Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 11-10-21 04:37 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22303108)
I wonder whether results would be different with a smooth ramp test instead of stepped - assuming Erg Mode, of course. I can keep pushing to hit the 340W/360W gate, which keeps my output high and makes sure I complete the minute at 340W. But on the other hand once I pass that gate I feel like it's okay to quit. Hmmm. Maybe time for another ramp test......

I'm also not sure of the best warmup for me, before doing a ramp test. I remember a time I tried to beat my PR on a 5 mile segment of my usual ride. I started riding at the beginning of the 5 miles, no warmup, figuring I'd gradually increase effort. About 100 yard shy of the 5 mile mark, my HR had risen to 164 and I felt distinctly unwell. Not just burning legs/burning lungs, but generally sick, so I backed off and missed the PR by a few seconds. Later in the ride I had no problem pushing my HR up to 170, with no 'unwell' feeling at all. When I've done ramp tests, I've gotten that 'unwell' feeling at the end in varying degrees, but the worst was when I did it with no warmup - Zwift's version has a 5 minute free ride before starting the ramp at 100W, and I did just a gentle spin all in Z1.

SO, I'm wondering whether I need to do an extended warmup that pushes my HR past where it will get to in the test? But then will I have burned matches I'll need during the test?

Maybe warm-up differs based on the protocol, but for standard FTP tests, I thought that the recommendation always included some mild z2-ish-type stuff in addition to at least one short-ish (a minute or two) supra-threshold effort to get things firing.

genejockey 11-10-21 05:16 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22303132)
Maybe warm-up differs based on the protocol, but for standard FTP tests, I thought that the recommendation always included some mild z2-ish-type stuff in addition to at least one short-ish (a minute or two) supra-threshold effort to get things firing.

Zwift has 4 FTP tests - two where you do a 20 minute effort, and two ramp style. The ramp ones have a 5 or 8 minute free rid for warming up, while the 20 minute ones have a fairly complex warmup with some hard-ish efforts, with the longer of the two being really complex.

abshipp 11-10-21 05:19 PM

I rode outside today.

Took 20 seconds off of my fastest Paris time, with an average power 2w less than my second fastest time :foo:

​​​​​​Oh, and regarding all the Zwift talk...it was 77į at the start of my ride :innocent:

big john 11-10-21 05:22 PM

I had a nice pizza ride today, had a slice with sausage, pepperoni, and Gorgonzola. Luckily there isn't much climbing on the way back.
Friend said he is experiencing burn out in a big way and might not do the longer, hammerhead group rides for a while. He'll still end the year with over 14K miles and over 800K feet of climbing but he was on pace for 15K and 950K!

MoAlpha 11-10-21 05:39 PM

Went out for a casual ride on this lovely afternoon and encountered two men I know. They said they were out for some hills and were going to take them easy. One of them I can keep up with, so I went along for the hell of it. Needless to say, it turned into sheer madness, but I held my own and set some PRs. Now I wish my gut would come out of post-heavy workout shutdown so I can eat dinner.

genejockey 11-10-21 05:41 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22303176)
I rode outside today.

Took 20 seconds off of my fastest Paris time, with an average power 2w less than my second fastest time :foo:

​​​​​​Oh, and regarding all the Zwift talk...it was 77į at the start of my ride :innocent:

Nice! But I'm not hiding from the weather. I'm hiding from the dark.

genejockey 11-10-21 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22303182)
I had a nice pizza ride today, had a slice with sausage, pepperoni, and Gorgonzola. Luckily there isn't much climbing on the way back.
Friend said he is experiencing burn out in a big way and might not do the longer, hammerhead group rides for a while. He'll still end the year with over 14K miles and over 800K feet of climbing but he was on pace for 15K and 950K!

Hence, burnout.

genejockey 11-10-21 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22303207)
Nice! But I'm not hiding from the weather. I'm hiding from the dark.

This is the frustration of the short days - the weather is actually pretty nice for riding here, when it's not raining. We lose the afternoon winds, but it doesn't get really cold. It's just that job thing.

WhyFi 11-10-21 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22303207)
Nice! But I'm not hiding from the weather. I'm hiding from the dark.

I took the car out yesterday morning and, when I got home, I left it out, instead of parking it in the garage - it was sunny and we had an evening appointment, so I figured it'd be nice and warm later. I realized my mistake when, walking out of the house at 5:15, it was dark. :notamused:

Velo Vol 11-10-21 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22303000)
Hop on the Madone. If you're a serious cyclist, you can be there by the time I land.

I could go to the central division, but you still wouldn't see scenery available exclusively in the eastern division (plus proper time!)

big john 11-10-21 06:20 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22303208)
Hence, burnout.

Yeah. I think he did 14K miles last year after breaking his hip in December of 2019. A guy on BF did a million feet of climbing one year. I met him and saw him on a couple organized rides. He was fast, no doubt. He decided to try for 2 million and gave it up after a month or 2. Said it was like working, just took all the fun out of riding.

indyfabz 11-10-21 07:13 PM

Today is the 46th anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I rode to work then to an eye appointment then to the Reading Terminal Market then home to cook chicken breasts and zucchini with sweet onion.

bampilot06 11-10-21 07:31 PM

So the head set knocking on zwift really was bothering me. I would tighten it and it seemed to help then go right back to knocking.

I pulled the fork and hold dirt batman. It was pretty gross. I donít think iíve cleaned it once since I got the bike. I donít have any grease so I didnít do a complete wipe down. Put it back together so far it passes the shake test hopefully that will fix it.

Velo Vol 11-10-21 07:35 PM

The 2022 KCB schedule is out and one of the concerts is on my birthday. :bday:

Mojo31 11-10-21 07:47 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22303241)
I could go to the central division, but you still wouldn't see scenery available exclusively in the eastern division (plus proper time!)

All's not lost though. The hotel has a whiskey bar, and I just ordered an Angel's Envy rye Old Fashioned.

Mojo31 11-10-21 07:50 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22303324)
All's not lost though. The hotel has a whiskey bar, and I just ordered an Angel's Envy rye Old Fashioned.

Not a proper cherry though. 😔

For $26 I expect better.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e7787a00bd.jpg

Velo Vol 11-10-21 08:32 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22303324)
All's not lost though. The hotel has a whiskey bar, and I just ordered an Angel's Envy rye Old Fashioned.

Since you came all that way you should have seen something there.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c5e61c30ee.png

Mojo31 11-10-21 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22303360)
Since you came all that way you should have seen something there.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c5e61c30ee.png

That would have been fun. Don't have time to extend this trip. Two big federal trials in Dec and Jan. Time is tight right now.

bampilot06 11-10-21 08:43 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22303326)
Not a proper cherry though. 😔

For $26 I expect better.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e7787a00bd.jpg

how long you gone for?

Sorry we havnt been able to meet up yet. The schedule is brutal and I had a test on tuesday I had to prepare for.

LesterOfPuppets 11-10-21 08:51 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22303326)
Not a proper cherry though. 😔

For $26 I expect better.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e7787a00bd.jpg

Still looks delicious with the sub par cherry

Mojo31 11-10-21 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22303363)
how long you gone for?

Sorry we havnt been able to meet up yet. The schedule is brutal and I had a test on tuesday I had to prepare for.

No worries.

Heading back tomorrow. Just a quick trip.

Thought maybe you were flying my plane. Very bumpy and rough landing. Rookie style. 😉

Mojo31 11-10-21 09:01 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22303368)
Still looks delicious with the sub par cherry

It was.

bampilot06 11-10-21 09:02 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22303372)
No worries.

Heading back tomorrow. Just a quick trip.

Thought maybe you were flying my plane. Very bumpy and rough landing. Rookie style. 😉


Somebody has to keep the chiropractorís in business.

LesterOfPuppets 11-10-21 09:06 PM

A lotta pokey things on the trail today.

While my rear tyre gently weeps....


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...59a0175a1b.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 11-10-21 09:07 PM

^^^. Also map of the day. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.