Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   black grease uses (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1250091)

CrowSeph 04-13-22 03:08 PM

black grease uses

Hello , i got as a gift a little bucket of black grease plus the mini-dispenser. Since i already own a couple of different types (blu grease, lithium and silicon), for what specific purpose the black one seems to be the best choice (bike related ofc)?

easyupbug 04-13-22 03:15 PM

You won't have to clean as often as it will not show up as badly on a black groupset and hubs or a black frame.

cxwrench 04-13-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CrowSeph (Post 22471429)
Hello , i got as a gift a little bucket of black grease plus the mini-dispenser. Since i already own a couple of different types (blu grease, lithium and silicon), for what specific purpose the black one seems to be the best choice (bike related ofc)?

Who knows? The only thing you've said about it so far is it's black.

Originally Posted by easyupbug (Post 22471434)
You won't have to clean as often as it will not show up as badly on a black groupset and hubs or a black frame.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

redshift1 04-13-22 04:28 PM

( Warning : Aussie spelling ahead :)).

Typically the black greases I have bought over the years have been that colour due to the presence of the chemical molybdenum disulphide ( "moly" ). This is a particularly low friction substance so these greases are more "slippery". A very common application is in constant velocity joints in autos. ( Though I would imagine graphite containing greases are also black / grey. )

I would suggest it's not going to make a lot of difference to the average mechanic whether you use this or not. Just use it wherever you might use a regular grease. I once read that it should not be used in ball and roller bearings as the theory was it was so slippery that the balls or rollers would slide instead of roll on their tracks, hence ironically increasing bearing wear. Nowadays I am not so sure if this wasn't an old wives tale. You would need an engineering analysis to determine that.

Speaking of which, here is a fascinating piece of history ( for mechanical engineers, which I am not ) from NASA ( or the organisation which preceded it perhaps ). .pdf at bottom.

Seeing the typed pages is quite poignant ( to me anyway ).

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19930086694

Edit: Upon reflection, personally, I would (still) NOT use moly grease in ball or roller bearings or on seat-posts, but don't know in practice whether it would matter. I WOULD use it on any plain bearing / sliding ( metal ) surfaces, like brake lever and derailleur pivots.

Bill Kapaun 04-13-22 07:14 PM

Do not judge by the color of the grease, but by the contents on the label.

I guess if you want to tar & feather someone and happen to be out of tar?

veganbikes 04-13-22 08:42 PM

If it is the SuperWeb grease it is typically a very sticky grease for heavy usage. I think they recommend it for bearings but it will really stain and stick around. However like cxwrench said we have no idea what it is other than giving us color. Pretty typical around here though "I have stuff and what is it"

KerryIrons 04-14-22 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by redshift1 (Post 22471502)
Typically the black greases I have bought over the years have been that colour due to the presence of the chemical molybdenum disulphide ( "moly" ). This is a particularly low friction substance so these greases are more "slippery". A very common application is in constant velocity joints in autos. ( Though I would imagine graphite containing greases are also black / grey. )

I would suggest it's not going to make a lot of difference to the average mechanic whether you use this or not.

Yup. Moly grease works just fine, though the stuff I have used has been pretty stiff and therefore not my choice for bearings where rolling resistance is a concern.

SurferRosa 04-14-22 01:20 PM

Go as a singing minstrel during Halloween or if you simply want to be "cancelled."

easyupbug 04-14-22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22471440)
Who knows? The only thing you've said about it so far is it's black.

OK, please enlighten us and say something erudite about "what specific purpose the black one seems to be" in a typical bicycle application.

MudPie 04-14-22 11:15 PM

( Warning : Aussie spelling ahead :)).
Seeing the typed pages is quite poignant ( to me anyway ).
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19930086694

When I started my engineering career in the late 80's, I remember reading reports with similar looking texts, tables, photos and drawings. Compared to today, it was quite the production to put such a report together. Thanks for the memories!

Sy Reene 04-15-22 05:40 AM

Nice recap on grease for anyone really interested:
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GREASE

grizzly59 04-15-22 06:19 AM

If you are greasing something like a backhoe @15000 lbs I would use moly grease.

cxwrench 04-15-22 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by easyupbug (Post 22471434)

Originally Posted by easyupbug (Post 22472853)
OK, please enlighten us and say something erudite about "what specific purpose the black one seems to be" in a typical bicycle application.

Read your first quote again. You said "it will not show up as badly on a black group...or black frame". It sounds stupid, doesn't it? Get black grease everywhere but it's ok, you can't see it...til you get it on your clothes.

rydabent 04-15-22 12:33 PM

Virtually all bearings on a bike are low speed high load bearing. The headset being the one with high pressure high impact. IMO they should all have heavy sticky grease. Your "black" grease as someone mentioned probably is moly grease with a heavy base, and would be fine for the bike.

sweeks 04-16-22 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22471440)

I think he forgot to add the "/s".

sweeks 04-16-22 08:34 PM

I once read that it should not be used in ball and roller bearings as the theory was it was so slippery that the balls or rollers would slide instead of roll on their tracks, hence ironically increasing bearing wear. Nowadays I am not so sure if this wasn't an old wives tale.

I have a tube of Shimano "Nexus Grease" (for internally-geared hubs) which is a moly-type grease. The ball bearings in the hub look like new after 10,000 miles. I support your suspicion that it's an old wives' tale.

sweeks 04-16-22 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22473130)
Get black grease everywhere but it's ok, you can't see it...til you get it on your clothes.

This ^^
Moly-based grease is very difficult to remove from clothes.

Tawraste666 04-17-22 12:53 PM

I have tubs of grease from various sources that come with recommendations that seem virtuous but ultimately do not apply to me.
For example - the very expensive high temp red grease - great, but no application for me.
I have looked at my requirements and they are constant use in rainy conditions in a high salt environment. So I use marine prop grease for all bearing applications and ACF-50 for exposed moving parts and surfaces.
That said, I don't apply and forget - I regularly inspect, repack and regrease/reapply.
My bike is silent, shiny, and efficient at all times.