Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

WhyFi 09-08-21 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22220876)
I'm 100% in favor of a gym trainer pushing me to squeeze two more out of exhausted muscles, because I know I will benefit disproportionately from those extra two. That two makes a difference. But two more miles out of 100 makes no difference at all except to the pedantic on the sidelines. It's a joke.

I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't go that far. Much of physical accomplishment is mental and emotional; if 100 means something to someone that 98 doesn't, who am I to judge? Good on them.

Mojo31 09-08-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22220877)
:foo:

Okay. Still not making sense, though. Eddington is just the number of rides at a mileage equal to or greater than that number; rides don't need to be contained within 24 hour days and it's lifetime, not annual. My current Eddington is a measly 64, but 67 is within a year's reach.

Thought it was annual. Stand corrected.

WhyFi 09-08-21 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220933)
Thought it was annual. Stand corrected.

Ooof - an annual Eddington would just make me feel bad about myself.

Eric F 09-08-21 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22220877)
:foo:

Okay. Still not making sense, though. Eddington is just the number of rides at a mileage equal to or greater than that number; rides don't need to be contained within 24 hour days and it's lifetime, not annual. My current Eddington is a measly 64, but 67 is within a year's reach.

I am today years old when I learned what an Eddington number is. Thank you.

Mojo31 09-08-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22220969)

I never knew either, but can tell you WhyFi's number makes me feel inferior.

WhyFi 09-08-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22220969)

If you're on Strava, you can click through here (https://swinny.net/Strava/-4691-My-S...dington-Number), grant access and it'll scrape your stats and let you know what's what.

Eric F 09-08-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22219339)
Very impressed with the shipping speed of a package from Lordgun (Italy) - shipped Friday, delivered today. Got me some skinwall Pirelli P-Zero TLs for my Storck. I'm hoping I get the opportunity to mount them tonight.

I attempted to install my new P-Zeros last night. The rear needed some help from a CO2 cartridge to get seated. On the front, I quit trying after wasting the last 2 cartridges I had, and will make a stop at the LBS today for some compressor help. Damnit. :mad:

Eric F 09-08-21 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22220977)
If you're on Strava, you can click through here (https://swinny.net/Strava/-4691-My-S...dington-Number), grant access and it'll scrape your stats and let you know what's what.

37. Considering I've only been back on the bike for less than 2 years, I'm not surprised how low this is. It also aligns with the Sunday group ride I do most frequently, which makes sense.

phrantic09 09-08-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22220979)
I attempted to install my new P-Zeros last night. The rear needed some help from a CO2 cartridge to get seated. On the front, I quit trying after wasting the last 2 cartridges I had, and will make a stop at the LBS today for some compressor help. Damnit. :mad:

That's a bummer - I was worried about that with my Power Road but a little dish soap went a long way

WhyFi 09-08-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220976)
I never knew either, but can tell you WhyFi's number makes me feel inferior.

Mine really isn't that high; a few years of regularly riding metric centuries is all it took.

Eric F 09-08-21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22220992)
That's a bummer - I was worried about that with my Power Road but a little dish soap went a long way

This is the first time I have been unable to get a tire seated - road or MTB. My relationship with these Pirellis is off to a rocky start.

WhyFi 09-08-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22220997)
This is the first time I have been unable to get a tire seated - road or MTB. My relationship with these Pirellis is off to a rocky start.

Hmm. Tight? If so, this actually gives me a little more hope that they'll stay beadlocked on my Zipps when deflated. I guess I'll find out for sure in the spring, though.

LAJ 09-08-21 11:13 AM

Next thing you know, crits in the garage are going to be "good enough".

Eric F 09-08-21 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22221003)
Hmm. Tight? If so, this actually gives me a little more hope that they'll stay beadlocked on my Zipps when deflated. I guess I'll find out for sure in the spring, though.

The rear went on fairly easily, and stayed seated after the initial inflation while I put in the juice. The front was a tougher battle to get on the rim, and colorful words were spoken. The front is the one that I couldn't get seated.

DougRNS 09-08-21 11:24 AM

Here you go Velo Vol It's your favorite time of year.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aa0ecaf5d1.jpg

Jack Tone 09-08-21 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22221010)
The rear went on fairly easily, and stayed seated after the initial inflation while I put in the juice. The front was a tougher battle to get on the rim, and colorful words were spoken. The front is the one that I couldn't get seated.

I've no experience with tubeless bike tires, but with car tires that won't seat because the air leaks from the beads, we use a cord around the center of the tire, cinched, to spread the beads to the rim wall. Might work?

Eric F 09-08-21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22221025)
I've no experience with tubeless bike tires, but with car tires that won't seat because the air leaks from the beads, we use a cord around the center of the tire, cinched, to spread the beads to the rim wall. Might work?

I don't see that working for a supple high-end road tire.

Velo Vol 09-08-21 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22220570)
Well, at the time it was pretty loose, and I could go pretty much anywhere except the in bounds area of the field or court. The area between the 20s was not good because of all of the players and coaches in that area. I'd typically shoot from the end zone. Sometimes I'd move to the sidelines when the ball was in the red zone to either shoot side shots of runners, the defense, or receivers in the end zone. Once the refs got to know that you wouldn't get in their way or in the way of the plays, they were pretty relaxed.

But you weren't prohibited from being on the sidelines with the players/coaches standing around?

Did you have a knack for guessing the playcalling?

genejockey 09-08-21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22220668)
98 miles isn't 100 miles, even if you're using common core math. The only time I will ride the extra 2 is on New Years Day, because the ride is called The New Years Day Century. Otherwise, it ends up where it ends up.

55 years later, and we're still reinventing arithmetic.

Velo Vol 09-08-21 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22221023)

No.

genejockey 09-08-21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22220701)
Doesn't count to who? Is there a rule book somewhere? Is 199.9 miles a double century?
It's just folklore, just a fun thing people do for recreation. What if I do 100 miles but don't have a computer?
What if I did 99 miles and said it was "roughly" a century?
I've done literally hundreds of rides in the ball park of 100, some 110, some 98. It doesn't matter to me. I was still on the bike for hours, either suffering or having a great time. I can call them centuries if I want, even if the rules committee disallows some of them.

Remember - this is the guy who thinks a millennium is 999 years.

LAJ 09-08-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22221023)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aa0ecaf5d1.jpg

IKR? Even they are on the bandwagon.

genejockey 09-08-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22220731)
McCarthy's coke addiction caused a heart attack before he got clean. He was also drinking to excess.

Well, you should always drink to SOMETHING.

seedsbelize2 09-08-21 11:44 AM

The one time I attempted a double metric, I made it to 118 miles and could go no more.

seedsbelize2 09-08-21 11:46 AM

We know an anti-vax RN whose grandfather, an MD, refused the polio vaccine.