Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Adaptrac - a mountain biking breakthrough? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=812082)

Brian 04-18-12 06:42 AM

Adaptrac - a mountain biking breakthrough?

Adaptrac. Inflate/deflate on the go. What do you think?

corvuscorvax 04-18-12 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 14112827)
Adaptrac. Inflate/deflate on the go. What do you think?

Looks like the stupidest thing I've seen in years, and at 1.5 pounds it's heavy stupid.

gunner65 04-18-12 09:31 AM

Another part to break.

dminor 04-18-12 10:07 AM

A fascinating piece of engineering; but if I was going to carry an air cannister around, I'd rather it do something more critical for me like shift (a'la Shimano AirLines - - only that actually worked)

Daspydyr 04-18-12 11:52 AM

You need a co-pilot to operate that system. I have enough trouble just locking and unlocking the suspension. Cool gadget, and I do love gadgets. Must have borrowed the technology from an H-1 Hummer.

Brian 04-18-12 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by dminor (Post 14113807)
A fascinating piece of engineering; but if I was going to carry an air cannister around, I'd rather it do something more critical for me like shift (a'la Shimano AirLines - - only that actually worked)

I remember the AirLines.

Despite some of the negative comments, I don't think this company would have gone through the expense of R&D if there was not a market for it. It's pretty clever, regardless of whether or not it's something any of us would use.

kenhill3 04-18-12 06:22 PM

An intriguing idea whose time has not yet come. I wonder if the frame tubes could be used for co2 storage.

Brian 04-18-12 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by kenhill3 (Post 14116051)
An intriguing idea whose time has not yet come. I wonder if the frame tubes could be used for co2 storage.

You sir, are thinking outside the box.

JonathanGennick 04-19-12 05:31 AM

Clever. Might make more sense for downhillers at first, and also those who do extended climbs followed by extended descents. I can't see the unit making any real sense where I live. Hills here are often just 20-50 feet high. No one's going to want to flip a switch at the bottom, then at the top, then at the bottom, and then keep doing that the whole ride.

mroll 04-23-12 12:44 AM

It's pretty clear that it will be a while before this catches on, but I think it's pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing some permutation of the design in years to come

Brian 04-23-12 11:07 PM

Seems like MTB technology was a bit stagnant for a while, outside of suspension. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ACROS hydraulic shifting system does as well.

Dannihilator 04-24-12 10:42 PM

It had it's moment in the sun for 2 minutes. The future with shifting is electronic sadly.

3speed 04-24-12 11:58 PM

I really don't see the Adaptrac system catching on with regular riders. It weighs an extra 1 1/2lbs to inflate/deflate approximately 10 times(that's not a whole lot), costs money to recharge the tank, you'll have to go to the trouble of getting it recharged every ride. Is a few PSI change in traction/efficiency worth that to many riders? Downhillers ride lower pressure, all mountain guys go up and down more than 10 times/ride and aren't generally don't care about lap times anyway, and XC guys are the ones willing to spend stupid amounts of money to theoretically save a 1/2 second on their lap time, but they're REALLY sure the way to do that isn't training, but to spend thousands on losing 1lb from their bike, not gaining 1 1/2lbs on a tire pressure system.

But hey, what do I know. For some reason, like I said, people are willing to spend Thousands more for a bike due to maybe having 1 degree in frame geometry change and 1lb less weight. Road guys will spend thousands more on the exact same geometry bike and 1/2lb less weight. They'll be like Lance Armstrong, right? People do dumb s*** and there's definitely no shortage of people in our country with more money than sense, so maybe the Adaptrac system will be a big hit.

Brian 04-25-12 02:25 PM

See post # 6.

YamiRider1316 04-25-12 02:40 PM

Adaptrac plus a couple of turbo spokes and you would be set! lol

Brian 04-29-12 04:56 PM

Turbo spokes?

YamiRider1316 04-29-12 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 14159221)
Turbo spokes?

only the most innovative invention to grace mountain biking since the wheel.
http://www.turbospoke.com/

cryptid01 04-29-12 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 14115891)
Despite some of the negative comments, I don't think this company would have gone through the expense of R&D if there was not a market for it.

That makes no sense. There are plenty of companies who have spent a ton on R&D for products that have failed miserably.

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 14115891)
It's pretty clever, regardless of whether or not it's something any of us would use.

Clever isn't the same as necessary or useful. This product is none of these.

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 14112827)
What do you think?

It's a problem looking for a solution. And it won't work with my stem.

Out of curiosity, what is your affiliation, if any, with this company?

IthaDan 04-29-12 06:43 PM

20 pressure cycles? Great on race day, but what happens When you let the air out the third ride into a canister and are stuck riding wet noodles? You sell the thing on eBay, that's what.

So Brian, are you the inventor or the financier?

Skepsis 04-29-12 07:29 PM

I wonder if it's possible to blow your tires off the rim while riding?

IthaDan 04-29-12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dminor (Post 14113807)

Had to dig out this pic.

http://i.imgur.com/LYZHw.jpg

Brian 04-30-12 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by cryptid01 (Post 14159280)
That makes no sense. There are plenty of companies who have spent a ton on R&D for products that have failed miserably.

Clever isn't the same as necessary or useful. This product is none of these.

You apparently failed to read the press release in full?

Originally Posted by cryptid01 (Post 14159280)
It's a problem looking for a solution. And it won't work with my stem.

Out of curiosity, what is your affiliation, if any, with this company?

If this product holds no interest for you, it doesn't matter that it won't work with your stem. But out of curiosity, why wouldn't it work for you?

My affiliation is pretty clear, had you clicked the link and read the article.

Brian 04-30-12 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by IthaDan (Post 14159543)
20 pressure cycles? Great on race day, but what happens When you let the air out the third ride into a canister and are stuck riding wet noodles? You sell the thing on eBay, that's what.

So Brian, are you the inventor or the financier?

I'm neither that creative, nor do I have such deep pockets. I'm just the guy that runs a website about cycling and outdoors, (which I started when I ran Bikeforums.net) who received a press release that I found interesting enough to share.

As far as comments on the product, I've been riding mountain bikes since before Rock Shox came out with their ground-breaking 1" travel fork, when a CamelBak was wrapped in a sock, and disc brakes, rear shocks, carbon fiber, and even lock-on grips were unheard of technology for mountain bikes. I've seen plenty of ideas come and go. It will be interesting to see how this company fares.

Sixty Fiver 04-30-12 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by YamiRider1316 (Post 14159263)
only the most innovative invention to grace mountain biking since the wheel.
http://www.turbospoke.com/

Want.

Brian 04-30-12 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14164072)
Want.

Sounds nothing like my motorbike. And it's sad to see that the folks on this site are still so pessimistic.