Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Vacation Ideas..... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=325300)

Losoccer14 07-25-07 06:54 PM

Vacation Ideas.....

I posted this in the general forum, but have not got a great response so here it goes again. I have a 4 day vacation to anywhere in the Continental US, all expenses paid. I would like to go someplace scenic to ride where would you go???

johnhaak 07-25-07 06:59 PM

The blueridge parkway sounds beautiful

BananaTugger 07-25-07 07:00 PM

Boulder.

CastIron 07-25-07 07:03 PM

All expenses paid, huh? Wine country, Yosemite, SF, NORCAL area. Rate Beer could probably expand on this way more. One day of each with full sag and a helo to take me to the next stop.

2Tired2Shift 07-25-07 07:10 PM

Co

VanceMac 07-25-07 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by CastIron (Post 4931530)
All expenses paid, huh? Wine country, Yosemite, SF, NORCAL area. Rate Beer could probably expand on this way more. One day of each with full sag and a helo to take me to the next stop.

There are about a dozen answers that would make up the top tier, but this is definitely one of them. Quite a lot of diversity can be experienced in just a few days on this trek. Although with only 4 days, you're probably better off not going for diversity.

Dr_Robert 07-25-07 07:14 PM

CO or NorCal. Can't go wrong with either one.

Strong Bad 07-25-07 07:25 PM

Southern Utah (Zions, Bryce, Arches).

merlinextraligh 07-25-07 07:29 PM

I've done Co, No Cal, and the Blueridge. All are good.

valygrl 07-25-07 09:20 PM

I assume you are going to do day rides and have a car, and need an airport.

In order of your tolerance to altitude:

Colorado fly to Denver: Independance Pass, Slumgullion / Wolf Creek Pass, Trail Ridge Road, Loveland Pass, The Copper Triangle, Boulder/Lyons/Peak-to-Peak Highway. Stay in Frisco, Aspen, Vail

Canada fly to ??: Icefields Parkway, Glacier/Waterton, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

California fly to Reno: East side of the sierras - look up the death ride, ride those passes. Or Mammoth.

California fly to SF/San Jose/Oakland: Big Sur, Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa/Wine Country

Don't ride in Yosemite National Park, it's terrifying. Except Tioga Road is ridiculously awesome. Possibly worth risking your life for, which you will be doing.

Or... hmmm. all expenses paid. http://www.timbertours.com/Custom.html

ken cummings 07-25-07 10:03 PM

Jackson Hole in Wyoming then north through the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Or Denver, ride to Aspen and fly home

R900 07-25-07 10:08 PM

I vote for SoCal, I've also heard great things about Montana in the Summer.

FIVE ONE SIX 07-25-07 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BananaTugger (Post 4931513)
Boulder.

+ infinity...

johnny99 07-25-07 11:31 PM

Ride down the coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

snowdog650 07-26-07 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by johnny99 (Post 4933402)
Ride down the coast from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Way too much traffic. Ride up the coast from San Francisco NORTH on Highway 1 to Ft. Bragg.

kleng 07-26-07 02:47 AM

Big Island - Hawaii

valygrl 07-26-07 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by snowdog650 (Post 4933658)
Way too much traffic. Ride up the coast from San Francisco NORTH on Highway 1 to Ft. Bragg.

wrong wind direction, similarly bad traffic

Nachoman 07-26-07 07:32 AM

The San Juan Islands (off Washington State). I did a bike vacation there about 6 years ago and I can't wait to go back.

Kuma 07-26-07 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Strong Bad (Post 4931711)
Southern Utah (Zions, Bryce, Arches).

This is definitely a good choice, especially Zion...

Kuma 07-26-07 08:54 AM

Also, I've heard that Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP in Montana is spectactular. Maybe Cypress could tell us about it...

Pinyon 07-26-07 09:05 AM

There are lots of fantastic places to go. If it were me: I would go to Asheville, North Carolina and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and check out the local art-scene in my off-time. OR, I would go somewhere in Colorado that has a large bike community and lots of decent rides that you can find out about at any LBS or online (the most popular are Boulder, Durango, Colorado Springs, Aspen/Vail, Steamboat Springs). I also keep hearing great things about Santa Fe, Vermont and New Hampshire, California in general (especially wine-country in both the northern and southern parts of the state), the list goes on.

Good luck choosing one!

johnny99 07-26-07 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kuma (Post 4935200)
Also, I've heard that Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP in Montana is spectactular. Maybe Cypress could tell us about it...

If you think San Francisco to Los Angeles has too much traffic, Glacier NP is 100 times worse. The Going to the Sun Road is steep and very narrow and has non-stop tourist traffic during the summer (it is closed during the winter).