Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

Mojo31 02-14-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22409446)
Incel take.

Of course, you couldn't pay me to watch a SB half time show.

If I laid $1 million on your table, you'd give up that 30 minutes of your life. Even if there was a quiz at the end.

rjones28 02-14-22 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22409428)
Some idiot pundit said the show was "sexual anarchy" and shouldn't be allowed on television. This from a guy who is only 28. I wonder if these dufuses just say the most extreme things they can think of just to get attention.

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22409424)
The only halftime that would make everyone happy would be to have Knoxville Community Band perform.

Prolly

WhyFi 02-14-22 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409444)
I mentioned last week that I had signed up for the free trial of Wahoo's SYSTM training app, because I was curious about their whole '4DP' approach which makes more sense to me than using just FTP. So I thought I might do the Full Frontal test. I watched some videos about it this weekend. Now I'm not so sure. The recommendation to have a "Sick Bucket" handy is more than a little off-putting. Plus, you know, I'm 64 years old, fer chrissakes. When professional athletes say, "It's the hardest thing I've ever done! I'll never, ever do it again!", it does make it seem kind of ... dangerous? More than that, though, is the realization that, since I've never even TRIED to do a 5 minute all-out effort, let alone that, then a 20 minute all-out effort after that, and a 1 minute all-out effort after THAT, perhaps I should consider walking before I try to fly.*

BUT one thing I saw is that SYSTM has a warmup workout that's supposed to rev you up for the test. I'm thinking maybe I'll do that warmup and then the Half Monty again.

My other observation is about YouTube, and it's that no matter the subject, YouTube lives up to Sturgeon's Law, that "90% of everything is crap." I see SO MANY poorly done, unengaging videos, on every subject I look into. 20 minutes of talking to a camera about a SPORT, without any video of what you're talking about? Why would ANYONE think that's good videography?

*I also would observe that chickening out is also the sort of thing that says something about one's motivation and personality.

The Full Frontal is certainly in the conversation of the most difficult trainer rides that I've ever done. That said, I think that it was really worthwhile as a baseline and I'd definitely do it again if I were to re-up with Sufferfest/System.

datlas 02-14-22 01:15 PM

double LPLO....wut

datlas 02-14-22 01:16 PM

That's weird. Previous page shows that there are TWO pages I was locked out of. But really there is only one, along with apparently a "phantom" page.

indyfabz 02-14-22 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409349)
Mine too. Apparently the hospital took newborn pics back in 1965 in B&W. I think my folks still have that pic.

I am on may parents' dining room table. Family doctor made a house call to examine me a day or two after I was brought home. I have an 8"x10" print of it at home that I know I scanned. Just have to find it.

We saw Dr. Whitney for many years. He had a practice in an office below his house on Walnut around 58th.

BillyD 02-14-22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22409140)
Consider yourself lucky. For me, it was acts like RUN-DMC, which I saw live during my college years.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409171)
I will admit to being quite old and/or outta touch. The last Rap song I really liked was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjeWGQ175g

The real good old days.

Trsnrtr 02-14-22 01:21 PM

Did a FulGaz ride this morning in Virginia and one of the club riders in the video was riding my bike:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...978848ab9.jpeg

big john 02-14-22 01:25 PM

Incel take.

I always watch them. Memorable shows include Prince arriving at the last minute and performing in the driving rain (no, it wasn't purple) and seeming to enjoy himself.

genejockey 02-14-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409465)
The Full Frontal is certainly in the conversation of the most difficult trainer rides that I've ever done. That said, I think that it was really worthwhile as a baseline and I'd definitely do it again if I were to re-up with Sufferfest/System.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm undecided on that, because I'm not sure what my goals are in cycling. I want to be able to faster for longer, and climb better, but that's pretty vague. I'm not going to race IRL, and outside of a few crits and even fewer longer races, I'm not looking to become an eSports champion. I have largely accepted that among serious cyclists I am somewhere below mediocre.

I do think structured workouts, and more structured training is probably more beneficial than just more "Modified Merckx". I just need a better understanding of which ones will most benefit my weaknesses.

BillyD 02-14-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22409275)
A friend of mine used to say that if your baby pictures are in color, you canít claim to be old. :)

Thatís a good one. Iíve got teenage pictures in B&W too. :roflmao2:

WhyFi 02-14-22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409448)
I think the aero frame and wheels might make a difference in the sprint in a crit, as well as when attacking for strategic/psychological reasons, but yeah - it shouldn't make much difference in a bunch. It's almost talismanic, though, for me. I choose a different bike for different rides, even though I'm not really paying attention to time or setting PRs, just because I can.

Again - it's relative. I'm sure that one could do the math on the savings when sticking your nose in the wind for 15-60 seconds (it looks like the gap between the Buffalo bike [worst] and SWorks Venge [best] would be about 30sec for an hour on the flats) - my take is that it wouldn't matter 99 times out of a 100, but it would be worth it for that 1 time, specially since you're buying it with free money, anyway. But yeah, I feel ya on the suiting up aspect.

genejockey 02-14-22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22409476)
I am on may parents' dining room table. Family doctor made a house call to examine me a day or two after I was brought home. I have an 8"x10" print of it at home that I know I scanned. Just have to find it.

We saw Dr. Whitney for many years. He had a practice in an office below his house on Walnut around 58th.

I am the last of 6 children. There are TONS of pictures of my oldest brother, and fewer of each of the following siblings, till you get to the sister who's just ahead of me, because after 4 kids in 5 years, there was a 6 year lull in the action before she was born, so they took lots of pics of her. Me? I have to search through the Picture Box (my family was never big on putting pictures in albums) to find any of myself as a ute.

We ended up doing something similar with The Boys. The Older Boy, my wife actually recorded HOURS of video of him doing the most mundane baby things. The Younger Boy - almost no video. But tons of pics.

WhyFi 02-14-22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409488)
Yeah, that's the thing. I'm undecided on that, because I'm not sure what my goals are in cycling. I want to be able to faster for longer, and climb better, but that's pretty vague. I'm not going to race IRL, and outside of a few crits and even fewer longer races, I'm not looking to become and eSports champion. I have largely accepted that among serious cyclists I am somewhere below mediocre.

I do think structured workouts, and more structured training is probably more beneficial than just more "Modified Merckx". I just need a better understanding of which ones will most benefit my weaknesses.

Yeah, and there's the question of whether you want to concentrate on shoring up your weaknesses or whether you want to bolster your strengths. So many ways to skin a cat ride a bike.

big john 02-14-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22409461)
If I laid $1 million on your table, you'd give up that 30 minutes of your life. Even if there was a quiz at the end.

It was only 14 minutes.

genejockey 02-14-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409499)
Yeah, and there's the question of whether you want to concentrate on shoring up your weaknesses or whether you want to bolster your strengths. So many ways to skin a cat ride a bike.

And that's the great thing! I was listening to something on the radio today about personality, including intro- vs extroversion, and I thought about how great it is that I can do my solitary rides to my heart's content and not mind riding alone, while more sociable folks, can do group rides, and we're all having a blast in our own ways. Similarly, you can be a racer and constantly competing against others, or you can just compete against yourself, or you can go out for a dawdle when the wildflowers are blooming just for grins.

genejockey 02-14-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22409461)

It's not so much that they COULDN'T pay you to watch. I imagine it's more that nobody WOULD pay you to watch. I know I'd take the million and sit in rapt attention the whole time. But nobody is offering.

WhyFi 02-14-22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409507)
And that's the great thing! I was listening to something on the radio today about personality, including intro- vs extroversion, and I thought about how great it is that I can do my solitary rides to my heart's content and not mind riding alone, while more sociable folks, can do group rides, and we're all having a blast in our own ways. Similarly, you can be a racer and constantly competing against others, or you can just compete against yourself, or you can go out for a dawdle when the wildflowers are blooming just for grins.

Yup. And you can change your mind any time you want. In 2020, I was all about solo long distance. In 2021, I really wanted to bury my teammates in the sprints.

indyfabz 02-14-22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409171)
I will admit to being quite old and/or outta touch. The last Rap song I really liked was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjeWGQ175g

Considered my many to be the one of the best rap songs ever.

"Stabbed that man right in his heart...."

Several years ago, the group member know as Kidd Creole (the short guy in the photo, real name Nathaniel Glover) was charged with murder after he stabbed a homeless man to death during an altercation. Glover is not to be confused with August Darnell, front man of Kid Creole & the Coconuts.

genejockey 02-14-22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409514)
Yup. And you can change your mind any time you want. In 2020, I was all about solo long distance. In 2021, I really wanted to bury my teammates in the sprints.

I have noticed that years of riding on my own have made me a lousy ride leader for group rides, though. Half the time I look around and they're 100 yards behind, and the other half they're right on my wheel. Let's just say I don't tend to set a stable pace.

WhyFi 02-14-22 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22409517)
I have noticed that years of riding on my own have made me a lousy ride leader for group rides, though. Half the time I look around and they're 100 yards behind, and the other half they're right on my wheel. Let's just say I don't tend to set a stable pace.

Oh, 'been there. I've had to do quite a bit of apologizing when joining group rides after thousands of miles of solo riding. Sometimes it's pace, sometimes it's line, sometimes it's neglecting to call out a hazard, etc.

datlas 02-14-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22409515)
Considered my many to be the one of the best rap songs ever.

"Stabbed that man right in his heart...."

Several years ago, the group member know as Kidd Creole (the short guy in the photo, real name Nathaniel Glover) was charged with murder after he stabbed a homeless man to death during an altercation. Glover is not to be confused with August Darnell, front man of Kid Creole & the Coconuts.

I recall seeing Kid Creole and the Coconuts on SNL in high school, maybe 1980?? :50:

genejockey 02-14-22 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409520)
Oh, 'been there. I've had to do quite a bit of apologizing when joining group rides after thousands of miles of solo riding. Sometimes it's pace, sometimes it's line, sometimes it's neglecting to call out a hazard, etc.

Since I am a pothole and rock magnet, the best thing for anyone following me is to ride a line 6" or so to either side of mine. Seriously! Yesterday, TWICE I was just riding along and *WHAM!* I hit the only pothole on that stretch of road. I was surprised I didn't flat.

genejockey 02-14-22 02:01 PM

Better than 5/6. WAY better than 6/6.
Wordle 240 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟨
🟩⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

indyfabz 02-14-22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22409532)
I recall seeing Kid Creole and the Coconuts on SNL in high school, maybe 1980?? :50:

Classic 80s look.

WhyFi 02-14-22 02:15 PM

Just had to yell at some lady parking in my driveway, in front of my garage.

"I just have to drop something off."
"Good for you. There's parking right there, and there, and there."

There are parking spaces less than 20 yards away, and she's gotta park in my driveway and block my garage? WTF is wrong with people?

datlas 02-14-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22409546)

Why can't you be like Endicott??

MoAlpha 02-14-22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22409520)

The most—the only—squirrely and dangerous rider in our group has ridden as a pro. I saw him go down hard once, when he caught is tire the gap between the blacktop and the concrete curb of the island in a little traffic circle.

LowCel 02-14-22 03:02 PM

:troll: Howdy all! :troll:

Eric F 02-14-22 03:06 PM

I feel good about that one

Wordle 240 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
⬛🟨🟩🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩