Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you carry a chain tool on your rides? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232854)

spelger 06-16-21 06:50 PM

no. and i never wished i had.

drlogik 06-16-21 08:01 PM

I carried a chain tool for many years but after about 20 years I looked back and never had any problems so I stopped carrying a chain tool. That was 20 years ago. I do keep a close eye on my chains and probably replace them too early. Chains are cheap in the scheme of things.

atwl77 06-16-21 08:48 PM

It's part of my multitool (Topeak Mini 20 Pro) so... I guess that's a yes.

momoman 06-16-21 08:49 PM

I didn't but fortunately one of my riding buddies had one when my chain link separated after I installed a new chain. I honestly don't remember if I had driven the pin out and re-installed the pin improperly or if the new chain separated due to defect. Regardless, I needed a chain tool and my buddy had one. Now I carry a Park tool in my saddle bags for my vintage bikes and I have a Specialized Top Cap Chain Tool for my modern bike. The Top Cap Chain Tool replaces the steerer top cap and only weighs 25g. Carrying the tool gives me peace of mind when I'm out riding solo.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd61478388.jpg
This replaces the top cap on modern bikes.

surak 06-16-21 09:20 PM

Another Topeak carrier here with one built-in, except mine is the Hexus II. Never had to use it on the road (although I could have once: I encountered a guy walking his e-bike in the middle of a multi-mile long bridge trail because of a busted chain, but I forgot to pack any quick links that day so couldn't bail him out) but have used the multitool plenty of times.

njkayaker 06-16-21 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22105334)
The one time I used one, I did not have one. Borrowed from a cross-country cyclist who happened to pass us on the North Cascades highway. At the end of the process it looked as if I had on elbow length black opera gloves - what a mess.

???

njkayaker 06-16-21 10:29 PM

My multitool has one. It's no extra effort to have it. I've used it 3 times (I think) for me and other riders.

MarcusT 06-16-21 10:39 PM

In the last 5 years I've used it twice. I don't care to disturb mom/wife/friend for a ride when I can repair it on the spot.
MTB, I end up in spots where a car pick up could be a very long walk away
I have the Topeak mini 20 pro

PeteHski 06-17-21 04:45 AM

My mini multi-tool has one, but only ever used it at home to shorten new chains.

Never had a chain fail during a ride, but I’ve seen it happen a couple of times when riding with groups - usually someone with an ancient badly maintained drivetrain.

But I do carry a spare reusable quick-link just in case.

JohnDThompson 06-17-21 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I carry a "Chain Pup" along, but I can only remember having used it once. But it's small and light and better than walking home.

rumrunn6 06-17-21 08:02 AM

yes & I try not to carry 3 of them, as I once discovered! eek! (dunno the brands, sorry)

but the irony is clear for me, when I have a chain problem, like breaking an old chain, I replace it, take better care of it & start carrying a chain tool, but then, never need it. but maybe there will come a time when the tool is useful for a reason other than breakage?

the only time I had a chain break was stupidly riding an old bike with an old (rusty) chain & at the end of a ride w/ my kids, I was showing off, trying to climb a stupid hill, w/ too much stress on the old links & pop! told them no worries I have a chain tool! was so excited to show them how they work, but then realized I did not have it with me! we walked back the 50 ft to the hotel we were staying at near the trail ...

BobbyG 06-17-21 08:24 AM

I carried a small one in my commute bag. Used it on the road twice in 28 years.

Phil_gretz 06-17-21 08:26 AM

While mountain biking or on an extended tour, yes, I carry a chain breaker plus quick link.

For everyday road riding, no, I do not.

The mountain bike has the highest likelihood that some foreign object will smash a derailleur or snap a chain. For a tourer, it's best to be able to crutch together some solution that gets you to the next town.

ksryder 06-17-21 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 22105171)
If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.

I do on my gravel bike, where the likelihood of breaking a chain and being 50 miles from my house in the middle of nowhere with dubious cell phone coverage is a little higher. There are several multi-tools that include chain breakers; I've used ones made by Lezyne and Serfas that do the job. I think Crank Brothers also makes a popular one but I haven't used it. Wolf Tooth makes a nifty little set of compact chain pliers that have been on my "I should buy that" list for a while which would be nice when you don't need to break the chain but you can't unlink the quicklink on the road. https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/pack-pliers

These all work fine for 8, 9, 10, 11 speed on the road.

cyccommute 06-17-21 09:55 AM

I do but, honestly, I’ve only used it a couple of times for other people’s problems. My daughter lost a jockey wheel bolt and we had to single speed the bike. That was many years ago, however. I’m sure as soon as I get rid of it, I’ll need it

Mine’s a Fix-It-Sticks model.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...71b62e7b7.jpeg

woodcraft 06-17-21 09:59 AM

I carry one & have used it to shorten chain to single-speed after catastrophic RD events.

Once on road in remote area, once 5+ miles out on fire road.

This one is good and compact, 'tho it weighs 76g.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Six-Pa...s%2C240&sr=8-8

seypat 06-17-21 10:40 AM

The multi tool I carry has one. Never used it for a chain. I ride vintage bikes and use hex head crank bolts instead of traditional crank bolts. I've used the multi tool a few times to tighten up crank bolts on the road. That's why I use the hex head bolts.

EviLDORK 06-17-21 10:41 AM

Those of us who carry chain tools seem to be the same people who maintain their chains enough not to need them.

aplcr0331 06-17-21 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 22105215)
Not really - three times in the last 30 years but one of those was because I'd incorrectly re-joined a Campag chain. I'm often out riding when my wife is at work so I can't call her to pick me up if the worst should happen. I'd just like to be self-sufficient and not relying on a multi-tool based chain tool. I carry an old 9-speed chain tool (stored in one of those bottle cage storage cases) on my commuter bike but would like something to tuck into a jersey pocket when out on my roadbike.

I get it. I'm able to call my wife or two of my sons who will come get me. I'm adverse to carrying a bunch of stuff on the bike anyway. I use Shimano chains and have never had one break, (knocks on wood). I just have a tube, tire lever, CO2 and inflator, and a pump that fit nicely in my back pocket.

I live near a State Park and ride the vast majority of my commute to and from work through that park. I've spotted Moose on at least 7-10 occasions...If I were to be prepared for "anything" I'd probably get some Bear Spray to carry with me. Pretty soon being prepared for ALL eventualities and I need a bike bag or bike bang or whatever the new cool thing to carry on your handlebars is. But my bike doesn't smoke weed so I don't need to carry half my house on every ride thankfully.

Park Tools will have what you need.

Kapusta 06-17-21 11:36 AM

I have a chain tool on my multitool.. Easily fits in a seat bag.

But if I needed to fit everything I carry into my pockets, I don’t think a chain tool would make the cut.

genejockey 06-17-21 11:46 AM

I used to carry one 25 years ago. I needed it one time. I mean, REALLY needed it! Rear derailleur cable broke, leaving me in the 12 tooth cog. This was before cell phones were something you carried along on rides. I was 8 miles from home, and any route I took to get home included at least one 5 minute, 6%+ climb, which I am pretty sure I'd have had a hell of a time doing in 39x12. Broke the chain, rewrapped it somewhere mid-cassette, skipping the derailleur, and rode home.

Lesson learned - replace your cables before you think you need to, because they're cheap and it's easier than having them break on a ride.

These days, I carry a cell phone instead of a ton of tools. I have a tube, levers, patches, and a multi-tool, but no chain breaker anymore.

MNebiker 06-17-21 12:56 PM

I've carried a small compact chain tool for 35+ years, but never used it except at home in my garage.

About 40 years ago my car broke down in the middle of nowhere at about 1 AM - a problem I could have fixed with just a Phillips screwdriver. Ever since I carry a basic tool kit in every car, and enough tools in my seat bag to insure that I won't have to walk home (And a phone and a $20 bill if all else fails.) The funny part is that I have never had a car or bike breakdown since - but the tools are still there.

genejockey 06-17-21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MNebiker (Post 22106376)
I've carried a small compact chain tool for 35+ years, but never used it except at home in my garage.

About 40 years ago my car broke down in the middle of nowhere at about 1 AM - a problem I could have fixed with just a Phillips screwdriver. Ever since I carry a basic tool kit in every car, and enough tools in my seat bag to insure that I won't have to walk home (And a phone and a $20 bill if all else fails.) The funny part is that I have never had a car or bike breakdown since - but the tools are still there.

The presence of tools could be preventing breakdowns. You can test this hypothesis by leaving them at home some time and seeing if your car or bike breaks down.....

Barry2 06-17-21 03:11 PM

My Topeak Ninja 16+ weighs in at only 92grams and has a chain tool on it.
I also have a spare quicklink and a pair of Latex Gloves.

I'd like to claim I keep my chain clean and don't need the gloves... but you understand!

Barry

And remember... AAA will come get a broken bicycle and rider. Yep, really!

aplcr0331 06-17-21 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by MNebiker (Post 22106376)

Whats the $20 for?