Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fixed Gear Freestyle (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   Just got a fixed gear a couple days ago, wanna learn how to skid (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254303)

idk._.yasir 06-29-22 02:15 AM

Just got a fixed gear a couple days ago, wanna learn how to skid

Title basically sums it up, I wanna learn how to skid. I currently dont have pedal straps so that might be an issue. Any tips would be appreciated

Rolla 06-29-22 03:08 PM

1. Put your nuts on the stem.
2. Extend dominant leg backwards.
3. Buy new tire.

Jheitt 06-29-22 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22558363)
1. Put your nuts on the stem.
2. Extend dominant leg backwards.
3. Buy new tire.

with some sort of foot retention hahaha

But seriously, it just takes practice, timing is a big part.

Apetimberlake 07-26-22 05:05 AM

Been practicing skidding over the last weekend and my legs are REKT

Jheitt 07-26-22 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Apetimberlake (Post 22587846)
Been practicing skidding over the last weekend and my legs are REKT

It takes a bit for the lifting leg to come around. It's a strange motion for a muscle group that is used to pushing weight not pulling it. I just ride as usual and toss a skid in when needed or wanted. Saves the legs

swoopyinc 11-22-22 05:44 PM

you usually want to lock the rear (dominant) leg around the 45 degree or so. I ride fixed mtb a lot and can skid pretty readily without straps in place. skip stops are much more effective for actual stopping though - another good one to practice and with both legs.

Cthulhulord 04-14-23 07:02 AM

What’s the difference between skids and skip stops? Is it when your rear wheel jumps up instead of dragging along the ground?

veganbikes 04-21-23 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cthulhulord (Post 22859356)
What’s the difference between skids and skip stops? Is it when your rear wheel jumps up instead of dragging along the ground?

Skipping and skidding are not stopping just to be very clear. A stop is a controlled motion to slow the bike down to complete stand still. Skidding is a brown stain in your underwear caused by poor wiping and can wreck havoc on your knees and ankles if used while cycling. Skipping is good exercise but poor for safety as well.

On a velodrome everyone is going in the same direction with the same goal so braking would be quite dangerous but on the roads where everything is completely unpredictable braking is extremely important and could save your life when ruining undies, back tires, knees and ankles to uncontrollably slow down a bit could cause issues.

Aesthetics are great but the aesthetics of being a red Jackson Pollock painting on the pavement aren't so good. Also those cool points you think you scored aren't redeemable for anything anywhere and especially not when you couldn't stop in a controllable fashion. If you are around people who have issues with you having brakes, than I would suggest not being around those people as they don't care about you and probably don't care about themselves either.

Also keep in mind this is an old thread not as old as some other zombie threads but this sub-forum is usually pretty dead and has been for quite a while.

somedodo 05-16-23 05:55 AM

on average, how often do you have to replace the back tire if you're always skidding around?

veganbikes 05-21-23 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by somedodo (Post 22891333)
on average, how often do you have to replace the back tire if you're always skidding around?

Some people more often some people less often but in the end skidding is not stopping and is not really practical in an urban environment. Get brakes and save a ton of money on tires and not be so wasteful.

79pmooney 05-21-23 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by somedodo (Post 22891333)

The tire makes a big difference. The tires we used to use on out 26" kid's bikes when I was young survived many skid challenges. The tires I used to race would be destroyed the second skid on the same spot.

I don't skid. I have zero advice on good skidding tires. Contact a shop that sells fix gears. They will know and have the popular tires. I bet a good Google search will tell you also.