Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

datlas 04-14-20 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21417074)
Nutrition question for you doctors, is carrot cake an acceptable breakfast :innocent:

I see no problem if in moderation.

datlas 04-14-20 04:57 AM

Time to head into the telemedicine center.

Bah Humbug 04-14-20 04:57 AM

In other news, my extended family has a vacation cottage on an island in Maine. On the family group text last night, most of them were eagerly asking when we could open it, which would bring parts of half a dozen families together from across the country (and many through flights). What could possibly go wrong?

LAJ 04-14-20 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21416960)
A poor night's sleep, a moment of inattention and a tablesaw. What could possibly go wrong?
It looks like we're gonna save the finger minus the tendon that allows it to flex above the second knuckle. They tell me I'll be released from the hospital on Wed. Thence begins 4-6 weekly dr. visits in covid land with an immune system compromised by antibiotics. Is there anything I can do for the immune system under that regime?

#channelingtrainsnorter

Dang. Heal up!

LAJ 04-14-20 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21417100)
In other news, my extended family has a vacation cottage on an island in Maine. On the family group text last night, most of them were eagerly asking when we could open it, which would bring parts of half a dozen families together from across the country (and many through flights). What could possibly go wrong?

The age group the country is shutting down to protect, act like fools. Old and stubborn bastards.

MoAlpha 04-14-20 06:03 AM

Slam that stem!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/n...e=articleShare

MoAlpha 04-14-20 06:05 AM

Ugh. Which Island?

MoAlpha 04-14-20 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21416837)
Well yes I suppose in this instance Aspergillus would be opportunistic, since this dog is immunosuppressed. But in dogs (with the specifics exception of a genetic IgA immunodeficiency in German Shepherd dogs), Aspergillus is not typically associated with immunosuppression. So, rightly or wrongly, I lump it with the pathogenic fungi which I have tests for- Cryptococcus, Coccidiomycosis, Aspergillus, Blastomyces, and Histoplasma. I am not geographically in a place where Blasto and Histo can really happen, so my fungal pathogen list is crypto, cocci, and aspergillus. I have seen aspergillus referred to as an opportunistic infection in veterinary sources but I actually think thatís not true (genetically IgA deficient animals notwithstanding- oh yeah and my patients it seems) and really that description comes from someone being tasked with writing a book chapter on fungal diseases and reading too much of the human literature. I will look it up tomorrow in Greeneís infectious diseases, see what he says and who wrote that chapter.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6022203/

Yes the gabapentin is for pain. I did not actually prescribe it and probably personally would have used tramadol (for bone pain) but I think at some point there was the thought that the lameness was nerve root in origin, on account of the negative carpal rads and joint taps.

Oh, I missed the bone pain part. Gabapentin doesnít sound like a good choice for that. I took it for a few months for a terribly painful root compression and it was pretty disappointing.

Pirkaus 04-14-20 06:07 AM

Some people wonít listen to reason. They think theyíve got that special because itís me immunity.

berner 04-14-20 06:13 AM

A poor night's sleep, a moment of inattention and a tablesaw. What could possibly go wrong?
It looks like we're gonna save the finger minus the tendon that allows it to flex above the second knuckle. They tell me I'll be released from the hospital on Wed. Thence begins 4-6 weekly dr. visits in covid land with an immune system compromised by antibiotics. Is there anything I can do for the immune system under that regime?

A long time ago when I was barely out of my teens, I worked for my Uncle who was a building contractor. One rainy day when too wet to work, he had to speak with one of the carpenters who did work for him. We stopped in at the town tavern and there they were, half the carpenters in town lined up along the bar with a hand wrapped around a glass of beer. I remember seeing those hands and about every other one was missing a finger. It occurred to me that if I was going to do carpentry work I needed to be especially careful if I was not to lose fingers. So far so good.

I feel much the same way about riding a bike. People in this area are careful around cyclists so I don't hear of cyclists being subjected to harrowing experiences but all the same I work diligently to maintain a high state of alertness on the bike.

seedsbelize 04-14-20 06:41 AM

Turns out the check-ups will be local. Big relief

MoAlpha 04-14-20 06:50 AM

#channelingtrainsnorter

Holy crap! Sorry to hear. The antibiotics won't compromise your immune system. Get lots of sleep, eat plenty of protein and fresh veggies, and heal up!

Trsnrtr 04-14-20 06:58 AM

#channelingtrainsnorter

OMG! Damn, Seeds, that sucks. Get well soon.

Trsnrtr 04-14-20 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21417060)
I used to ride with a dentist who had. Campy Serrota.

I had an all Campy Serotta Colorado n pearl white. Twas a beauty to behold.

Trsnrtr 04-14-20 06:59 AM

Trsnrtr 04-14-20 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21417069)
Heal quickly :hug:
You have a long way to go to be anywhere near Trainsnorter level, there are safer goals to aspire to.

No one should aspire to my level of sharp instrument ineptness. In fact, I can cut myself on almost anything, sharp or not.

indyfabz 04-14-20 07:08 AM

A local friend of mine is doing that right now. She's originally from Texas. Her family has a lake house in Arkansas. She and her husband loaded the three kids in the car on Saturday and drove down there for an extended family gathering.

Heathpack 04-14-20 07:10 AM

#channelingtrainsnorter

Ugh. Heal up

Trsnrtr 04-14-20 07:13 AM

I've got a similar family story that happened over the weekend. An elderly relative with COPD and other health problems hosted an Easter dinner with his children, grandchildren, girlfriends, etc. :wtf:

mvnsnd 04-14-20 07:14 AM

#channelingtrainsnorter

Sorry to hear this. Heal up quick!

rjones28 04-14-20 07:17 AM

#channelingtrainsnorter

Oh my. Hope the healing goes well.

rjones28 04-14-20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21417036)
That changes the story.

Not materially.

rjones28 04-14-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21417204)

I need to get rjones28, Sr. set up with a trainer, once his medical ordeal has ended. He misses riding his bike.

Velo Vol 04-14-20 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21417187)
The antibiotics won't compromise your immune system.

Incorrect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4831151/

MoAlpha 04-14-20 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21417298)

Oh, please.