Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Shimano Introduces "Warp Resistant" Road Disc Rotors (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254362)

PoorInRichfield 06-30-22 07:22 AM

Shimano Introduces "Warp Resistant" Road Disc Rotors

Somewhat eclipsed by the announcement of the new Shimano 105 Di2 group set, Shimano also announced new disc brake rotors that are less prone to warping...

New SHIMANO Rotors Deliver Quieter, More Consistent Braking Performance

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b734c80c77.jpg

I wonder how these rotors compare to XTR rotors in terms of their ability to not warp. I'm running XTR rotors on my Ultegra Di2 setup and they do make noise after hard breaking, like when there's a stop sign at the bottom of a long descent. The XTR rotor carriers are already more "beefy" than the road discs. Perhaps a "Dura Ace vs XTR rotor warp comparison" could be a future GCN episode. ;)

jgwilliams 06-30-22 08:34 AM

Warp resistant rotors sound great. Now all we need is a warp capable bike.

prj71 06-30-22 09:30 AM

Hmmm...Real deal or gimmick?

I have never had my rotors warp on any of my bikes.

BlazingPedals 06-30-22 12:02 PM

The main gist seems to be that they will run cooler (I wonder about that) and less apt to warp due to heat. Will an aluminum carrier be more prone to failure due to repeated braking stresses? It'd be a Bad Thing(tm) if your brakes ran without rubbing, but you could eventually count on them to explode on a big downhill.

Most mechanicals work by warping the rotors. Will they work with these new rotors?

Darth Lefty 06-30-22 12:09 PM

can I get some for my Honda minivan

Troul 06-30-22 01:04 PM

it might just be Shimano venting out a product for those that can ride fast, but don't have the best braking judgement.

t2p 06-30-22 02:41 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9eba708d8.jpeg
I believe Shimano has offered the three layer rotors for a number of years - and the 'Freeza ' or similar version since 2018 or so ???

XTR RT99 rotor ... 2018 or so ?

Atlas Shrugged 06-30-22 02:55 PM

My understanding is that Fiamme invented warp-resistant braking surfaces in 1934 quickly followed by Mavic.

veganbikes 06-30-22 08:22 PM

Shimano at least on some bikes we had, came with warped rotors for a while, every once and while we still get them. Less common on other brands but I am sure it happens once and while. More warp resistance could be good. Really just a good stiff rotor is a positive, I am game.

shrtdstncrdr 06-30-22 09:40 PM

I'm trying to think of a way to adjust the warp in the same way one would straighten a rim by the spokes.

I suppose the rotor would have to be thin enough to take adjustment. Let's say you had a bolt system either inside or outside the rotor with very small philips...allen... TORX fasteners you could adjust inwardly or outwardly to straighten the rotor. Or shim it.

Just a thought

koala logs 07-01-22 03:28 AM

My $2 disc rotors doesn't warp unless I come across a dense cloud of tachyon particles.

Seriously, I didn't even know rotor warp exists until this thread. I've gone long mountain descents, emergency braking during these descents with my cheap $2 single piece steel rotors and never had anything but consistent and smooth braking. Imagining a problem that doesn't really exist??

t2p 07-01-22 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22560077)
My $2 disc rotors doesn't warp unless I come across a dense cloud of tachyon particles.

Seriously, I didn't even know rotor warp exists until this thread. I've gone long mountain descents, emergency braking during these descents with my cheap $2 single piece steel rotors and never had anything but consistent and smooth braking. Imagining a problem that doesn't really exist??

never had rotor rub when riding your bike ?

you've never experienced brake pedal 'pulsating' when applying the brakes on your car ?

koala logs 07-01-22 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22560126)
never had rotor rub when riding your bike ?

you've never experienced brake pedal 'pulsating' when applying the brakes on your car ?

Hmmm. Never did.

The brake pedal pulsating on the car I think happens to be the action of some primitive 90's era ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems) because I ONLY experience those pulsating feedback when braking over loose surfaces like mud, sand, regardless of ambient temperatures OR when I'm using summer tires on wet roads and I'm skidding all over the road. It doesn't feel like a rotor warp but rather feels a lot like a mechanical feedback because it can feel pretty rough depending on the car model.

The pulsating seems to release the brakes intermittently and helps me steer when braking at the same time over loose surfaces. Before on 80's cars without ABS if I lock the front wheels, there's no way I can steer the car.

rsbob 07-01-22 11:44 PM

My new, 1 month old front rotor is already warped.

These are what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting. Will get an order in with my LBS ASAP.

Polaris OBark 07-02-22 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22559593)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9eba708d8.jpeg
I believe Shimano has offered the three layer rotors for a number of years - and the 'Freeza ' or similar version since 2018 or so ???

XTR RT99 rotor ... 2018 or so ?

I have one of those -- just stuck it on my wife's bike. She drags her rear brake, and the crappy stock rotor turned multi-colored. This one seems to handle her abuse much better.

koala logs 07-02-22 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22561245)
I have one of those -- just stuck it on my wife's bike. She drags her rear brake, and the crappy stock rotor turned multi-colored. This one seems to handle her abuse much better.

Multicolored means the brake rotor would have been glowing red hot (you won't see the glow unless it's night). You might want to inspect brake pads and the brake calipers as well. On long descents where I might have dragged the brakes like due to plenty of tight turns on the way down, I just sit in a more upright posture and unzip my jersey to create as much aero drag as possible. That helps reduce my speed without depending too much on the brakes.

t2p 07-02-22 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22560181)
Hmmm. Never did.

The brake pedal pulsating on the car I think happens to be the action of some primitive 90's era ABS (Anti-lock Braking Systems) because I ONLY experience those pulsating feedback when braking over loose surfaces like mud, sand, regardless of ambient temperatures OR when I'm using summer tires on wet roads and I'm skidding all over the road. It doesn't feel like a rotor warp but rather feels a lot like a mechanical feedback because it can feel pretty rough depending on the car model.

The pulsating seems to release the brakes intermittently and helps me steer when braking at the same time over loose surfaces. Before on 80's cars without ABS if I lock the front wheels, there's no way I can steer the car.

Yes - I'm familiar with ABS pulsating

I mentioned a different type pulsating - pulsating due to warped or glazed rotors - fairly common (especially for those that often brake late / hard)

t2p 07-02-22 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22561238)
My new, 1 month old front rotor is already warped.

These are what I have been looking for. Thanks for posting. Will get an order in with my LBS ASAP.

for some - the move to a larger rotor (diameter) solved the rotor overheat / warp issue

example - move to 180mm from 160mm

Polaris OBark 07-02-22 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22561293)
Multicolored means the brake rotor would have been glowing red hot (you won't see the glow unless it's night). You might want to inspect brake pads and the brake calipers as well. On long descents where I might have dragged the brakes like due to plenty of tight turns on the way down, I just sit in a more upright posture and unzip my jersey to create as much aero drag as possible. That helps reduce my speed without depending too much on the brakes.

The pads look fine (apart from wearing out frequently). We have steep, windy roads. I chew through huge numbers of brake pads (and lots of rotors), but apply the front and back more evenly.

rsbob 07-02-22 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22561306)
for some - the move to a larger rotor (diameter) solved the rotor overheat / warp issue

example - move to 180mm from 160mm

didn’t know that larger would fit without new calipers. Thanks for the tip!

koala logs 07-02-22 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22561303)
Yes - I'm familiar with ABS pulsating

I mentioned a different type pulsating - pulsating due to warped or glazed rotors - fairly common (especially for those that often brake late / hard)

I see. Well, I never brake hard when I'm driving a car. The only times I activated the ABS is braking over mud, ice, and having the wrong tires for the season.

I can't imagine warping the brake rotors of a car, they are much thicker, especially the front disc.

I seldom do hard / abrupt braking on the bike and never for no reason. If did, it's usually for motorists who cut me off and stop right in front of me on the bike lane. Even then, I don't brake hard enough and in few cases, I left a dent in the car's body work. They probably deserved it anyway!

t2p 07-02-22 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22561467)

please note : a new caliper mount / adapter will also be required (to move caliper out appropriate distance)

Polaris OBark 07-02-22 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22561467)

Just an adaptor.

Some road forks are specced for 160mm max. Some road rear triangles won't fit a larger rotor than 160 or 140 mm.

NoWhammies 07-03-22 05:09 PM

I am up for warp resistant rotors. Where I live we have a LOT of mountains/hills. On those descent my rotors, specifically my front, tend to warp. Of course once they cool down the rotors return to their normal state. But sure. I am interested in more warp resistant rotors. Would I pay more for them? Probably not.

DangerousDanR 07-03-22 08:22 PM

The IceTech rotor on the back of my tandem did warp. Replaced it with a vented Hope rotor which has been just fine.
The vented Hope rotors are thicker than most bike rotors and are interested for use with the V4 calipers..