Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   No Bicycles Allowed, Trails Closed (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1262442)

ZIPP2001 11-03-22 04:53 PM

No Bicycles Allowed, Trails Closed

I've been coming to this trail network for several years now and I've never seen one sign saying it's off limits. I've met plenty of trail riders who have been riding these trails for many more years than I. So, about a month ago I come out to do a ride and see these new signs up stating the trails are now off limits to bicycles. I put the bike back in the car and do a hike instead and during that hike I ran into walkers with dogs ignoring the new trail signs saying no dogs allowed. I've been coming here to hike because I really enjoy the hills and plus it's only a couple of minutes from work. On every hike to date I have run into multiple walkers with dogs. I did talk to a rider who lives right next to this trail network, and he stated that he and his friends still come out and ride the trails. I do really miss these trails, but I'll hike for now because my riding season comes to an end by Thanksgiving because work gets crazy during Christmas. I'll re-visit the idea of riding these trails again after winter, because my winter riding is over in another trail network that gets groomed.

rumrunn6 12-08-22 08:53 PM

omg you are looney tunes & I love that about you man

Tomm Willians 12-09-22 09:52 AM

So you’ve decided to ignore the posted rules simply because others have? That should certainly cause them to open it back up to bikes……..

Bald Paul 12-09-22 02:05 PM

Mass Audubon Society posted those signs. I don't know if they own the land or not, but they are not a state agency. I don't know who would be enforcing the rules, unless you ran into some irate bird watchers. Check with local laws, just in case.

Steve B. 12-09-22 05:49 PM

Yeah, I'd check on who actually owns the property. A local hiking club installed similar signs on a local trail that is state park, stating "no bikes". I know thats not official state policy so I mostly ignore it.

UnCruel 12-09-22 09:25 PM

Somewhere on the web there must be a dog forum, and on it is a thread about this same trail, with people posting that they walk their dogs on it because lots of other people do, and because mountain bikers disregard the rules too.

veganbikes 12-12-22 12:11 AM

I have been on a state park trail that said no bikes and they truly meant it, we ended up portaging much of it. Though had I had a proper mountain bike and a lot more skills I probably could have ridden a bit more of it but still it was not very ridable.

If the signs are posted by an actual authority for the land then I wouldn't disregard them but if some local NIMBYist posted them I would disregard them but like with all shared spaces, I would do my best to share them as fairly as possible with pedestrians and such,

Schweinhund 12-12-22 06:27 AM

The city I live in sits on the confluence of the Tuolumne river and Dry Creek.
Back in the early and mid 70's a bunch of kids, including myself, built a network of trails to ride on.
The city tried to close what we built, to us, for bird watchers. For some of the kids in this area it's the only thing they can do that doesn't cost stupid money. They quickly gave up trying to enforce it. Critical mass type events work.
That's because a bunch of old men, the same guys who worked down here were willing to show up.

Monkitoucher 12-24-22 04:44 PM

This may be a case where there was a meeting about use and the only people who showed up were bird watchers. It's still super important to be involved in the usage meetings. Is there IMBA chapter in your area?

tarman 04-13-23 02:19 PM

I've gotten yelled at twice riding in Mass Audobon lands. First time I didn't know you couldn't, and the second time I came in a back way and didn't know I was in the Audobon. They take it seriously.

Sierra_rider 05-05-23 08:55 PM

Closed is a state of mind...

CrimsonEclipse 05-06-23 03:23 PM

What sign?

(I ride where I want)