Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Looking for Shimano 105 simple solution (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1252065)

PNWman 05-20-22 07:59 AM

Looking for Shimano 105 simple solution

Hello all,

Currently running a stock 2007 Kona JTS { high vis green/lime) sans a 34T chainring I swapped to replace the stock 36T upfront.

So, stock is 105 drivetrain, 10 speed, short cage RD, 10 sp 105 shifters, 2x up front. I'm seeking better climbing capabilities (I haven't ridden for a bit due to the ankle biters at home) and have a bikpacking trip (my first) coming up so need to get this dialed.

I purchased the below to allow for a wider range,

-Shimano 105 RD-5701-GS RD

-Shimano 10sp chain CN-HG95 -Shimano 105 CS-HG700-11 11-34T cassette

So first and foremost is there any way to make this work?

10 sp shifter v. 11 sp cassette?

If this will not work any suggestions as to the most simple and affordable fix at this juncture?

Is there one of the above components I can swap out to make this combo work?

I am really after the 32T but preferably a 34T cassette range.

Thanks for the input!

bboy314 05-20-22 08:06 AM

Seems like the simple solution is to get a 10 speed cassette which will be compatible with the rest of your drivetrain.

Iride01 05-20-22 08:42 AM

You need a 10 speed cassette. The 11 speed cassette will only be useful if you love to tinker, have great mechanical abilities and can improvise stuff to make a half-arsed solution work well enough for you and you take great pride in such things.

What is your rear DR. That will most affect the largest tooth count you can put on the cassette. If it's a Shimano DR, then the part and version number will be printed on the back of the parallelogram. It'll be real hard to see if it's gunked up. But from the other side of the wheel, a camera zoomed in on it and a good light, you might see it.

You might very well be better off getting a new crank with smaller still ring or rings. Is this 1x or 2x? Still a drop bar with STI's or some other type bar with independent shift levers a brake levers.

ClydeClydeson 05-20-22 08:45 AM

As above, no there is no simple way to make a 10sp shifter work with an 11sp cassette (no way at all AFAIK - there aren't enough clicks). You need a 10sp cassette, or an 11 sp shifter.

cxwrench 05-20-22 09:03 AM

Why would you buy an 11 speed cassette? :wtf:

csport 05-20-22 09:08 AM

As others said, you need a 10 speed cassette.

Your drivetrain has the "old" cable pull ratio for RD (as opposed to the "new" one of Shimano 11 speed road and 10 speed 4700 series Tiagra). This pull ratio is also shared by almost all road/MTB RDs up to 9 speed. I am saying this because something like Shimano RD-M591 or Microshift M46 RD (I had a very good experience with the latter, caveat is that I run 9 speed) may work for you, it will have even higher chain wrap/largest cog capacity. If it works you will be able to fit a 10 speed 11-36 cassette.

PNWman 05-20-22 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 22513413)
Why would you buy an 11 speed cassette? :wtf:

Well I misread, thinking it was compatible with a 10 speed hub, which it is but neglected to take into account the shifter, 10sp v. 11sp.

PNWman 05-20-22 09:27 AM

I appreciate all the quick replies. I will order a Tiagra 10sp cassette and call it good. When ordering the new hg700 cassette I was thinking I would remove the spacer and perhaps a cog to get the 10 sp effect. Lesson learned.

PNWman 05-20-22 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22513389)
You need a 10 speed cassette. The 11 speed cassette will only be useful if you love to tinker, have great mechanical abilities and can improvise stuff to make a half-arsed solution work well enough for you and you take great pride in such things.

What is your rear DR. That will most affect the largest tooth count you can put on the cassette. If it's a Shimano DR, then the part and version number will be printed on the back of the parallelogram. It'll be real hard to see if it's gunked up. But from the other side of the wheel, a camera zoomed in on it and a good light, you might see it.

My stock RD is a Shimano 105, 10-speed, short cage.

You might very well be better off getting a new crank with smaller still ring or rings. Is this 1x or 2x? Still a drop bar with STI's or some other type bar with independent shift levers a brake levers.

This is a 2x

70sSanO 05-20-22 10:19 AM

You don’t need a Shimano branded cassette, you can use a Shimano compatible cassette which include SRAM and the lower priced Sunrace.

This does allow you to find the gearing/gapping that suits your objective.

Your RD-5701-GS is rated at 32t max cog. Shimano is generally conservative and you can probably run a 34t. Pushing it to 36t night be tough, but it is more hanger dependent of the specific bike. Some work and some don’t.

John

Hondo6 05-21-22 02:57 PM

FWIW: Jenson USA had at least one type of Microshift 11-32 10 speed cassette (w/o "spider") in stock as of about 5 min ago. Price was about $27 plus S/H.

I've heard good things about Microshift products, so that might be an option if you have trouble finding a Shimano cassette at a reasonable price.

Jedneck 05-21-22 03:41 PM

I went with a 46/30 front and a 12-30 cassette on my gravel bike. Works great.

Bill Kapaun 05-21-22 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 70sSanO (Post 22513535)
You don’t need a Shimano branded cassette, you can use a Shimano compatible cassette which include SRAM and the lower priced Sunrace.

This does allow you to find the gearing/gapping that suits your objective.

Your RD-5701-GS is rated at 32t max cog. Shimano is generally conservative and you can probably run a 34t. Pushing it to 36t night be tough, but it is more hanger dependent of the specific bike. Some work and some don’t.

John

According to this spec sheet, Max cog is 30T which means the OP MIGHT be able to use a 32T. Maybe NOT, depending on other factors.

PNWman 05-21-22 04:44 PM

So I went with a Tiagra HG cassette 11-34t, 10 speed. Im feeling optimistic it will work with my 105 gs RD and of course a new chain. I'm going to tackle this project tomorrow when the goods arrive!

BTinNYC 05-22-22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by PNWman (Post 22514782)
So I went with a Tiagra HG cassette 11-34t, 10 speed. Im feeling optimistic it will work with my 105 gs RD and of course a new chain. I'm going to tackle this project tomorrow when the goods arrive!

I am running this combo without an issue.