Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Safe to bike during Flu Season? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1211914)

DreamRider85 09-01-20 06:13 PM

Safe to bike during Flu Season?

It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season? Experts suggest a twin-Demic.

I assume that covid is transmitted person to person but the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?

Flip Flop Rider 09-01-20 06:22 PM

Will ride all winter, at least what we call winter down here. Don't think I've ever caught the flu out riding. Believe the daily riding plays a part in keeping your system resistant to sickness

IGH_Only 09-01-20 06:30 PM

I believe the cold weather weakens your immune system such that you are much more susceptible to pick up the virus. You'd still have to come into contact with the virus. I suppose someone walking or riding a head of you with the flu who sneezes or coughs could possibly lead to someone coming in behind and breathing that air and getting it.

badger1 09-01-20 07:19 PM

I strongly recommend not riding during 'flu season -- indeed, not riding at all. Year round.

There are simply too many hazards 'out there'. Much better to stay in a warm basement, with a secure internet connection, and post on teh Biek Forms.

MattTheHat 09-01-20 07:25 PM

If I’m not mistaken, there’s no scientific evidence that cold air does anything to your immune system.

Skulking 09-01-20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by DreamRider85 (Post 21673087)
It seems safe to bike during the coronavirus. But are you worried about the weather and flu season? Experts suggest a twin-Demic.

I assume that covid is transmitted person to person but the flu can just be transmitted through cold weather and the air right?

The flu is a virus just like COVID-19. They are both transmitted person to person. The effectiveness of specific methods of transmission i.e. breathing on someone, or contact with contaminated surfaces will be different between the two, but neither one of them are transmitted through cold weather, and both can be transmitted through the air.

To answer the other part of your question, I'm no more worried about catching the flu from biking than I am of catching COVID-19 from biking. The risk of close contact with an infected individual while on a bike outdoors is minuscule, and if you are taking precautions such as wearing a mask and social distancing to prevent yourself from catching COVID-19, those precautions are also effective at preventing you from catching the flu.

shelbyfv 09-01-20 07:33 PM

Got that flu shot yet? Highly advised even for folks who stay indoors.

genejockey 09-01-20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21673208)

Exactly. There's a vaccine for flu.

I do wonder whether this flu season will be that bad, since everyone's masked and distancing and washing hands, which is exactly what you'd do to slow the spread of the flu.

Litespud 09-01-20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by DreamRider85 (Post 21673087)

actually there’s a strong possibility that the flu season will be very mild this year. The population has likely never before been as primed to minimize spread of an airborne virus. The precautions you take against Covid will protect you equally from flu

tkamd73 09-01-20 08:06 PM

Plan on skiing this winter, parking the bikes, not too worried.
Tim

August West 09-01-20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21673208)

Along these lines when I mentioned to my sister who is a nurse and helps out at flu shot clinics that I was going to get my flu shot this week she suggested I wait until Oct. Her take is the vaccine antibodies lose strength over time and the vaccine is only effective for 6 months so it is better to wait until closer to the start of flu season so you will have the best protection durning over the winter.

Flip Flop Rider 09-01-20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21673194)
If I’m not mistaken, there’s no scientific evidence that cold air does anything to your immune system.

not the cold air that's helping, the fact that you are out riding, getting the blood flowing on a regular basis

MattTheHat 09-01-20 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider (Post 21673304)
not the cold air that's helping, the fact that you are out riding, getting the blood flowing on a regular basis

I mean no negative effects of cold air. Lots of people seem to think just being out in the cold will make you sick. I rode my trainer last winter many times in below freezing temps in my garage wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

c_m_shooter 09-01-20 09:02 PM

The more time you spend outside the better. Winter viruses are spread when we are inside too close together for too long. You have better than a 99% chance of being just fine as long as you don't have other issues, don't fall for the fear mongering.

JohnDThompson 09-02-20 06:48 AM

The same mitigation methods used to fight spread of covid-19 will also help against seasonal influenza: mask use, social distancing, hygiene. And seasonal influenza has an additional, effective mitigation tool that is lacking for covid-19: vaccination.

mack_turtle 09-02-20 07:05 AM

there's a flu vaccine. I failed to get one for several years and got lucky, but I am starting to get one every year. costs nothing, takes two minutes at the grocery store pharmacy, and probably saves me from missing a week of life lying in bed.

indyfabz 09-02-20 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by badger1 (Post 21673183)
I strongly recommend not riding during 'flu season -- indeed, not riding at all. Year round.

There are simply too many hazards 'out there'. Much better to stay in a warm basement, with a secure internet connection, and post on teh Biek Forms.

I gave it serious consideration before deciding that there is no way I can embellish this comment.

Reflector Guy 09-02-20 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21673345)
Lots of people seem to think just being out in the cold will make you sick.

My mother thinks that way. Probably all of our mothers do.

Just like how watching TV in a dark room will ruin our eyesight.

badger1 09-02-20 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21673764)

Just like how watching TV in a dark room will ruin our eyesight.

It doesn't? Huh! I was taught that doing that was one of two sure-fire ways to ruin one's eyesight.

Flip Flop Rider 09-02-20 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21673345)
I mean no negative effects of cold air. Lots of people seem to think just being out in the cold will make you sick. I rode my trainer last winter many times in below freezing temps in my garage wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

agree:)

flan48 09-02-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MattTheHat (Post 21673194)

I agree, and in fact, ride all year, including throughout New Jersey winters (unless there is snow/ice on the roads).

Since I've been riding regularly, i.e. for the last 8 or 9 years, my resistance has actually become much stronger. SInce that time I've no longer come down with my once per winter, generally late winter, flu/severe cold and cough. Of course that's just anecdotal, but certainly fresh air does wonders.

Best regards

C.corri 09-02-20 08:41 AM

I live in Phoenix and have never really had to change my lifestyle For flu season. I would worry more about flu season if I was in a gym environment using the same equipment that other people were just using.

blknytro 09-02-20 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by flan48 (Post 21673823)
I agree, and in fact, ride all year, including throughout New Jersey winters (unless there is snow/ice on the roads).

Since I've been riding regularly, i.e. for the last 8 or 9 years, my resistance has actually become much stronger. SInce that time I've no longer come down with my once per winter, generally late winter, flu/severe cold and cough. Of course that's just anecdotal, but certainly fresh air does wonders.

Best regards

Totally agree. I rarely get sick- having a healthy lifestyle will certainly reduce the risk of catching something. Keep riding!

pdlamb 09-02-20 10:57 AM

I think I've generally had less flu and colds since I started bike commuting year-round. Some of the cause is probably clearing my sinuses before and after work (beneficial side effect of snot rockets! :) and some is probably better health in general because of the exercise. Some of it may just be regular deep breathing to clear my lungs out before the respired viruses I pick up indoors, with all the infectious people, can colonize my airways.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 21673246)
I do wonder whether this flu season will be that bad, since everyone's masked and distancing and washing hands, which is exactly what you'd do to slow the spread of the flu.

Well, not everybody. :( Which, of course, is why we are still having flare-ups of Covid. :(

indyfabz 09-02-20 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21673764)

My mom used to tell me to not sit on cold ground or I would catch a cold in my back.