Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What happened to Girvin/Pro-Flex? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=103362)

robo 04-30-05 09:26 AM

What happened to Girvin/Pro-Flex?

I've been out of the bike loop for about 7 years (basically, while i was doing my Bachelors and Masters degrees). Originally from Vancouver, now living in New York. Anyway, i'm finally getting back into biking. I remember back in the day, i lusted after a Pro-Flex ride, or maybe just a Girvin Vector fork to put onto my StumpJumper.

I did a google this morning, and Pro-Flex and Girvin seem to have vanished.. Did they go bankrupt? I really liked the design and thinking behind the linkage Girvin Vector fork..

Thanks if anyone knows!!

:)

-robin

Dannihilator 04-30-05 09:33 AM

Pro-Flex and Girvin couldn't keep up with the industry and tanked.

robo 04-30-05 09:39 AM

How do you mean couldn't keep up? Pricing? Suspension tech?

Going into a bike shop for the first time in 7 years, it's amazing how mountain bikes have changed. Back in the mid 90's, a high end mountain bike was an elegant looking thing, hardtail usually, with an ultralight frame, svelte looking parts, and a 2.7" travel fork. Now, high end mountain bikes look like motocross bikes! They are built like tanks.. are those 4" tires on there? :p

It's going to take some getting used to. My old Tange Prestige Stumpjumper with the Softride stem is scared ;)

Karldar 04-30-05 09:54 AM

Buddy of mine had a Proflex in the Army when we were stationed in Germany. He was constantly working on it--ordering parts he had broken, trying to pinpoint the numerous squeakings. Plus, his was all elastomer suspension, IIRC. Wore out quick. Lots of play in the linkage. It would've served him better on the wall as a conversation piece than on the trails. OTOH, I'm sure you could pick one up for cheap-if you can find one. Then, and now, I would recommend pretty much any other bike.

robo 04-30-05 09:58 AM

Interesting. I guess it was a good thing i didn't blow all my savings on one back then like i was thinking of doing!

Karldar 04-30-05 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by robo
Interesting. I guess it was a good thing i didn't blow all my savings on one back then like i was thinking of doing!

Yeah, this guy was the type that always jumps in with both feet, whether there's a river at the bottom of the cliff or nice sharp rocks. Pro-flex was so hyped up and so new that he had to have it. We were all awe-struck at first(having HT's only at that point), but the subsequent failings of the bike sobered us up.

white lobster 04-30-05 05:49 PM

The Girvin fork was a pretty cool thing when it came out. This was before one-piece lower leg castings, and the Girvin was arguably much stiffer laterally than anything else on the market.

K2 bought Pro-Flex way back in the day, but didn't do much with the brand. You can still get Pro-Flex parts (usually the bumpers that crack) from K2.

khuon 04-30-05 05:54 PM

Girvin/Pro-Flex/Noleen was purchased by K2 back around 1996. They're still doing well for themselves. If you're interested, check out the K2+Pro-Flex Riders Group website. K2's bike website can be found at:

http://www.k2bikes.com/

Although the original poster probably created this thread as a result, for those that haven't seen it before... regarding the Girvin forks go, check out my recent post on the CrossLink forks.

swifferman 04-30-05 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by robo
How do you mean couldn't keep up? Pricing? Suspension tech?

Going into a bike shop for the first time in 7 years, it's amazing how mountain bikes have changed. Back in the mid 90's, a high end mountain bike was an elegant looking thing, hardtail usually, with an ultralight frame, svelte looking parts, and a 2.7" travel fork. Now, high end mountain bikes look like motocross bikes! They are built like tanks.. are those 4" tires on there? :p

It's going to take some getting used to. My old Tange Prestige Stumpjumper with the Softride stem is scared ;)

High end bikes don't look like motocross bikes now, only freeride/downhill bikes :D!

Check out the Specialized Epic and S-Works and the Trek Fuel series and the Kona Kula Deluxe. Racing hard tails that look like you mentioned above. The Epic especially!

DRJ1971 06-22-05 01:38 PM

I know this is an old thread but Ive just gotta say..I havent riden for a while due to several factors but I just took my trusting mtn bike out for a spin and I must say the Girvin Vector 2 is still one of the best forks ever!!! So stiff, light and great control and feel. If anyone knows of a place to get replacement elastomers please let me know. Mine are still fine but Im dreading the day they kick the bucket. Old school Mountain Cycle MOHO with Girvin Vector 2. This old bike is proving to still be da bomb.

khuon 06-22-05 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by DRJ1971
I know this is an old thread but Ive just gotta say..I havent riden for a while due to several factors but I just took my trusting mtn bike out for a spin and I must say the Girvin Vector 2 is still one of the best forks ever!!! So stiff, light and great control and feel. If anyone knows of a place to get replacement elastomers please let me know. Mine are still fine but Im dreading the day they kick the bucket. Old school Mountain Cycle MOHO with Girvin Vector 2. This old bike is proving to still be da bomb.

This link was posted in the K2+Pro-Flex Rider's Group Forum.

anthonaut 06-23-05 04:58 AM

Awesome avatar, robo.

BikerAndy 05-23-16 04:55 PM

They're still out there

Originally Posted by robo (Post 1114759)
I've been out of the bike loop for about 7 years (basically, while i was doing my Bachelors and Masters degrees). Originally from Vancouver, now living in New York. Anyway, i'm finally getting back into biking. I remember back in the day, i lusted after a Pro-Flex ride, or maybe just a Girvin Vector fork to put onto my StumpJumper.

I did a google this morning, and Pro-Flex and Girvin seem to have vanished.. Did they go bankrupt? I really liked the design and thinking behind the linkage Girvin Vector fork..

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin

Hey Robin - this is an old post, I know. But so am I. I actually got my first Girven Proflex in 1997, and I still have it. It is a great bike - all the gear, and still have the original lever forks. I have a new Monster frame too, with shocks. All still in good working order. Good maintenance helps... I have had to manufacture or repair a few parts, but well worth the effort to keep the name and ride true.

Andy

Tnishibori 03-31-20 03:14 PM

Regarding Girvin Proflex

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin

my uncle sold the company to k2 skis.

ilikebikes 04-09-20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tnishibori (Post 21393940)
my uncle sold the company to k2 skis.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dfb356bb8f.jpg
Maybe you uncle will get a kick out of seeing this “K2” ProFlex 4500 😉👍😎

big john 04-13-20 08:54 PM

I had a K2 Proflex 2000. I rode the thing for 10 years until the frame broke. That front end took a bigger hit pretty well but wasn't very supple. Ended up putting a Manitou fork on it and when the rear shock blew up (Noleen) I had a custom air shock made by Risse Racing. I had a lot of fun with it but it couldn't do what a modern bike can do on rough terrain.

Steve B. 04-14-20 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21416861)
. I had a lot of fun with it but it couldn't do what a modern bike can do on rough terrain.

It was 20 years ago. That's forever in the mt. bike technology world.

I had an 855, got it in '95, beat the crap out of that bike all over New Mexico, Colorado and back home in NY. It weighed 25.5 lbs, handled and rode great, even with a very rudimentary elastomer shock system with no real rebound control. Plus a wonky fork. I loved it.

big john 04-14-20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21417290)
It was 20 years ago. That's forever in the mt. bike technology world.

I had an 855, got it in '95, beat the crap out of that bike all over New Mexico, Colorado and back home in NY. It weighed 25.5 lbs, handled and rode great, even with a very rudimentary elastomer shock system with no real rebound control. Plus a wonky fork. I loved it.

Mine came with Noleen coil hydraulic shocks. When the front one leaked I put the Manitou fork on it and after I put the Risse Racing shock on the back it actually worked pretty well and I think I got it down to 28 pounds eventually.

2old 04-17-20 09:20 AM

I had the Noleen-equipped fork on a Mongoose FS and loved it. Lasted through many years of socal riding back in the mid-90's (or so).

Happy Hooligan 08-03-21 08:48 AM

I've just discovered this great fork because of a local pickup.

Mine is a 93 Kona Fire Mountain with the Girvin /Vector 2. I was told when I bought it, it was a prototype made by the inventor for Mountain Bike Magazine for a photo shoot.
I'm currently rebuilding/restoring the whole bike and I have the elastomer on order. Almost done and it looks amazing. I can't wait to ride it.

If anyone has the old issues and can find the original pics that would be awesome! Also mine has a serial number sticker on it. Is there a data base on these with the serial?
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a9867154b6.jpg

prj71 08-03-21 09:12 AM

Oh my...

:twitchy:

DMC707 08-04-21 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22169187)
Oh my...

:twitchy:

Mind bottling isnt it

thehammerdog 08-05-21 04:30 AM

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin

njcraigslist has several on sale now...

Happy Hooligan 08-08-21 06:59 PM

So I just got my new elastomers!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...63966d931.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f752f542a.jpeg

brandenjs 08-08-21 07:12 PM

I'm in the middle of rebuilding this 1995 855 Proflex. The elastomers were already gone so I ordered the replacement springs. This is a team bike from Team Rhino and a rider named Matt Quinn. Going to be a fun build.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7ec97bfc00.jpg