Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Air cell cushion saddle cover (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1231254)

sysrq 05-24-21 05:04 PM

Air cell cushion saddle cover

This might be a fringe/cringe question but is there anything similar to Airhawk or WildAss motorcycle covers for bicycles? People say they are better than gel covers. Another thing would be reduced weight.
Edit. Found Vanten air cell cushion for bicycles on amazon.

kahn 05-24-21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22074422)
This might be a fringe/cringe question but is there anything similar to Airhawk or WildAss covers for bicycles? People say they are better than gel covers. Another thing would be reduced weight.
Edit. Found Vanten air cell cushion for bicycles on amazon.

Might you have a link for it? Thanks

sysrq 05-24-21 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22074527)
Might you have a link for it? Thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09...b_b_prod_image

kahn 05-24-21 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22074723)

Ah, so I spelled it right but not on the US site! But I do see similar items.

sysrq 05-25-21 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22074758)
Ah, so I spelled it right but not on the US site! But I do see similar items.

Any links?

kahn 05-25-21 06:34 AM

There are a few on this overall saddle page:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=air+saddl...s_ts-doa-p_3_8

indyfabz 05-25-21 06:49 AM

Love the text.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

Koyote 05-25-21 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22074982)

That part about causing skin acne, hemorrhoids, and harm to the testicles makes it pretty irresistible. That's just what I'm looking for.

Iride01 05-25-21 07:24 AM

People riding motorcycles don't constantly move their legs up and down. So comfort isn't going to translate well between the two.

kahn 05-25-21 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22074982)

That does about say it all. Got to protect the personal rocky mountain oysters! ;)

indyfabz 05-25-21 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22074986)
That part about causing skin acne, hemorrhoids, and harm to the testicles makes it pretty irresistible. That's just what I'm looking for.

Heh. I think what they tried to say is that the high temperature and "sultry" can cause those problems. Clearly something got lost in translation.

sysrq 05-26-21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22075017)
People riding motorcycles don't constantly move their legs up and down. So comfort isn't going to translate well between the two.

Theoretically it should help for the pressure sores around the sit bones. People say it makes them feel disconnected from motorcycle during technical sections. Some of them have a thin gel pads on the top, so one can always deflate it on the go if needed.

PeteHski 05-26-21 04:25 AM

I think you would be much better off buying a new saddle if your current one is uncomfortable. A cover sounds like a poor solution.

Badger6 05-26-21 05:56 AM

See Rule #61.

kahn 05-26-21 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Badger6 (Post 22076347)

My rule book is at the summer cottage. Might you refresh my memory? :)

Iride01 05-26-21 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22076228)
Theoretically it should help for the pressure sores around the sit bones. People say it makes them feel disconnected from motorcycle during technical sections. Some of them have a thin gel pads on the top, so one can always deflate it on the go if needed.

If you haven't tried it and acquired some data, then it's just hypothetical. <grin>

However when I rode very little because I worked and didn't make time to ride, I tended to like cushiony saddles. That was just for 20 minute rides in the neighborhood and at a slow pace. As careers slowed down for me I began to ride more and more. That cushiony saddle just made more places for my skin to rub becoming sore and irritated.

Remember on a bicycle your legs are constantly going up and down rubbing on the saddle. If you ride long, you don't want your legs plowing through the cushioning of the saddle as they move.

sysrq 05-26-21 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22076479)
If you haven't tried it and acquired some data, then it's just hypothetical. <grin>

However when I rode very little because I worked and didn't make time to ride, I tended to like cushiony saddles. That was just for 20 minute rides in the neighborhood and at a slow pace. As careers slowed down for me I began to ride more and more. That cushiony saddle just made more places for my skin to rub becoming sore and irritated.

Remember on a bicycle your legs are constantly going up and down rubbing on the saddle. If you ride long, you don't want your legs plowing through the cushioning of the saddle as they move.

Only 2 years ago I was able to ride on a hard leather saddle for 9 hours per day even after winter break. Now at different location tried Brooks, Selle Anatomica and nothing feels right, only Lepper Concorde with softened leather and plain gel cover on top of it seems to have proper width and curvature which feels supportive, but after 1-2 hours it starts to feel too painful on the sitbones, so had no other choice but to look for new solutions. The Vanten air cell cover feels like something is constantly poking in you. Seems wierd since inflatable air cell cushions are used to prevent bed sores on wheelchairs and such. Bicycle saddles must be the hardest thing in the world to get right. Some said that they are using inflatable air cell cushions on long motorcycle journeys only as a bailout solution to provide some change.

Iride01 05-26-21 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22076504)
Only 2 years ago I was able to ride on a hard leather saddle for 9 hours per day even after winter break. Now at different location tried Brooks, Selle Anatomica and nothing feels right, only Lepper Concorde with softened leather and plain gel cover on top of it seems to provide proper width and curvature which feels supportive, but after 1-2 hours it starts to feel too painful on the sitbones, so had no other choice but to look for new solutions. The Vanten air cell cover feels like something is constantly poking in you. Seems wierd since inflatable air cell cushions are used to prevent bed sores on wheelchairs and such. Bicycle saddles must be the hardest thing in the world to get right.

No they aren't really hard to get right. Just costs money to be trying to find the right one for you. Also your perceptions change as you go through the process and what was once important becomes less important.

You claim of pain in your sit bones just has me believing that your butt just hasn't gotten used to the saddle. Did you take some time off from riding? My butt goes through that briefly for about two weeks or so if I haven't ridden in a while. Or even if I ride an unusually long ride after only doing short rides for a while.

Perhaps your cushion isn't letting your sit bones adjust like they should. And if that is your issue, then it can be quite painful to sit on the saddle for a week or so. However if this is muscle pain or skin irritation, then that is not going to go away if you don't find the issue.

kahn 05-26-21 09:05 AM

Years ago, I purchased a Brooks. I came home from a long ride quite "damaged!" A bikie friend along on the ride suggested that since he commuted 10-15 miles each day, he'd use my saddle for a month. He did a wonderful job breaking it in. Unfortunately, it succumbed many years later to getting slammed by a pickup truck after said pickup truck slammed into me. For a year or so, I had cut holes in saddles to accommodate the smashed left sitting bone (I left my butt mark by indenting the entire side panel of the truck about 3 inches. It was a "good" collision. I also sat on foam at home and at work for a long time. Generally, got over it but more recently that sitting bone does protest too much. Still playing with solutions.

sysrq 05-26-21 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22076525)
No they aren't really hard to get right. Just costs money to be trying to find the right one for you. Also your perceptions change as you go through the process and what was once important becomes less important.

You claim of pain in your sit bones just has me believing that your butt just hasn't gotten used to the saddle. Did you take some time off from riding? My butt goes through that briefly for about two weeks or so if I haven't ridden in a while. Or even if I ride an unusually long ride after only doing short rides for a while.

Perhaps your cushion isn't letting your sit bones adjust like they should. And if that is your issue, then it can be quite painful to sit on the saddle for a week or so. However if this is muscle pain or skin irritation, then that is not going to go away if you don't find the issue.

Well previously I could ride straight for 7-9 hours in a day even after long winter break. Now the only riding is every 2 months for 4 hours per day. I have no other utilitarian opportunities to ride since riding around boring congested city just for fun without good reason doesn't seem right. Reducing the sitbone pain more would provide chance to ride more than 4 hours per day when necessary at some point and shorten the healing/recovery time.

Iride01 05-26-21 09:31 AM

A four hour ride every two months will make my butt hurt too. I wouldn't even put much hope in any saddle ever being right for you. A recumbent bike seems to me the way to go if you want to make that infrequent ride with little pain.

sysrq 05-26-21 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22076624)
A four hour ride every two months will make my butt hurt too. I wouldn't even put much hope in any saddle ever being right for you. A recumbent bike seems to me the way to go if you want to make that infrequent ride with little pain.

I was thinking about recumbent for some time since it would also reduce possible leg swelling, but since the socioecological circumstances aren't aligned yet then probability to get and use one is slim at the moment.
Although even recumbent is famous for recumbut which probably feels the same way as sitting in your bed for a relatively long time. I think the only way to cycle long distances would be possible only when periodically swapping out recumbent for upright bike. Also tried the Manta saddle but it feels unsafe due to lack of nose and the edge of it seems to press too much at the back of the thighs which cuts of the blood circulation.

phughes 05-26-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by sysrq (Post 22076228)

The disconnected feeling on a motorcycle occurs when the user puts too much air in the AirHawk. The trick is using very little air, just enough to take the pressure off the sit bones and tail bone, without actually lifting those areas off the seat. That being said, I am not sure how well it would work on a bicycle. On a motorcycle seat, there is a larger area, enabling the weight to be spread out over a larger area, thereby taking the weight off the sit bones and tailbone when the AirHawk is used correctly. With this pad, since the main point of contact is actually the sit bones, I really do not see how it would work effectively.

sysrq 05-27-21 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 22076853)
The disconnected feeling on a motorcycle occurs when the user puts too much air in the AirHawk. The trick is using very little air, just enough to take the pressure off the sit bones and tail bone, without actually lifting those areas off the seat. That being said, I am not sure how well it would work on a bicycle. On a motorcycle seat, there is a larger area, enabling the weight to be spread out over a larger area, thereby taking the weight off the sit bones and tailbone when the AirHawk is used correctly. With this pad, since the main point of contact is actually the sit bones, I really do not see how it would work effectively.

Seems like there is a very little threshold with air, at one point it feels like it's poking in you, at another with slightly lower pressure it feels too mushy. They can also be filled with water which doesn't compress like air. Should feel like a water bed then.
With water it might whick away the heat too much below certain temperature though. Gell is something in between water and solid so it doesn't feel too hot during the summer when not exposed to direct sunlight and not cold during the winter.