Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Seller refuses to open box (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1201705)

countalmaviva 05-17-20 12:29 PM

Seller refuses to open box

Folks,

I'm hoping some of you with more vintage experience than I have can share some perspective here. I'm interested in this eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153935006219?

I requested that the seller post a photo of the levers, and they have refused. Am I out of line for requesting a photo of the actual object? Does opening the box devalue the item? In the end, I realize it's their auction to do as they please...

Thanks,
Oliver H.

merziac 05-17-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by countalmaviva (Post 21480363)
Folks,

I'm hoping some of you with more vintage experience than I have can share some perspective here. I'm interested in this eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153935006219?

I requested that the seller post a photo of the levers, and they have refused. Am I out of line for requesting a photo of the actual object? Does opening the box devalue the item? In the end, I realize it's their auction to do as they please...

Thanks,
Oliver H.

That is an auction by a member here, $20, not a big leap, efbay has your back. If you want them, buy them, seller is a standup guy. ;)

noobinsf 05-17-20 12:39 PM

100% feedback - if I wanted them, I would not press to have the box opened. 263 items seems enough to be trustworthy.

Also, no, I don’t think you’re out of line for requesting a pic, but again, I wouldn’t press now that the seller has refused. You have the freedom to walk away from a sale that does not meet your criteria.

FatRap64 05-17-20 12:44 PM

Yep, with perfect feedback on that many transactions, I'd have a lot of confidence no matter what the item was and wouldn't be worried in the slightest over a $20 purchase. Pull the trigger!

SpeedofLite 05-17-20 12:44 PM

I don't think it would devalue the item.
And I think the seller should have a photo of the item and not just its box, especially since this person is an experienced seller on eBay
In past years, I would have ignored this and trusted the Seller's Feedback score and years on eBay.
Not anymore based on recent experience.
Now I want to see a real photo of exactly what they are selling.
Not a box, not a marketing photo, not any representation of the real deal.

merziac 05-17-20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite (Post 21480397)
I don't think it would devalue the item.
And I think the seller should have a photo of the item and not just its box, especially since this person is an experienced seller on eBay
In past years, I would have ignored this and trusted the Seller's Feedback score and years on eBay.
Not anymore based on recent experience.
Now I want to see a real photo of exactly what they are selling.
Not a box, not a marketing photo, not any representation of the real deal.

That auction as I stated above is from a very well respected member here, no brainer, buy it.

Cycologist 05-17-20 01:03 PM

I agree with the seller. It's advertised as new in a sealed box.

If he opens it I'll ask him to please count all items inside. How do I know it's not missing a screw?
What a pain in the Ass for 20 bucks.

polymorphself 05-17-20 01:16 PM

Being able to advertise it as unopened matters.
You have eBay support and it is (so far) not a high priced item.
Seller has hundreds of transactions with perfect feedback.
Has been stated that it's a respected seller from this forum, although the above info alone would've been enough for me.

Place your bid.

TenGrainBread 05-17-20 01:17 PM

The seller is a not only a very well-respected member here, but also a pretty legendary framebuilder in the American bike scene. Between his reputation and the fact that eBay would surely step in on your behalf if the box does not contain the levers advertised, there's pretty much no reason to demand the box be opened.

While these levers aren't particularly valuable or collectible, demanding that the seller open the box does ruin any future possibility of him listing them as NIB/NOS.

repechage 05-17-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by hazetguy (Post 21480508)
what is the seller's real name?

Frank The Welder | Frank Wadelton ? Bicycle Fabrication

cb400bill 05-17-20 01:57 PM

Frank the Welder

noglider 05-17-20 02:02 PM

Normally, I would walk from the sale. But I've talked with FTW and done business with him. You can definitely trust him.

jdawginsc 05-17-20 02:16 PM

Just some logic...
1. It could just be an empty box.
2. It could be with the item, opened to show the item, photographed for you, and then sent as an empty box.
3. It could be exactly what the seller is suggesting it is, and sent in an unopened state.

In any single transaction we have with ebay/here, the items sent could be not the items bought. You have to take a leap of faith at some level for any purchase.

rccardr 05-17-20 02:25 PM

I’m with Hazet on this one. Sealed box and advertised as such.
If there’s anything wrong with it once it arrives, eBay/PayPal will ensure that you get your money back.

And hey, come on...it’s Frank!

tyrion 05-17-20 02:28 PM

Opening the box could lower the value. The item description goes from "New in box" to "Like new in box".

I wouldn't blame the seller for refusing to open the box.

SpeedofLite 05-17-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by merziac (Post 21480410)
That auction as I stated above is from a very well respected member here, no brainer, buy it.

Thanks. Yours and a couple of other posts weren't visible to me at the time I was typing my response, so I didn't see your post before sending mine.
Of course, knowing the seller is a well respected BF member would make me feel easier about it.

countalmaviva 05-17-20 02:45 PM

No insult intended!

This is a great discussion, and I'm seeing some various viewpoints, not all of which line up with mine. I don't have nearly as much experience on eBay as the seller, but I suppose I was assuming that, since it is an auction, not a "Buy it now," a photo of the item would drive up the price, conferring an advantage.

Yeah, this is probably more haggling over a $20 item (opening bid, mind you) than it's worth, but I think the exploration of selling choices is worthwhile.

AND, please let me state clearly that I did not intend any insult to the seller!!! I'm aware that Frank the Welder is a well-respected member of the Bike Forum. In fact, I have found his posts very helpful!

Cheers,
Oliver H.

SurferRosa 05-17-20 03:26 PM

https://alphabetbands.files.wordpres...in-the-box.jpg

countalmaviva 05-17-20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 21480744)

Yeah, I was also thinking this:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c08cf8de36.png

countalmaviva 05-17-20 03:53 PM

I also wanted to add that, in this particular case, I'm aware that this lever came in a few different colors. Some dipped in rubber and some not. I can't tell from the outside of the box what this particular lever looks like. I may be a very particular case: I'm trying to find the levers I used as a kid, for sentimental purposes. If it's the wrong color, I'm not sure that would be returnable, especially since I'd already have opened the sealed box...

- Oliver H.

P!N20 05-17-20 05:20 PM

Schrödinger

Nemosengineer 05-17-20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by P!N20 (Post 21480925)
Schrödinger

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cfaf163e3e.jpg

ramzilla 05-17-20 06:19 PM

I don't like the "two finger" description that I'm seeing all over. Exactly how long are the brake levers? If they're "two finger" I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. If you've either got long downhills or, if you've got arthritic hands you sure don't want "two finger" brake levers. You want "full hand" brake levers my friend. That's it. That's all. Done deal. Be good. Have fun.

clubman 05-17-20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by countalmaviva (Post 21480653)
I think the exploration of selling choices is worthwhile.

I think otherwise. Frank has made the choice of selling a sealed item that he won't open. You have the choice of bidding or not. You can't tell him he has to open it but you can return it if the box doesn't contain the described item. You don't have the right to change the terms of the offer.

zukahn1 05-17-20 07:41 PM

Since Ebay has changed there return policy on items like this to full refund basically same day you ship it back. I would say buy them I doubt there is any issue with these levers and the seller is good and the price is great. My only real question is are these the type model lever want these are heavy longer levers intended for older heavy type dia-compe canti front U-Brake rear brakes that came on late 80's MTB's.
s