Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Still searching for a comfortable wide cycling shoe (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1230080)

InvertedMP 05-09-21 07:55 AM

Still searching for a comfortable wide cycling shoe

So at the moment my Lake CX238s are pretty comfortable, but I have bought several cycling shoes that I wanted to like, wanted to work, and they just didn't. I have wide feet and high arches so insoles and a wide shoe is required. I have a bit of an obsession with cycling shoes (and bikes but that is another story) so I have bought several. At the moment, I have the 238s, Lake CX403, Bont Helix, and the latest model Shimano RC902s. I really wanted the Shimanos to work, and even in wide seem so freaking narrow, it almost blows my mind at the idea of how narrow their regular shoe is. I don't have super wide feet, just wide. I could never mold the 403s to fit my feet right unfortunately, and ironically, those are 42.5 and my feet feel more confined in there than my size 42 238s. The Boat Helix is ok, but honestly it isn't a very comfortable leisure riding shoes, and feels more like a no comfort race shoe.
I can live with thee Bont Helix but I do get hot spots on the outside of my feet even after molding. The search continues for the perfect shoe and insole combo. I have been fitted twice so it isn't a fitting issue.

Is there a premium wide cycling shoe that I haven't tried, that I should?

Trsnrtr 05-09-21 08:02 AM

I have exactly the same problem and even in roughly the same size. I've measured my foot using Lake's instructions and I'm wider by quite a bit than their widest shoe.

I usually buying the widest size the manufacturer makes and then upsize a little. The problem is that I end up with a sloppy heel and loose everywhere except the arch and the widest parts.

InvertedMP 05-09-21 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22051448)
I have exactly the same problem and even in roughly the same size. I've measured my foot using Lake's instructions and I'm wider by quite a bit than their widest shoe.

I usually buying the widest size the manufacturer makes and then upsize a little. The problem is that I end up with a sloppy heel and loose everywhere except the arch and the widest parts.

It is extremely frustrating, and expensive lol.

GrainBrain 05-09-21 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by InvertedMP (Post 22051452)
It is extremely frustrating, and expensive lol.

I bet, if you've gotten RC9's!! I dunno of anyone else but Lake for the wide fit. I used their fit chart and they do have options for me, I just haven't been able to stomach the price! I'm guessing my wide feet are narrower then yours - but have you considered a lace up and softer mesh top for more expansion? Right now I'm actually using an $80 pair of Giro lace ups. They're mesh on the top and let my feet splay out a bit. Not ideal, I've been thinking of getting a shoe in Giro's HV (high volume) size. Same heel width but wider mid arch and out towards the toe box.

sneakerfreaka 05-10-21 03:56 AM

Have you thought about trying full custom? Bont have that option (Lake too I think...), so do Rocket7 and Luck. There’s probably a few others and if you’re already spending big on higher end models, go the whole way and something perfectly moulded to your feet.

ridelikeaturtle 05-10-21 04:32 AM

Try something that's a full lace-up, you can then at least allow for as wide a spread as possible, more than what you can get from a ratchet-strap-style closure.

InvertedMP 05-10-21 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by sneakerfreaka (Post 22052629)
Have you thought about trying full custom? Bont have that option (Lake too I think...), so do Rocket7 and Luck. There’s probably a few others and if you’re already spending big on higher end models, go the whole way and something perfectly moulded to your feet.

I didn't know this was an option honestly. I will have to look into it.

MoAlpha 05-10-21 07:53 AM

Obviously, feets is all different, but I bought a slightly used pair of wide S-Works 7s off a guy earlier this season and they have been life-changing: by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever used. I still like my Lake CX238s, but I get nerve compression under my right foot much faster in them. Might all be a matter of insoles–I need to experiment.

InvertedMP 05-10-21 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22052840)
Obviously, feets is all different, but I bought a slightly used pair of wide S-Works 7s off a guy earlier this season and they have been life-changing: by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever used. I still like my Lake CX238s, but I get nerve compression under my right foot much faster in them. Might all be a matter of insoles–I need to experiment.

My first pair of cycling shoes were a 100 dollar pair of Specialized shoes and they were ok. I have been nervous about trying S works shoes as I hear they are narrow, but I have wanted to try them as they look fantastic and I love anything S Works.

eduskator 05-10-21 08:28 AM

Have you considered custom shoes? It will run you some $, but a shoes made to your feet would be beneficial IMO.

dbf73 05-10-21 08:43 AM

Sidis in the Mega (wide) version?

topflightpro 05-10-21 09:36 AM

Lake has the best wide offerings. But not all Lakes fit the same. You have to look at which last they are using. Some lasts are wider than others. The 402, for example, is narrower than the 238.

Bont's wides are not wide enough for me.

With Shimano, I did not like the wide options - they outsole was not wider, so the shoes did not feel stable.

Side Megas are supposed to be wide, but in my experience, they just give you the next size up. I don't need a longer shoe, just a wider one.

Specialized used to do wide options, and sometimes they were good, and sometimes they weren't.

Ultimately, I've gone to Riivo. It was worth the cost to go custom or semi-custom.

Trsnrtr 05-10-21 04:49 PM

I agree with everything posted above. Totally my experience, also.

colnago62 05-10-21 06:48 PM

A thought; It might not be a case of shoe fit. It could possibly be an issue with how your foot is oriented with the pedals. Hot feet and other foot related issues can be caused by the foot rocking back and forth in the show.

InvertedMP 05-10-21 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 22053922)
A thought; It might not be a case of shoe fit. It could possibly be an issue with how your foot is oriented with the pedals. Hot feet and other foot related issues can be caused by the foot rocking back and forth in the show.

Meaning, riding with a shoe too loose?

pennpaul 05-10-21 10:44 PM

Sidi Megas work for me.

InvertedMP 05-10-21 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by pennpaul (Post 22054188)
Sidi Megas work for me.

I’ve been considering those.

surak 05-10-21 11:19 PM

I don't have wide feet but the S-Works 7 is night and day different from their cheaper shoes. And they do make them in wide, even though Specialized's website isn't showing them right now. Backcountry/CC seem to have stock, as do some other places.

sneakerfreaka 05-10-21 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by InvertedMP (Post 22052828)
I didn't know this was an option honestly. I will have to look into it.

If you do go the custom route, please share your experiences, I too have to wear a wide fit shoe, mostly because my right foot protrudes out at the widest part of the foot. So far, the most comfortable shoe I've worn is the cheaper Shimano R171 in wide fit. They're over 5 years old now and well worn. I recently tried Sidi Mega (not wide at all), Northwave wide (better than Sidi but still had a cramped toe box) and most disappointingly, the new Shimano RC7 (701) in wide fit, their last is totally different from the R171, it has an extremely tight toe box for a 'wide fit'. In the end I bought a pair of Lake 301 wide, they'll do the job but I think I'll go full custom when they wear out.

topflightpro 05-11-21 07:45 AM

What do you want to know? I have three pairs of Riivos right now. Two were semi-custom - based off fit of various shoes and a custom molded insole and one is full custom.

JohnJ80 05-11-21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by pennpaul (Post 22054188)
Sidi Megas work for me.

This has worked extremely well for our family. But, as always, shoes are a personal thing and you have to try it.

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 22053034)
Side Megas are supposed to be wide, but in my experience, they just give you the next size up. I don't need a longer shoe, just a wider one.

Simply not true. In Sidi sizing the Mega is substantially wider and is not available in all shoes but only in select models.

From Sidi’s website on one of the mega sized shoes:

Available in a Mega last. 4mm wider across the ball of the foot, along with a higher instep and wider heel cup. For widths up to EEE
In the world of shoe sizing, 4mm is quite a bit. Adding in the higher instep is a bonus.

I think what you’re confusing is Sidi’s half sizes. For example, the 44 and the 44.5 use the same sole but the 44.5 upper is more generous and has more volume. Frequently those who find the whole size too tight can go to the half size up and have more volume for the same size sole. I believe they do this throughout their shoe line.

Trsnrtr 05-11-21 02:59 PM

I’ve had two pair of Sidi Megas in both a road config and a mtb model and they weren’t wide enough. I sold the road pair and kept the mtb pair which I drag out occasionally and then put back away. :(

InvertedMP 05-11-21 08:57 PM

I actually ordered a pair of Ergo 5 megas to try today lol.

colnago62 05-11-21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by InvertedMP (Post 22054155)
Meaning, riding with a shoe too loose?

https://blog.bikefit.com/why-wedge/

redcon1 05-12-21 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22055228)
I’ve had two pair of Sidi Megas in both a road config and mtb model and they weren’t wide enough. I sold the road pair and kept the mtb pair which I drag out occasionally and then put back away. :(

I have both a Mountain and Road pair of Sidi Mega, that fit comfortably with my EE width. Actually once broken in, they are almost too wide with thin socks.
Of course, if your feet are wider than the EEE spec, that's not going to work.

BITD, I purchased a shoe stretcher, mostly for my military footwear:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2aca6902b7.jpg
It worked wonders on Bike shoes that were not wide, as well as other footwear.