896614)
Since I said "bin it," I realized it's a DVO and therefore cool and also nice even though I don't like the type and now I'm conflicted.

See? now you see where I am coming from!

I'll try it out when the bike is built up. Worst case, it gets replaced. Switching things around in the cockpit of a MTB isn't the hassle it is on a drop bar bike, especially this day in age of hinged clamps and all. Fun thing to mess around with while drinking beer when the weather is too bad to ride or you're nursing in injury

Kapusta 01-27-21 01:11 PM

That lever look pretty bling, and I assume it matches the dropper? I'd give it a try for a while. I find I get used to most levers eventually. Brakes are the only ones I am picky about.

davei1980 01-27-21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 21897780)
That lever look pretty bling, and I assume it matches the dropper? I'd give it a try for a while. I find I get used to most levers eventually. Brakes are the only ones I am picky about.

Yeah, they both have that lime green finish.

Going on a red frame so will look cool, or not, I'll never know. I am red-green colorblind!

.joeri. 01-28-21 10:07 AM

I prefer on the grip side.
Test with your finger on the brakes and see were your thumb would be comfortable to push.

BigYinz 01-30-21 09:46 PM

2cam16 is that a brand x ascend 2? looks like the lever i have on mine. i’m having trouble getting good cable tension with it...

2cam16 01-30-21 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigYinz (Post 21902797)
2cam16 is that a brand x ascend 2? looks like the lever i have on mine. i’m having trouble getting good cable tension with it...

It's a TranzX. I haven't had trouble at all.

BigYinz 01-31-21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2cam16 (Post 21902852)
It's a TranzX. I haven't had trouble at all.

:foo: must be an operator error on my end

bikeme 02-05-21 12:47 PM

Sell it or keep it as a spare and get another Loam Lever or Wolf Tooth (I have both and love them). I use to have that style on a KS dropper and hated it.

Darth Lefty 02-05-21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigYinz (Post 21902797)

I have a chain reaction Brand-X Ascend post which I think is the same one. I have trouble with the cable too, and it won't go as far into the seat tube as it should. I think it's interfering with the bottle boss.

Nothing to do with the probably very nice DVO Garnet