Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

datlas 07-23-21 10:37 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22154545)
Don't be tempted to sell yours, even after it appreciates to six figures.

Mrs datlas won't let me keep it if it has a terminal repair estimate (say in excess of $500), plus it won't be worth six figures until I am gone and forgotten anyway.

That said, I do hope to keep it going another few years. Next goal is 200K which will likely happen in late 2022 (right now about 189K).

sshakari 07-23-21 10:42 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22154561)
I'm going to time my tubeless installation. Since they are Campy wheels, no taping is required. I'm guessing 8-10 minutes per wheel with most of that being stretching the tire on.

First off, I have to refinish working on a Red eTap derailleur from one of my trikes. It needs new jockey wheels and a new rear plate.

you got the wheels from customs? Pics?

LAJ 07-23-21 10:45 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22154562)
Im sitting in a park during lunch. A bird just crapped on my leg from the treetop above me.

That's supposed to be good luck.

MoAlpha 07-23-21 10:46 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22154488)
I dream of a direct drive smart trainer, but between the expense, the weight, and the size of the thing when it's time to put it away, I can't justify it. So I'll stick with the Kickr Snap. What I'm currently figuring out is how to get/build the cheapest computer that will run Zwift in all its glory. Turns out, you don't need a fancy $3000 gaming PC. Just a modest PC with a big-ass graphics card, but enough power and fans to run the game and not fry itself.

All you need is an iPhone, an HDMI adapter, and a desktop monitor.

Velo Vol 07-23-21 10:51 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154554)
Meh. I don't think there's an asterisk unless we see winning times that wouldn't put people on the podium for the last twenty years, and I don't see that happening at all.

Are you excited to see them? I imagine I'll warm up once the competition starts, but right now they have no pop.

Velo Vol 07-23-21 10:53 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154563)
plus it won't be worth six figures until I am gone and forgotten anyway.

If it keeps appreciating at this rate, it won't take long at all. #Compounding

WhyFi 07-23-21 10:54 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22154581)
Are you excited to see them?

As much as ever, I guess. *shrug*

datlas 07-23-21 10:56 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22154584)
If it keeps appreciating at this rate, it won't take long at all. #Compounding

Past performance is not an indicator of future results. Sad.

genejockey 07-23-21 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22154571)
All you need is an iPhone, an HDMI adapter, and a desktop monitor.

And you'll get s***ty graphics. I already have those. I want The Good Stuff - shadows, details, frame rate, all that stuff!

indyfabz 07-23-21 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22154570)
That's supposed to be good luck.

Where? In Haiti?

datlas 07-23-21 11:03 AM

Epic almost-100 mile ride planned for tomorrow.

​​​​​​https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36870154

big john 07-23-21 11:07 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154563)
Mrs datlas won't let me keep it if it has a terminal repair estimate (say in excess of $500), plus it won't be worth six figures until I am gone and forgotten anyway.

That said, I do hope to keep it going another few years. Next goal is 200K which will likely happen in late 2022 (right now about 189K).

Just drive it to California instead of flying, that'll get you to your goal early.

My Trailblazer is close to 200K and still runs pretty good. All I ask of a car is that I not have to work on it. Probably going to have to buy tires soon, that's a major expense to me. Last time I put tires on it I had a great connection but that guy stopped with the huge discounts.

I think the biggest expense I ever had on a car was the transmission I bought for the last Blazer ($600). It was a 5 speed which I would have rebuilt but the parts cost exceeded the price of a rebuilt unit. It was the only major expense I had on that car in 18 years except for tires.

big john 07-23-21 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154596)
Epic almost-100 mile ride planned for tomorrow.

​​​​​​https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36870154

Is it going to be hot?

datlas 07-23-21 11:34 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22154604)
Is it going to be hot?

Nope. Start temp 63F. End temp 81F. Light winds and low humidity.

big john 07-23-21 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154643)
Nope. Start temp 63F. End temp 81F. Light winds and low humidity.

Sounds great!

datlas 07-23-21 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22154601)
Just drive it to California instead of flying, that'll get you to your goal early.

My Trailblazer is close to 200K and still runs pretty good. All I ask of a car is that I not have to work on it. Probably going to have to buy tires soon, that's a major expense to me. Last time I put tires on it I had a great connection but that guy stopped with the huge discounts.

I think the biggest expense I ever had on a car was the transmission I bought for the last Blazer ($600). It was a 5 speed which I would have rebuilt but the parts cost exceeded the price of a rebuilt unit. It was the only major expense I had on that car in 18 years except for tires.

I don't think my family would tolerate a XC trip in the Saturn.

I got into a HUGE discussion with mrs datlas about 3 years ago as the muffler went and one of the brake lines was rusted. The repair bill was about $700 and she thought that was foolish to put more $$$ into the car. I am glad I pushed to keep the car, but clearly it's at an age (23) where I would not be surprised if something big goes and I have to get rid of it.

big john 07-23-21 11:39 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22154647)
I don't think my family would tolerate a XC trip in the Saturn.

I got into a HUGE discussion with mrs datlas about 3 years ago as the muffler went and one of the brake lines was rusted. The repair bill was about $700 and she thought that was foolish to put more $$$ into the car. I am glad I pushed to keep the car, but clearly it's at an age (23) where I would not be surprised if something big goes and I have to get rid of it.

$700 isn't so much when you consider the price of new cars. I know, there comes a time when it seems like bad money after good, but if you got 3 more years after $700, that's pretty good.

Trsnrtr 07-23-21 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by sshakari (Post 22154568)
you got the wheels from customs? Pics?

Yep. They showed up with no warning this morning.

Tubeless tires mounted and sealed. Took 21 minutes including unboxing the tires and having to pressurize the compressor.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3ab714d5.jpeg

Velo Vol 07-23-21 11:45 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22154587)
As much as ever, I guess. *shrug*

^ ^ ^
Doesn't get it.

LAJ 07-23-21 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22154655)
Yep. They showed up with no warning this morning.

Tubeless tires mounted and sealed. Took 21 minutes including unboxing the tires and having to pressurize the compressor.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3ab714d5.jpeg

You fancy!

Thumbs Up!

Bah Humbug 07-23-21 12:18 PM

We just sold AG’s old beat-up Fit to Carmax for $8400. Gobsmacked.

Mojo31 07-23-21 12:28 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22154655)
Yep. They showed up with no warning this morning.

Tubeless tires mounted and sealed. Took 21 minutes including unboxing the tires and having to pressurize the compressor.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c3ab714d5.jpeg

Nice. I'm not very knowledgeable about such things, but what is the benefit of that spoke pattern? Sure looks cool.

genejockey 07-23-21 12:30 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22154716)
We just sold AGs old beat-up Fit to Carmax for $8400. Gobsmacked.

Gee, I wonder if Mrs. GeneJockey's 20 year old Sienna with low, low mileage and a fresh Smog Certificate would bring a nice price?

The problem is, of course, that taking advantage of a sellers' market leaves you at the mercy of that same sellers' market if you want to buy a replacement.

Mojo31 07-23-21 12:38 PM

There is a lot less negotiation going on at dealerships.

WhyFi 07-23-21 12:43 PM

Caterpillar Chrysalis Update: the caterpillar pupated a few days back, but I haven't taken the time to get a pic until now. It's been fun and interesting to see the first assume a leaf-like appearance while this one went with a broken twig disguise.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2630efb1e5.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.