Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Good spoke source? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1231823)

VicBC_Biker 06-02-21 06:37 PM

Good spoke source?

I'm planning my first wheel build, and looking around for a good place for my spoke and nipple order.
Prices seem to be extremely varied, even without considering shipping which can be expensive since I'm in Canada.

Double-butted spokes, Sapim Race or equivalent (DT are more expensive)
Prices in CAD
ModernBike USA- only sells boxes of 100, forget that..
Harris Cyclery -USA- DT Swiss only (Competition double butted) $1.67 CAD
Bike 24 (Germany) Sapim Race 0.93 CAD
Wheelbuilding Parts (USA) Sapim Race 0.78 CAD
Spokeservice (Canada) Sapim Race 1.75 CAD

Suggestions for other places to check would be appreciated!

Thanks.

rccardr 06-02-21 07:19 PM

Sunny Spokes in Virginia, great service and prices, they have Sapim.

Rick 06-02-21 07:33 PM

I purchase my Spokes from Thor USA $0.70 for Sapim Race silver spokes.

Broctoon 06-02-21 08:27 PM

Wow, you’re right, VicBC_Biker .

I like Retrogression in Portland, Oregon. I just went to their checkout page for a spoke order I’m about to place. Instead of my US address, I put in a postal code for Victoria, BC to see what it says. For 32 spokes and nipples, merchandise cost is 42 bucks, but shipping is another 40 USD. :eek:

You better find a supplier somewhere in the great white north!

Dan Burkhart 06-02-21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker (Post 22085650)
I'm planning my first wheel build, and looking around for a good place for my spoke and nipple order.
Prices seem to be extremely varied, even without considering shipping which can be expensive since I'm in Canada.

Double-butted spokes, Sapim Race or equivalent (DT are more expensive)
Prices in CAD
ModernBike USA- only sells boxes of 100, forget that..
Harris Cyclery -USA- DT Swiss only (Competition double butted) $1.67 CAD
Bike 24 (Germany) Sapim Race 0.93 CAD
Wheelbuilding Parts (USA) Sapim Race 0.78 CAD
Spokeservice (Canada) Sapim Race 1.75 CAD

Suggestions for other places to check would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I might be able to help you out. I have tons of DT Swiss Competition (2.0/1.8/2.0 silver) in lengths up to 284 mm and can custom cut to your required length. For longer lengths, I have some Sapim Race spokes, but supply is limited.
Also have some 1.8/1.6/1.8. All spokes ship with 12mm brass nipples. $1.20 Canadian plus postage.

VicBC_Biker 06-02-21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Broctoon (Post 22085775)
Wow, you’re right, VicBC_Biker .

I like Retrogression in Portland, Oregon. I just went to their checkout page for a spoke order I’m about to place. Instead of my US address, I put in a postal code for Victoria, BC to see what it says. For 32 spokes and nipples, merchandise cost is 42 bucks, but shipping is another 40 USD. :eek:

You better find a supplier somewhere in the great white north!

Correct! :)
But I don't want to pay 3 times the fair price from a Canadian seller just to save on shipping. Nuts to that.

The default for most US shippers is to put it in a $40 or $50 Flat Rate box. Even worse (if not warned explicitly not to do so) is shipping UPS or FedEx Ground which triggers a 'handling and brokerage fee' of $50 or 15% of the shipment value, whichever is greater.

Y'all are spoiled with the cheap shipping in the US.
Even within Canada, shipping can be expensive. Sometimes it's cheaper to get stuff (especially books) from the UK than from Canada.
Ridiculous, but I guess it's subsidies at work. Don't even get me started on China postal subsidies....
One good place is Bicicletta in Vancouver BC- $5 flat rate shipping on a lot of stuff.

VicBC_Biker 06-02-21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 22085806)
I might be able to help you out. I have tons of DT Swiss Competition (2.0/1.8/2.0 silver) in lengths up to 284 mm and can custom cut to your required length. For longer lengths, I have some Sapim Race spokes, but supply is limited.
Also have some 1.8/1.6/1.8. All spokes ship with 12mm brass nipples.

I will be in touch.
Thanks!

Retro Grouch 06-02-21 08:55 PM

Dan Burkhart would be my first choice for any other wheelbuilding advice you find yourself needing too.

Symox 06-02-21 09:12 PM

bike hub store. Excellent customer service

https://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/300.htm

Russ Roth 06-02-21 09:19 PM

Don't know about shipping to Canada but with Bike24 I toss in ancillaries to make up for the 20.00 (US) shipping. Around me, tubes are 8-12 and 20 for latex. I can toss in 2 latex tubes for race day, add in 4-6 tubes in sizes I know I'll need in the next year for 2.50-3.50 each and I've saved money on shipping. Not to mention the joy of reaching into the cabinet for the tube I need rather then getting in the car to drive for the tube I need.

HillRider 06-02-21 09:28 PM

Wiggle in the UK shows DT Swiss spokes at very attractive prices when quoted in $US for US delivery. It might be worth your time to see what they offer in $CD for Canadian delivery. I've had excellent service from them.

cyccommute 06-02-21 09:46 PM

I just bought spokes for a wheel set from Rose Bikes. I paid $25 US for the spokes and $17 for shipping. Even with the shipping, that’s about 30¢ each. I use DT Alpine III which are more expensive here (about $2 each).

Although not Sapim or DT, BDop Cycling sells Pillar spokes which are also worth a look.

Dan Burkhart 06-03-21 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 22085887)
I just bought spokes for a wheel set from Rose Bikes. I paid $25 US for the spokes and $17 for shipping. Even with the shipping, that’s about 30¢ each. I use DT Alpine III which are more expensive here (about $2 each).

Although not Sapim or DT, BDop Cycling sells Pillar spokes which are also worth a look.

That's really good pricing in your link.
Question about the Alpine spokes. I've never used them, but I use lots of Competitions and they have enough 2.0 shaft that they can usually be shortened by up to 25 to 30 mm, so in that regard, they are almost as good as blanks. Sapim Race, on the other hand usually only afford about 8mm for shortening.
Can you tell me if the Alpines are the same, because if they are, I might just order a bunch from your source.

VicBC_Biker 06-03-21 09:40 AM

Hopefully this list will be useful to others in the future.
I really appreciate all the responses and info on sources, and ideas on reducing (or rationalizing) the shipping costs.
Thanks!

cyccommute 06-03-21 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart (Post 22086136)
That's really good pricing in your link.
Question about the Alpine spokes. I've never used them, but I use lots of Competitions and they have enough 2.0 shaft that they can usually be shortened by up to 25 to 30 mm, so in that regard, they are almost as good as blanks. Sapim Race, on the other hand usually only afford about 8mm for shortening.
Can you tell me if the Alpines are the same, because if they are, I might just order a bunch from your source.

The 2.0 mm shaft isn’t real long. I’ve shortened some spokes because I had tons of them that were too long but it only looks like there’s about 10mm of extra shaft to work with. The transition isn’t nearly as abrupt as what I’ve seen on other DT either. There’s a sharp delineation at the top of the spoke but it’s very subtle at the threads.

Dan Burkhart 06-03-21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cyccommute (Post 22086549)
The 2.0 mm shaft isn’t real long. I’ve shortened some spokes because I had tons of them that were too long but it only looks like there’s about 10mm of extra shaft to work with. The transition isn’t nearly as abrupt as what I’ve seen on other DT either. There’s a sharp delineation at the top of the spoke but it’s very subtle at the threads.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. The transition on the butting, or swaging if you prefer, seems to vary even on the same brand spokes. I have older Competitions with a very pronounce transition, and the newer ones are much more subtle.