Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sad….Even Riding in a Bike Lane (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235241)

jppe 07-22-21 05:25 PM

Sad….Even Riding in a Bike Lane

It wasn’t an accident. It could have been avoided.

New York Jets assistant Greg Knapp dies from injuries in bicycle accident

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending...VM6VNAMDC234RA

Steve B. 07-22-21 06:47 PM

Theres zero info. in the link indicates he was in a bike lane or why this happened. Do you have other info. about this ?

big john 07-22-21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 22153732)
Theres zero info. in the link indicates he was in a bike lane or why this happened. Do you have other info. about this ?

• According to a statement from San Ramon police Lt. Tami Williams, officers responded to the area of Dougherty and North Monarch roads around 2:50 p.m. Saturday. The unidentified driver swerved into the bike lane when Knapp was struck, the coach’s agent, Jeff Sperbeck, told NBCNews.com.

DiabloScott 07-22-21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by jppe (Post 22153612)
It wasn’t an accident. It could have been avoided.

New York Jets assistant Greg Knapp dies from injuries in bicycle accident

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending...VM6VNAMDC234RA

Killed by a motor vehicle driver who swerved into the bike lane. Why do cars swerve?
Drunk or stoned
Distracted
Road hazard or avoiding something else
Bad driver
Medical issue
Mechanical issue
Premeditated murder

reports say drugs and alcohol not involved
Unidentified driver should be made public on arrest for vehicular manslaughter.

John E 07-22-21 10:00 PM

There is far too much of this going on. We need greater accountability for errant motorists.

canklecat 07-22-21 11:35 PM

One thing we can do is to stop referring to these as "accidents" and call them what they are: negligence by motor vehicle operators.

And demand that the news media and law enforcement do the same. Or, at a minimum, use specific wording when a driver collides with a cyclist, rather than implying nobody was at fault. And stop implying victim blaming by including the obligatory comment about whether the cyclist was wearing a helmet.

Until the US changes the paradigm, nothing else will change. It's getting worse, and we haven't seen the worst of it yet.

Hermes 07-23-21 08:00 AM

Moved from 50+ to A&S

Milton Keynes 07-23-21 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 22153930)
Killed by a motor vehicle driver who swerved into the bike lane. Why do cars swerve?
Drunk or stoned
Distracted
Road hazard or avoiding something else
Bad driver
Medical issue
Mechanical issue
Premeditated murder

Too busy watching cat videos on their phone.

himespau 07-23-21 08:37 AM

Yeah, the word "accident" in the article I read pissed me off. After being hit 2 months ago, I've made sure to never use that word.

Iride01 07-23-21 08:53 AM

I heard the driver was texting or doing other social media stuff on their phone. But I doubt our legislators will ever do any meaningful legislation. They too use their phones constantly while driving at 15 mph over the interstate speed limit while trying to get to a state congressional session from their homes that are in distant places from the state capitol.

Highway Patrol will let you slide for 10 to 15 mph because they catch heck and get sent to undesirable patrol districts when they pull over a state representative.

Rick 07-23-21 08:56 AM

The area to the right of the normal traffic lane is the most dangerous part of the road in the USA. The first place the motorist goes to sneak around traffic or avoid the police is going to be the right side of the road.

Steve B. 07-23-21 09:15 AM

Part of the problem is the mind set among LEO's to not treat these types of negligent murders as such. They do a brake check and the murderer goes free. It's failure to exercise due caution and failure to yield right of way at minimum, yet cops NEVER charge a motorists as such. Theres as well a lack of state laws that would require the police to cite and to get a prosecution for negligent driving. I see all the time motorcyclists killed when a car makes left turn across there path, and the cops never charge the car driver.

LarrySellerz 07-23-21 09:37 AM

Technology is making things worse. Everyone is on their phones, electric cars are too quiet. Self driving cars won't know how to deal with us.

Joe Bikerider 07-23-21 12:08 PM

This story is all over the local news. But mostly because the victim was associated with the 49ers. In my original post I used the term accident after thinking about it for a while. I still haven’t read much about what caused this. I did see a few seconds on the morning TV news of that location. There seemed to be a bike lane but no context. I personally think that flattening out ranch land for housing and installing high speed roads is a perfect recipe for killing cyclists. That’s why I haven’t ridden in that area for at least 30 years. Used to be very nice. As an example Sycamore Valley road has now had all the Sycamore trees cut down and is an 8 lane expressway. Don’t even like driving in that area.

Rick 07-23-21 12:49 PM

Hit the A&S Trifecta! Congratulations!
Not to mention you cell phone lobbyist types.

Juan Foote 07-23-21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 22153930)
Premeditated murder

If you ever had in mind to murder someone, and they are a cyclist...really all you have to do after that is come up with a good reason why you happened to be going down that road at the time you "accidentally" struck that poor cyclist....little bit of boo hoo act perhaps. Never get charged with anything meaningful as compared to the life lost.

I-Like-To-Bike 07-23-21 01:58 PM

Paranoia strikes deep in A&S. Suggest that those so affected find an activity that doesn't provoke so much fear and terror within.

Daniel4 07-23-21 06:44 PM

^^^
Right on queue.

From the USELESS Forum thread:

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22141280)
..., and the posts... always by the same 20 or so people who know each other's lines so well that they could probably write them for each other...

Rick 07-23-21 06:47 PM

Paranoia strikes deep in A&S. Suggest that those so affected find an activity that doesn't provoke so much fear and terror within.
Not paranoia teenage driver was texting. This is murder not an accident. The driver decided to use the phone instead of paying attention. People discuss me with there electronic habits.

JoeyBike 07-23-21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 22153934)
There is far too much of this going on. We need greater accountability for errant motorists.

The dead cyclist won't care. He dead. Nobody forced him to play in traffic.

When we ride our bikes we accept the risks involved. Well. Some of us.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...083ddf5da0.jpg
No one is making you do it.

John E 07-24-21 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 22155338)
The dead cyclist won't care. He dead. Nobody forced him to play in traffic.

When we ride our bikes we accept the risks involved. Well. Some of us.

No one is making you do it.

So you do not think motorists should be held accountable when they drive drunk, drugged, stoned, distracted, or otherwise recklessly?

I-Like-To-Bike 07-24-21 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyBike (Post 22155338)

No need to Worry. SHARKS DON'T TEXT!

homeless in ca. 07-24-21 12:13 PM

The teenage driver of the vehicle was reportedly texting at the time of the accident, CBS2’s Otis Livingston reported Thursday.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/07...in-california/

canklecat 07-24-21 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 22155537)
So you do not think motorists should be held accountable when they drive drunk, drugged, stoned, distracted, or otherwise recklessly?

JoeyBike seems to have conveniently forgotten his own history of morphing from a daring urban cyclist around New Orleans, occasionally posting amusing videos gently trolling tri-bike cyclists, into yet another pragmatist who swore off riding in New Orleans because of all the reckless, negligent and hostile drivers.

But Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I-Like-To-Bike 07-25-21 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by homeless in ca. (Post 22155942)
The teenage driver of the vehicle was reportedly texting at the time of the accident, CBS2’s Otis Livingston reported Thursday.

The CBS2 reporter never referred to any source about the "reported" texting. Perhaps he read about the driver's actions on A&S where that same factoid was "reported" without any basis on this thread.
Could be true, then again maybe not, as could be any speculation about the cause of this tragedy. I suggest waiting for a credible "report" that is based on more than "somebody said something."
English Language Learners Definition of reportedly:
"according to what has been said"