Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

big john 09-02-21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212658)
Hey, I can quit whenever I want to!!!

Sure.

bampilot06 09-02-21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22212634)
Youre ballin now. - get the Kickr Bike.

dont tempt me.

bampilot06 09-02-21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212628)
I've got a Snap, and it works well for me, apart from the decorative chevrons on the flywheel coming off. If I'd had a bit more money I'd have bought the Core, or even the Kickr itself. It's my first Smart trainer, so I can't really compare it with anything, but it's SO MUCH BETTER than a dumb trainer! Combined with Zwift, it's made my indoor training not only bearable, but actually enjoyable enough that I rode through the whole winter for the first time ever last year.

I havnt ruled out the snap, but I would prefer the core or kickr. All comes down to how much the bike cost.
Got a quote today for the wilier build which would leave me about 2 grand. But, confusion currently over which build he was referring to. I built one with di2 and fulcrum carbon wheels stages power meter, the other one was with sram rival, power meter and reynolds. Only other thing is I want an estimate on the time.
Only other bike i’m considering is the canyon ultimate cf slx 8. The canyon would leave me about 3500 towards more gear.

I keep going back and forth. Good thing I still have to wait 4 weeks before I can pull the trigger.

Mojo31 09-02-21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212670)
dont tempt me.

You need it. You want it. You know you deserve it! 😜

If you find yourself with time in DFW, you can come by and give it a try.

LesterOfPuppets 09-02-21 07:07 PM

I guess the Golden Gophers are gonna try to make a game of this! :bday:

genejockey 09-02-21 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212681)
I havnt ruled out the snap, but I would prefer the core or kickr. All comes down to how much the bike cost.
Got a quote today for the wilier build which would leave me about 2 grand. But, confusion currently over which build he was referring to. I built one with di2 and fulcrum carbon wheels stages power meter, the other one was with sram rival, power meter and reynolds. Only other thing is I want an estimate on the time.
Only other bike i’m considering is the canyon ultimate cf slx 8. The canyon would leave me about 3500 towards more gear.

I keep going back and forth. Good thing I still have to wait 4 weeks before I can pull the trigger.

I really like my Canyon. BUT, you have to make sure you can achieve your fit. I spent several nights with a tape measure and my (then) 3 bikes, and poring over the geometry tables on the Canyon site before I was satisfied.

LesterOfPuppets 09-02-21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22212648)

You got a final on that yet?

Eric F 09-02-21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22212488)
This is from somewhere up there looking back toward Lone Pine. The Alluvial Fan, or Plain, is ridiculous. I just remember grinding for long time without feeling like I was getting closer to the mountain.If you turn around and look back you can see it. It's a relief when you finally get to the canyon.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9c944e1ea0.jpg

The only other time I had that feeling quite that bad was in the Tejon Pass when 2 of us were riding from hwy 138 to Gorman into a strong headwind. It just didn't seem to be getting any closer for a long time.

I remember that feeling. If I recall, the last stretch of the Portal road that follows the grade is 17%. Then it tuns right when it hits the face of the mountain and eases to 12%.

The last time I did that race, on Day 1, we had a brutal headwind on the long run into Lone Pine that served up a vicious batch of "going nowhere". I was solo, and in 9th place. It's the only time I wanted t get off my bike and cry, but I knew the closest point of relief was the finish line.

DougRNS 09-02-21 07:34 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62b4766311.jpg

big john 09-02-21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22212743)
I remember that feeling. If I recall, the last stretch of the Portal road that follows the grade is 17%. Then it tuns right when it hits the face of the mountain and eases to 12%.

The last time I did that race, on Day 1, we had a brutal headwind on the long run into Lone Pine that served up a vicious batch of "going nowhere". I was solo, and in 9th place. It's the only time I wanted t get off my bike and cry, but I knew the closest point of relief was the finish line.

I remember that long stretch of steep before the mountain. Just relentless. The canyon was easier partly because of the grade and partly because of having turns and a change of scenery.

Velo Vol 09-02-21 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22212648)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9cb07ab8bd.png

LAJ 09-02-21 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22212643)
It just takes time to figure it out. It's good to spin and I recommend spinning when you can but some people just climb better when mashing.
I've always been a perceived effort rider, (no electronics) and I try to settle in to a comfortable pace for long climbs. If it gets to the point I'm just grinding my lowest gear, that's one thing, but I try to keep a reasonable cadence, maybe 80, sometimes slower.

You could try a thing called breathplay. You count your breaths against your cadence, or any measurement of distance. It helps.

I count, I don't look at time, just power, and do anything I can to not look at lap time during intervals, until I reach a certain number in my head.

bampilot06 09-02-21 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212719)
I really like my Canyon. BUT, you have to make sure you can achieve your fit. I spent several nights with a tape measure and my (then) 3 bikes, and poring over the geometry tables on the Canyon site before I was satisfied.

right which I’ve read many articles that said to trust their fit from their website, which is your total height and inner thigh. I don’t know if I trust that. 71 inches tall, 35 inch inseam and it’s telling me I need a medium. I’ve watched a review and a read an article by two different people who are shorter than me and shorter legs who bought a medium.
That makes me a little worried. One of the guys inseam was 31 inches. Seems like a pretty big difference to me.

genejockey 09-02-21 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22212826)
right which I’ve read many articles that said to trust their fit from their website, which is your total height and inner thigh. I don’t know if I trust that. 71 inches tall, 35 inch inseam and it’s telling me I need a medium. I’ve watched a review and a read an article by two different people who are shorter than me and shorter legs who bought a medium.
That makes me a little worried. One of the guys inseam was 31 inches. Seems like a pretty big difference to me.

71.5", 34.5" inseam. I went with a Large. With 12.5mm of spacers under the 110 stem, it fits great. To get the same bar reach, I'd have needed to swap for a 120 or 130mm stem, and run at least another cm of spacers under the stem.

bampilot06 09-02-21 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212850)
71.5", 34.5" inseam. I went with a Large. With 12.5mm of spacers under the 110 stem, it fits great. To get the same bar reach, I'd have needed to swap for a 120 or 130mm stem, and run at least another cm of spacers under the stem.

Thank you for sharing, I’m leaning towards the large as well, but i’ll dive into the numbers some more. I suspect if I buy a large I will have to buy a 100 mm stem, the 110, might me a bit much.
They get more in stock the first week in Oct. which works out perfectly because that’s when I get to make the purchase. I just wish they were getting more of the red e tap builds in stock.

indyfabz 09-03-21 04:37 AM

Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor is still shut down. I’m supposed to take the train back from NYC tomorrow.

ls01 09-03-21 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22212553)
Yes, but I usually don't eat a couple corn dogs and a funnel cake before a climb.

Well there's yer problem!

BillyD 09-03-21 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22212998)
Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor is still shut down. I’m supposed to take the train back from NYC tomorrow.

That Ida remnant was no remnant, it was a full fledged intense storm.

LesterOfPuppets 09-03-21 06:10 AM

I left the house too early, so now sitting at SBUX by the trailhead awaiting civil twilight.

Trsnrtr 09-03-21 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22213039)

Yep. My empathy meter is pegged for everyone from NOL up through the NE. What was unfathomable before is now more common. Sad.

Anyway, lest I fall further in to despair, I'm glad that our affected Addictionites made it through relatively unscathed..

Trsnrtr 09-03-21 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22213050)
I left the house too early, so now sitting at SBUX by the trailhead awaiting civil twilight.

Condolences. I'd have gone for gas station mud.

indyfabz 09-03-21 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22213039)

I know. Did you miss my photos from yesterday?

I’m supposed to drop my car off in Brooklyn tomorrow and take the train home.

datlas 09-03-21 06:40 AM

Anyone know much about cell phone networks? My wife and kids use tracfone and unlocked iPhones of 4-6 year vintage to save $$. They work great and we have had no big problem for years.

Somehow, something changed with the network and their 4G/LTE data won't work anymore. It works for 3G. Curiously, Heidi's works in California but the other 2 don't work here in Philadelphia.

I have called Tracfone and spent a few hours with their representatives, they have me do the usual (turn phone on/off, update software, they initiate some type of network reset) but it still does not work. I can't tell if the problem is with the phones or the cellular network or the provider or what, but I suspect it's something about the cellular network since the problem was "cured" by moving to LA.

For now I am telling them to be satisfied with 3G but that is painfully slow. Advice? I may have to stop being a cheapskate and get them better phones/plan but I am a thrifty guy.

BillyD 09-03-21 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22213070)
I know. Did you miss my photos from yesterday?

I’m supposed to drop my car off in Brooklyn tomorrow and take the train home.

Missed them.

WhyFi 09-03-21 07:09 AM

LPLO *sigh*