Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you carry a chain tool on your rides? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232854)

Welshboy 06-16-21 03:22 PM

Do you carry a chain tool on your rides?

If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.

aplcr0331 06-16-21 03:39 PM

I've never carried a chain tool on my rides. Are you experiencing problems with your chain coming undone or breaking?

I'm guessing there's a nifty Park Tool that will fit in a bag if needed.

I'd check Wiggle, I'm guessing they might have some good ones at a decent price.

Milton Keynes 06-16-21 03:40 PM

I do carry one on one of my bikes, just in case I break a chain. Never had to use it, though. I don't remember what brand it is.

freeranger 06-16-21 03:47 PM

I do. Not digging it out from the bottom of my bag, but it's a small Park one. Haven't used it for at least 17 years. But it did get used occasionally when I rode mostly mtn.bike trails-usually on someone else's bike (guess I kept my chain in better shape or just had better luck?). A chain tool and quick link can come in handy, if you're unlucky enough to have a chain break.

wolfchild 06-16-21 03:53 PM

I ride fixed gear and singlespeed bikes so I don't really worry too much about busting up a chain...But I still carry a small chain tool plus a few chain links because I like to be prepared for anything.

flangehead 06-16-21 03:58 PM

I carry multi tools that have chain tools plus quick links. Saved me twice in commuting context.

Rolla 06-16-21 03:59 PM

If a chain tool is on my multi-tool, then yes, I do. I've seen other people break a chain on a ride (mountain bikes), but I haven't yet.

Welshboy 06-16-21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by aplcr0331 (Post 22105182)
I've never carried a chain tool on my rides. Are you experiencing problems with your chain coming undone or breaking?

Not really - three times in the last 30 years but one of those was because I'd incorrectly re-joined a Campag chain. I'm often out riding when my wife is at work so I can't call her to pick me up if the worst should happen. I'd just like to be self-sufficient and not relying on a multi-tool based chain tool. I carry an old 9-speed chain tool (stored in one of those bottle cage storage cases) on my commuter bike but would like something to tuck into a jersey pocket when out on my roadbike.

70sSanO 06-16-21 04:15 PM

I carry a compact Park tool CT-5 in my mtb bag along with a quick link. I don’t carry one with me on my road bike.

Park makes a folding chain tool CT-6.3, but I have not used it.

John

Steve B. 06-16-21 04:34 PM

The Topeak Alien I have on all my bikes has one.

Koyote 06-16-21 04:36 PM

I have one in my multi-tool, though I have not yet ever needed it and hope to never need it. Still, I never go on a ride without it.

veloz 06-16-21 04:44 PM

Park IB-3 multi tool with chain breaker on remote rides or multi-day tours. In 45+ years of cycling, I’ve used a chain tool 3x on rides but never on my own bike. Little need to carry but adds assurance sometimes.

sw20 06-16-21 04:48 PM

I've got Topeak Ratchet Rocket which has one, but only ever carried the ratchet until a friends chain snapped mid ride! Now I carry the whole thing!

shelbyfv 06-16-21 04:54 PM

I carry Crank Bros multi tools that include a chain tool. Kind of heavy, there may be newer and lighter choices. Also spare quick links in 10 and 11. I've never broken a chain but I've used both the tool and links to get others back on the road.

BCDrums 06-16-21 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 22105171)
If so, what one? I'm interested in something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket that will work on 10-speed and 11-speed chains (both with a master link). I have workshop quality chain tools at home but would like a quality chain tool for day rides and general riding. Thanks in advance.

Riding a multispeed derailler bike since 1974, including a cross-country ride, I have never needed a chain tool. Some qualifiers:

—I ride on the road, not off-road
—I weigh less than 160lbs.
—I am a spinner, not a masher
—I have long ago switched to quick-connect links, and away from re-pinning.
—I don't carry tools to fix others' bikes (but I help if I can!)

If I were a heavy masher riding off-road on a re-pinned chain, I might think differently. I read lots of reports here of riders who bust a chain. So consider your circumstances before you add one more tool to your kit.

Iride01 06-16-21 05:10 PM

No.

KJ43 06-16-21 05:23 PM

I carry a multi tool with a chain breaker and a couple spare quick links. It's been a long time since I've had to do a chain fix on the road, but better to be prepared.

Troul 06-16-21 05:33 PM

i carried a jaw breaker for the times I would have the little guy rolling along. Helped keep them paying attention while riding! As long as I keep up on the maintenance, I forfeit that tool from the buttocks tool bag.

indyfabz 06-16-21 05:37 PM

No. Not even when I tour.

kahn 06-16-21 05:50 PM

The one time I used one, I did not have one. Borrowed from a cross-country cyclist who happened to pass us on the North Cascades highway. At the end of the process it looked as if I had on elbow length black opera gloves - what a mess.

rosefarts 06-16-21 05:51 PM

When I did the White Rim I took one. Just seemed like a long way from help. I’ll have one this weekend on a wilderness ride for the same reason.

I have one made by Specialized that goes into my steerer tube.

Joe Bikerider 06-16-21 05:55 PM

One of my “rules” is to carry along any tool that I used on my most recent repair or adjustment. After a couple rides then I can put that tool away. My chain tool has been put away now for many years. But I know where it is, just checked. I think my rule is a combination of witchcraft and insecurity. For example I just put away my hex key that I had used to adjust my new seat. Never needed it after that first day but it is light and it felt good to have it in my pocket. After a few weeks I put it away. The most important thing is to get out and ride.

zandoval 06-16-21 06:01 PM

I carry a small Park chain tool with two extra links. I do short solo back road rides mostly torn up asphalt and loose small gravel. I carry tools and a few spare parts just in case I get stuck. A chain break tool is about as fancy as I carry.

spelger 06-16-21 06:50 PM

no. and i never wished i had.

drlogik 06-16-21 08:01 PM

I carried a chain tool for many years but after about 20 years I looked back and never had any problems so I stopped carrying a chain tool. That was 20 years ago. I do keep a close eye on my chains and probably replace them too early. Chains are cheap in the scheme of things.

atwl77 06-16-21 08:48 PM

It's part of my multitool (Topeak Mini 20 Pro) so... I guess that's a yes.

momoman 06-16-21 08:49 PM

I didn't but fortunately one of my riding buddies had one when my chain link separated after I installed a new chain. I honestly don't remember if I had driven the pin out and re-installed the pin improperly or if the new chain separated due to defect. Regardless, I needed a chain tool and my buddy had one. Now I carry a Park tool in my saddle bags for my vintage bikes and I have a Specialized Top Cap Chain Tool for my modern bike. The Top Cap Chain Tool replaces the steerer top cap and only weighs 25g. Carrying the tool gives me peace of mind when I'm out riding solo.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd61478388.jpg
This replaces the top cap on modern bikes.

surak 06-16-21 09:20 PM

Another Topeak carrier here with one built-in, except mine is the Hexus II. Never had to use it on the road (although I could have once: I encountered a guy walking his e-bike in the middle of a multi-mile long bridge trail because of a busted chain, but I forgot to pack any quick links that day so couldn't bail him out) but have used the multitool plenty of times.