Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

LesterOfPuppets 10-16-21 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22272162)
tubeless tires and e shifting may turn me into a retro grouch. DT friction shifters for the win. I don't have time for those problems.

These are micro ratchet, so even nicer than friction, and they go to 11

https://velo-orange.com/products/dia...1s-dt-shifters

genejockey 10-16-21 02:38 PM

Because I've been playing catchup on Zwift Academy, AND doing fit adjustments on several bikes, requiring road testing, I ended up riding the last 6 days in a row, which is new for me. Today I planned as a rest day. My legs are jonesing.

So I took Rango for a walk, with his new harness that should be easier on the calcified disks between his cervical vertebrae. It's got a handy handle, so I could grab him like a suitcase....

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4575e65c0b.jpg

Trsnrtr 10-16-21 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22272325)
Even 700 years before, the basic raised, ramped oval around the central area had already been worked out by the Greeks. But the Romans went BIG!


Two things that surprised me where the fact that they had water drinking fountains routinely spaced and the fact that they had a covering that they could open and close.

genejockey 10-16-21 02:45 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22272343)
Two things that surprised me where the fact that they had water drinking fountains routinely spaced and the fact that they had a covering that they could open and close.

I saw a PBS show on that. They researched what was written about the retractable coverings - which only gave minimal description - and tried to replicate it on a smaller Roman stadium. Like giant shades!

I was surprised at first that there wasn't a better description available, but then I realized that the people whose writings survived completely took the retractable shades for granted, so they had no reason to describe them in great detail. I mean, after all, if you were talking about a TV program you'd seen you wouldn't describe the TV, would you?

genejockey 10-16-21 02:46 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22272340)
These are micro ratchet, so even nicer than friction, and they go to 11

https://velo-orange.com/products/dia...1s-dt-shifters

I kinda feel like mixing 11 speeds and DT friction shifters is making your bike into an oxymoron.

Trsnrtr 10-16-21 02:52 PM

I find all of Rome to be mind-staggering. When we went there, I wanted to see the Pantheon, the Coliseum, and as a highway engineer, walk/drive on the Apian Way. However, when I walked the city for a few days, I was overwhelmed by all of the existing structures, statues, and history. Totally mind boggling. I want to go back but there is only so much time and so many places in this world to visit.

Mojo31 10-16-21 03:04 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22272320)
Holy cow, that sucks! The boat stuff better not do that!

Went back to the store, and the guy did a reset, and viola! He pushed the same buttons to reset that I did 3 or 4 times with no luck. In fact, he even asked me what buttons to push for a reset. Pretty embarrassing.

In other news, productive day so far. Rode this morning. Then mowed the lawns. Grilled burgers for lunch, and watched the Texas games. Just finished mopping the garage. Now time to wash two cars.

Mojo31 10-16-21 03:09 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22272359)
I find all of Rome to be mind-staggering. When we went there, I wanted to see the Pantheon, the Coliseum, and as a highway engineer, walk/drive on the Apian Way. However, when I walked the city for a few days, I was overwhelmed by all of the existing structures, statues, and history. Totally mind boggling. I want to go back but there is only so much time and so many places in this world to visit.

I agree. One of our most memorable trips with the kids. Son was completely enamored by the structural stuff. Daughter wanted her picture taken at all the fountains. Must have snapped 150 coin tosses at Trevi to get the right IG post.

So much there. It's really mind boggli g.

genejockey 10-16-21 03:12 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22272359)
I find all of Rome to be mind-staggering. When we went there, I wanted to see the Pantheon, the Coliseum, and as a highway engineer, walk/drive on the Apian Way. However, when I walked the city for a few days, I was overwhelmed by all of the existing structures, statues, and history. Totally mind boggling. I want to go back but there is only so much time and so many places in this world to visit.

Never been, but it's funny how one tends to think of two thousand year old ruins as something you find in the middle of the desert, not in the middle of a modern city that has been in continuous existence all that time and has been building around them for well over 1000 years.

rjones28 10-16-21 04:00 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22272340)
These are micro ratchet, so even nicer than friction, and they go to 11

https://velo-orange.com/products/dia...1s-dt-shifters

The Old Schwinn got a set, when I went back to the 7-speed drivetrain.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...27feb3b17d.jpg

datlas 10-16-21 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22272426)
The Old Schwinn got a set, when I went back to the 7-speed drivetrain.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...27feb3b17d.jpg

That really has some flair.

WhyFi 10-16-21 04:57 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22272454)
That really has some flair.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...46cc745ca8.jpg

​​​​

big john 10-16-21 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22272011)
Well, the joy of the MGB was never about speed. If I have to be honest, the greatest joy was if it started in the morning with no problem.

A friend once told me the English love to work on their cars, so the car makers accommodate them with cars that need to be worked on a lot. I worked on some of those things. I also owned a p.o.s. Volvo with SU carbs and Lucas electrics, so the next worst thing.

Velo Vol 10-16-21 05:27 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22272298)
It's a contributory negligence issue. The article said they tried to stop the train, but didn't know of the truck on the track early enough to stop the train.

Lack of sparks don't mean brakes were not engaged.

We can't tell from the video or article when it engaged the brakes. All we can say is that it didn't hit the horn the last little bit until there was two seconds left, which obviously was pointless.

I've never looked up railroad law, but based on common practice, they have to hit the horn as they approach the intersection well before that.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22272302)
I have and I found it awesome as in I was in total awe at how modern stadiums are essentially the same. Incredible.

On YouTube there's a video discussing how the Coliseum has survived over time. As in, what general parts were vandalized/stolen, and when. In some ways it's a miracle it still stands, given that no one guarded it for so long.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22272319)

Normal response to baseball.

big john 10-16-21 05:28 PM

I went riding on the mtb in an area of mostly dirt roads. It was not as windy as predicted and it was actually really nice. Lots of young people on e-bikes, not many human powered bikes. At the top of a small climb I stopped to check out the view and 3 people on gravel bikes went by. I tried to chase them downhill but I couldn't see well enough and on the next long-ish climb they pulled away. One of them had a little shifter trouble so they stopped and I offered to help. It was 2 young women and 1 young guy. They were going to the same turn-around spot that I was and they nursed the bike there and fixed it. I still couldn't keep up on the last steep hills.

They all had crabon gravel bikes and they all looked super fit. I took off first and said I would see them when they passed me. It didn't take long. I was on the second climb out and they came by. I tried to up the pace but it was pointless, they were so much faster than anyone else out there who wasn't battery powered. I threatened to get an e-bike and come back and kick their butts and they laughed.

Velo Vol 10-16-21 05:29 PM

Just glanced at Strava at it looks like the west coasters woke up this week. Uh oh.

Mojo31 10-16-21 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22272500)
We can't tell from the video or article when it engaged the brakes. All we can say is that it didn't hit the horn the last little bit until there was two seconds left, which obviously was pointless.

I've never looked up railroad law, but based on common practice, they have to hit the horn as they approach the intersection well before that.

On YouTube there's a video discussing how the Coliseum has survived over time. As in, what general parts were vandalized/stolen, and when. In some ways it's a miracle it still stands, given that no one guarded it for so long.

Normal response to baseball.

https://www.up.com/real_estate/roadx...uiet/index.htm

DougRNS 10-16-21 05:50 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22272332)
Possibly. Mrs datlas had a crush on Joe Buck.

in our house he's known as Joe Suck.

DougRNS 10-16-21 05:56 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c7cd435d9b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f9e599cd30.jpg
pregame and halftime. Owls now up 14-0.
Pain level 7 even though I am on a slightly higher dose. WTF

DougRNS 10-16-21 06:03 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22272342)
Because I've been playing catchup on Zwift Academy, AND doing fit adjustments on several bikes, requiring road testing, I ended up riding the last 6 days in a row, which is new for me. Today I planned as a rest day. My legs are jonesing.

So I took Rango for a walk, with his new harness that should be easier on the calcified disks between his cervical vertebrae. It's got a handy handle, so I could grab him like a suitcase....

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4575e65c0b.jpg

rango looks like he's about to piss.

DougRNS 10-16-21 06:07 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22272359)
I find all of Rome to be mind-staggering. When we went there, I wanted to see the Pantheon, the Coliseum, and as a highway engineer, walk/drive on the Apian Way. However, when I walked the city for a few days, I was overwhelmed by all of the existing structures, statues, and history. Totally mind boggling. I want to go back but there is only so much time and so many places in this world to visit.

Like taking in an Owls game?

DougRNS 10-16-21 06:10 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22272368)
Went back to the store, and the guy did a reset, and viola! He pushed the same buttons to reset that I did 3 or 4 times with no luck. In fact, he even asked me what buttons to push for a reset. Pretty embarrassing.

In other news, productive day so far. Rode this morning. Then mowed the lawns. Grilled burgers for lunch, and watched the Texas games. Just finished mopping the garage. Now time to wash two cars.

Gets it.

genejockey 10-16-21 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22272500)
We can't tell from the video or article when it engaged the brakes. All we can say is that it didn't hit the horn the last little bit until there was two seconds left, which obviously was pointless.

It was pointless before the video even started. That truck was ****ed the moment the driver tried to take it over the hump.

DougRNS 10-16-21 06:14 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22272426)
The Old Schwinn got a set, when I went back to the 7-speed drivetrain.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...27feb3b17d.jpg

handlebars look like they need a nudge to the right to straighten them.

BillyD 10-16-21 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22272522)
in our house he's known as Joe Suck.

I like that broadcast team of him and Troy Aikman, probably my favorite.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.