Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

genejockey 11-17-21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22311335)
I had my chain snap while moving up the outside of a high-speed pack ride, going north of 30mph. I hit the ground, and my bike did a few somersaults alongside the pack. Thankfully, I was the only one to go down. My helmet did its job and sacrificed itself to save my mediocre-quality grey matter. I made the 1/2 mile walk back to my car with a minor headache, some missing patches of skin, and a few scraped up bike parts.

My other chain snap was in a MTB race that I felt like I had a strong chance to finish on the podium. First steep climb inside the first mile of the race, riding in the top 10 - snap!. I fixed it and finished the ride at a comfortable pace.

"Yikes!!" on the first incident!

Yeah, it makes sense the time chains break, whether it's a regular break or a quick link, will always be when you're honking on it. No reason for it to break when you're coasting!

big john 11-17-21 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22311256)
New rider on today’s ride has a beautiful blue Lynskey she said she bought second hand from original owner who only put a few hundred miles on it. It’s likely 15-20 years old, has full 10 speed Chorus groupset and a beautiful blue paint job. I shoulda taken a picture.

Pretty sure Chorus 10 speed came out in 2007. I bought mine used and don't know what year any of it is but I always thought it was assembled in 2010. In April it will be 10 years that I have owned it.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1cc690b450.jpg

Eric F 11-17-21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22311347)
Pretty sure Chorus 10 speed came out in 2007. I bought mine used and don't know what year any of it is but I always thought it was assembled in 2010. In April it will be 10 years that I have owned it.

That's a very nice looking bike!! :D

indyfabz 11-17-21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22311256)
New rider on today’s ride has a beautiful blue Lynskey she said she bought second hand from original owner who only put a few hundred miles on it. It’s likely 15-20 years old, has full 10 speed Chorus groupset and a beautiful blue paint job. I shoulda taken a picture.

Is it Michelle B?

big john 11-17-21 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22311349)
That's a very nice looking bike!! :D

Thanks! It doesn't have those wheels on it anymore. I still have them but the freehub split open when I was climbing a steep hill and I haven't been able to find one.

genejockey 11-17-21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22311347)

2000, actually. The UT crankset was introduced in 2007. My Battaglin has a 2006 Chorus crank with square taper. Also, my Veloce equipped 2006 Bianchi came with 10 speeds.

datlas 11-17-21 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22311358)
Is it Michelle B?

Nope. Michelle B is an old rider, who has been riding with us for many years. She is riding a Ti Seven. All the cool kids ride Ti, it seems.

genejockey 11-17-21 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22311393)
Nope. Michelle B is an old rider, who has been riding with us for many years. She is riding a Ti Seven. All the cool kids ride Ti, it seems.

Wait, I thought that was dentists? Or is that just Litespeeds?

big john 11-17-21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311383)
2000, actually. The UT crankset was introduced in 2007. My Battaglin has a 2006 Chorus crank with square taper. Also, my Veloce equipped 2006 Bianchi came with 10 speeds.

You are correct. Campagnolo - Wikipedia

ls01 11-17-21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22310604)
Unnecessary apostrophe.

Dammit, I never know when it's correct or not, it didn't look right without it.lol

ls01 11-17-21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22310947)
I believe the US should be shown as "Countries where English is widely spoken but poorly understood", based on far too many interactions with my fellow Americans.

jeez it was just one comma

ls01 11-17-21 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22310954)
Nor did I but I was there with bells on my toes and begging for the injection(s).

I wasn't giddy about it but I got it

seedsbelize2 11-17-21 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22311086)
Bad hombres.

Notable that 2/15 are from TN.

Hmmm. I suspected an invisible link

MoAlpha 11-17-21 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22310570)
Alzheimer’s is well enough understood that they can make a vaccine?

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/statu...80474336194562

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22310813)
No. It’s research. A trial. I would not bet on it working.

There is a well identified target for vaccination and vaccines certainly work to reduce the presence of that target protein. However, it’s not clear that this really improves clinical outcomes and at least one previous vaccine trial caused serious brain inflammation in some patients.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22310943)
I'm curious what preclinical data they have to support it, though, since they had to have shown some to the FDA to get IND approval.

This is just the latest in a series of beta amyloid vaccines, so there plenty of safety and preclinical data. Unfortunately, there is a building consensus that amyloid plaques are a by product of the cellular reaction to the underlying pathology, rather than part of the causal chain. Aducanamab, which was recently approved and is now blowing up Medicare premiums is a monoclonal antibody directed against the same target and doesn’t seem to work very well either.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22311455)
There is a well identified target for vaccination and vaccines certainly work to reduce the presence of that target protein. However, it’s not clear that this really improves clinical outcomes and at least one previous vaccine trial caused serious brain inflammation in some patients.

Is it a protein common in everyone?

MoAlpha 11-17-21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22311490)
Is it a protein common in everyone?

Beta amyloid is a misfolded form of a normal protein which accumulates in “plaques” around sick nerve cells in Alzheimer disease. It is a pathological hallmark of the disorder, so everyone has it by definition.

bampilot06 11-17-21 08:13 PM

Rode the bike on the trainer today without cleats. Made some minor adjustments to seat post height. Felt pretty good about what I accomplished. Was no where close to 100 percent but I was convinced I had the bike configured where I could atleast do some light pedaling.

Got back on it tonight and was proven wrong. Pain came back pretty much instantly and it didn’t matter how I positioned my foot.

Found a couple of exsercises I can do to strengthen the muscles around my knee, started doing those and will implement them through out the day along with ice.

If it doesn’t get better by the time I get home then I will have to go to an orthopedist, but as of right now from what I am reading online it sounds like runners knee.

I think my seat post was a touch high initially prolly, didn’t matter much on the road becuase zi was constantly changing position but on the trainer position isn’t changed as often, so everytime I my left foot was at the bottom it over extended. My left leg is a little bit longer than my right leg.

Of course I could be wrong about everything.

MoAlpha 11-17-21 08:15 PM

8023 miles and about 466,000’ of vertical for the year. Maybe an 8th of that is fake.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 08:35 PM

Watched this and now I'm knowledgeable.

DougRNS 11-17-21 08:35 PM

Visual approximation of my week.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...89c18f26ac.jpg

MoAlpha 11-17-21 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22311498)
Rode the bike on the trainer today without cleats. Made some minor adjustments to seat post height. Felt pretty good about what I accomplished. Was no where close to 100 percent but I was convinced I had the bike configured where I could atleast do some light pedaling.

Got back on it tonight and was proven wrong. Pain came back pretty much instantly and it didn’t matter how I positioned my foot.

Found a couple of exsercises I can do to strengthen the muscles around my knee, started doing those and will implement them through out the day along with ice.

If it doesn’t get better by the time I get home then I will have to go to an orthopedist, but as of right now from what I am reading online it sounds like runners knee.

I think my seat post was a touch high initially prolly, didn’t matter much on the road becuase zi was constantly changing position but on the trainer position isn’t changed as often, so everytime I my left foot was at the bottom it over extended. My left leg is a little bit longer than my right leg.

Of course I could be wrong about everything.

Patello-femoral syndrome? Where is the pain? Seat too high usually causes pain at the back of the knee.

Velo Vol 11-17-21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22311521)

Which category does this one go into?

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22308905)
You're reading my quality posts which enlighten, educate and entertain.

bampilot06 11-17-21 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22311528)
Patello-femoral syndrome? Where is the pain? Seat too high usually causes pain at the back of the knee.

looking down at my leg pain is felt at the top center of my knee and also slightly to the right of center.

bampilot06 11-17-21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22311528)

whats definition of the back of the knee? the pain is underneath my knee cap.

at times I get the sensation my knee wants to pop or it has a moving sensation. Not large movement but I can feel it. Not often and I never noticed it until this started.

genejockey 11-17-21 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22311520)
Watched this and now I'm knowledgeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXv3mHs9AU

I look forward to reading about your drug candidates.