Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bibshorts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235139)

WaveyGravey 07-21-21 08:35 AM

Bibshorts

Is there any advantage to bibshorts? Is it a matter of preference or comfort? Thanks

terrymorse 07-21-21 08:40 AM

Bib shorts provide a “lift”, keeping the sensitive man parts safely out of harm’s way.

sw20 07-21-21 08:49 AM

I prefer bibs as once they're on they're on! no need to worry about them slipping down or needing adjusting mid ride.

Rolla 07-21-21 09:00 AM

The bib advantage is an more secure overall fit at the waist and abdomen, but I don't find them especially comfortable; I think they're constricting, and they make it harder to take a leak.

Nessism 07-21-21 09:12 AM

Bibs are hotter. I don't like them when summer Temps are high

AdkMtnMonster 07-21-21 12:26 PM

I can’t believe this has never been discussed before. If only there was a searchable archive of old threads….

pdlamb 07-21-21 12:36 PM

Depending on the shape of one's body, non-bib shorts may tend to roll down at the waist. Worst case, you feel like you've got a tourniquet below your belly button. Bib shorts don't roll down. If you've got the right size bibs, they're not constricting.

Some bibs extend the short fabric well up your torso. Those tend to be hot in warmer weather. Other bibs have a mesh up top, and there's not much difference between those and shorts as far as trapping heat next to your body.

KJ43 07-21-21 01:09 PM

Bibs are super comfortable, but I like a tight race fit for all of my clothes. Bibs don't require elastic at your waist.

The bibs I use, PI Pros, are super easy to pull down in the front if I need to take a nature break.

zx9rmal 07-21-21 01:38 PM

The first time I tried bibs, several years ago, I was sold. Have not worn shorts since. Good ones work well. No adjusting while riding and they just "feel" better. Have never had a problem taking a piss. If they're hotter in summer, I haven't noticed.it.

Best to try them on. Different brands fit differently. Or, get a recommendation from someone. You "usually" get what you pay for, so be prepared to spend accordingly. Try a pair.

Troul 07-21-21 02:00 PM

I perfer the ones with thin or no padding. Hard to find.

Germany_chris 07-21-21 02:02 PM

Bibs don’t show my a$$ crack when wearing normal clothes. Bibs keep the diaper where it belongs, since I have “more to love”. There is no downside to bibs

Iride01 07-21-21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22151756)
I can’t believe this has never been discussed before. If only there was a searchable archive of old threads….

What would we talk about if we didn't re-hash the same stuff over and over. <grin>

At least by starting a new thread, we might maybe sort of get some more current thinking on the issue.

Iride01 07-21-21 02:25 PM

I finally bought a pair of bibs last year. I like them, but I can't say that I like them any more or less than the shorts I've been happy with for over 12 years prior.

So for me the only difference is when I step into the restroom or stop on the side of a deserted part of the road or trail.

CAT7RDR 07-21-21 02:45 PM

I like bibs. My only complaint is finding a pair with multiple firm compression panels, long 11" inseam, straps that have enough give so my shoulders are not sore, and rugged resilient material for under $150.

fredlord 07-21-21 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22151756)

What's the big deal about a new thread being started that covers well-trodden ground? No one is forced to read it. Everyone can use the search function too. So, really, what's the big goddamned deal? Just think, without threads like this, people would have one less reason to make snide, mildly passive-aggressive snarky posts to help them get through their day.
:)

urbanknight 07-22-21 09:21 PM

As a pencil thin teen, I didn't care between shorts and bibs. When I grew up and out, I got annoyed that my gut spills over the waistband of shorts. Bibs solve that.

Lazyass 07-23-21 02:10 AM

I wear bib shorts but my winter insulated ones aren't bibs. I don't want the straps on those because sometimes I'll pull over and take off my baselayer when I warm up and it's quicker.

Jumpski 07-27-21 03:54 AM

Bib shorts fit is the key here. I joined the bib cycling team years ago and was pleasantly surprised from day one. Assos bib shorts are more expensive than some but well worth it.

PeteHski 07-27-21 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey (Post 22151337)
Is there any advantage to bibshorts? Is it a matter of preference or comfort? Thanks

For long fast road rides I find them pretty much essential. Nothing IME is more comfortable when you are mashing the pedals for hours at a time. They are less important for more casual rides and not so great if you are stopping for long breaks etc along the way.

pgjackson 07-27-21 09:28 AM

If you aren't sure, get a pair of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $30 on Amazon. I have two pair of Castelli and one Pearl Izumi, and this cheap one from Amazon is not bad. Got it a couple of weeks ago and am impressed so far. If you don't want to drop $100+ on brand name bibs, give it a try. I refused to wear bibs for a long time, but once I did it was a game changer.

Troul 07-27-21 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22159671)
If you aren't sure, get a pair of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $30 on Amazon. I have two pair of Castelli and one Pearl Izumi, and this cheap one from Amazon is not bad. Got it a couple of weeks ago and am impressed so far. If you don't want to drop $100+ on brand name bibs, give it a try. I refused to wear bibs for a long time, but once I did it was a game changer.

is that equipped with a scotch brite sponge thick pad or is it more subtle in profile where it's as thin as a hoodie sweater?

Hypno Toad 07-27-21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nessism (Post 22151397)
Bibs are hotter. I don't like them when summer Temps are high

Really?!? That must be why the pros ride bibs in temps hotter than most of us are willing to ride in. (or you just haven't ridden in quality summer bibs)

zandoval 07-27-21 09:54 AM

Until recently Bib shorts were a real investment for people who could afford them. So if we could not afford bib shorts we would sew some suspenders on to regular bike shorts made out of double face satin ribbon. Bib shorts can keep you private parts in proper alignment. They also keep the top of the shorts from pilling up in that roll of fat at your waist line. Now days there is only about a 10 USD to 20 USD difference in cost between economical Bib and regular cycle shorts. Much better...

Economical Mens Bike Shorts about 20 USD
Economical Mens Bib Sorts about 35 USD

Note: As to the thought of repeating subjects from old threads, why not? Things change. Years ago a set of Bib's could cost 150 USD. Now days they are much cheaper. Ok... Now on to that new thread on Chain Lube or a Comfortable Seat.... Ha

pgjackson 07-27-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22159685)
is that equipped with a scotch brite sponge thick pad or is it more subtle in profile where it's as thin as a hoodie sweater?

It's actually a pretty decent pad and the spandex part is not bad. Quite a bit thinner than my Castellis, but I'm OK with that. Also, the legs are a bit shorter, which I like. The Castelli legs tend to be pretty long. I'd say it was good money spent. I'd recommend them for someone on the fence about bibs.

Troul 07-27-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22159715)
It's actually a pretty decent pad and the spandex part is not bad. Quite a bit thinner than my Castellis, but I'm OK with that. Also, the legs are a bit shorter, which I like. The Castelli legs tend to be pretty long. I'd say it was good money spent. I'd recommend them for someone on the fence about bibs.

I'm referring to the pad thickness to the thickness of a hoodie. The spandex thickness is really never an issue.