Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

rjones28 12-29-21 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22354716)
I'm doing just fine.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

genejockey 12-29-21 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22354951)

Inconceivable!

datlas 12-29-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22354654)
You’re addicted.

Maybe. We had a good ride in spite of the cold and wet. I have a pair of Gore shoe covers which did a decent job keeping my feet dry and warm. Unlike last week’s ice fiasco, temps stayed a few degrees above freezing so no casualties. 99.9% fun.

datlas 12-29-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22354835)
One of the guys I rode with Sunday tested positive yesterday, ugh.

We still think it’s not easily transmitted outdoors.

genejockey 12-29-21 12:26 PM

Having made the frame all ready for decalling, I went back and looked over the procedure and recommendations yet again. Turns out, you want to put the decals on at room temperature. That means I'll need to do it in the house, since the garage is currently in the 53-60 degree range. I'm not sure my lovely bride will be happy with this. Still, without all the components, the frame itself is pretty compact. But I think it will be easier to work with if it's on the stand, which takes up a bit of space. I'm also taking my time because even though I I have a number of extra decals, I don't want to mess up. The goal is to have them done as well as they'd have been when the bike was new.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 12:35 PM

OK. I have an occasional cough, but that may linger on for months. Also still feel my hip/buttocks. But, as usual, I would just HTFU and ride anyway. Except now we have a pipeline of rain coming from the Gulf of Mexico to the Tennessee Valley. Also I have a thick folder of bills to do.

So no riding.

But I'm not sick in bed.

phrantic09 12-29-21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22354876)
I'm with Mo, and believe that we will all get the Cov at some point, and likely more than once, even if vaccinated. I also believe there will be various times where we will test positive even though not sick or showing any symptoms. It would be interesting to test weekly even though vaccinated to see how often a positive test results without being sick feeling.

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22354918)
Good friend of mine died recently. I wanted to attend his services but things are too hot right now in NY, I want no part of CV. This has been the really tragic aspect of this pandemic, being unable to safely see your loved ones off.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22354985)
We still think it’s not easily transmitted outdoors.

I think the net time I was within 6 feet was under 10 minutes anyway. Usually I was ahead or beside while riding 20 mph.

phrantic09 12-29-21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22354948)
Myself, I haven't lost anyone I was close to from this, so it's all more or less abstract.

same, It’s strange to me that I don’t even really know anyone who has died of it given the sheer volume of deaths.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22355015)
Hate bills. Especially these types.

I am the biller, not the billee. Not as bad.

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22354786)
:thumb:

You can take that to the bank and 5G is even better.

I read a study back in the 90s where they strapped microwave emitters over people’s ears to warm the brain a little and found cognitive improvement. That’s another seldom advertised benefit.

This explains why I can read without glasses after a 4+ hour fever.

Mojo31 12-29-21 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22355032)
I am the biller, not the billee. Not as bad.

I'll be the biller on Jan. 2. Then I can let the good times roll!

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 01:21 PM

Contrary to my earlier announcement, it appears I am no more alive today than I was yesterday. Perhaps I have long Astra Zeneca. My wife told me of a woman in Merida who was sick for a week, after her first dose.
Edit: This is technically incorrect. Yesterday I didn't have the strength to read, so I put on an audiobook. Today I could read, but I'm not feeling like moving around much. So there is progress.

indyfabz 12-29-21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22355015)
Today is year end financial stuff. I never feel quite so flush when it's over. :cry:

My property tax payment is not due until the end of February, which helps, but I feel your pain. The first quarter really sucks for me. Auto insurance due mid-January. Then property tax. Then H.O. insurance around the end of March.

To make matters worse, payroll taxes start up again at the beginning of January. As a railroad worker, I pay not only the 6.2% equivalent of Social Security (for us, it's called Railroad Retirement Tier I), I pay an additional payroll tax (Railroad Retirement Tier II) up to a certain amount of income every year. For 2021 the rate was 4.9% up to $106K on earnings. The rate and/or the cap has been rising every year. That covers unemployment (I don't pay state unemployment tax), and I get a second Social Security-type benefit when I claim it. So it's like getting a 11.1% cut in pay starting 1/1.

Mojo31 12-29-21 01:35 PM

I think there's some weird psychological/social s**t going on, because the people who die of COVID simply disappear. That is, they go into the hospital and if they die, they don't die surrounded by family. And between travel restrictions and restrictions on gatherings, we don't have big funerals. I mean, 800,000 Americans have died in the last 2 years of this, and we as a nation are NOT grieving normally as you might expect us to. I wonder whether there will be a time when it hits us all, just how much death there has been? Will it hit all at once? Or just each individual.

Myself, I haven't lost anyone I was close to from this, so it's all more or less abstract.

I've known several who have died, but none that were particularly close. The last was a friend of my daughter's dad who was hospitalized for about a month. He was a scout for the Atlanta Braves, but knowing him I'm sure he was a strident anti-vaxxer even though his wife is a nurse.

It may be different if someone I'm close to were to die from the Cov, but everyone who I'm close to has been vaccinated.

I just have a hard time morning the loss of people who made stupid decisions when the risk is well known. Of course, I'm sure there is a place reserved in hell for me.

indyfabz 12-29-21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22355074)
As the "employer", I have to personally foot the bill for mine and my wife's fed income tax, both sides of the social security tax,

I had to do that for about 1.75 year when I was a contractor when I started working again after my two years off. No city wage tax, but I had to pay the city Business Privilege and Net Profit taxes.

ls01 12-29-21 02:13 PM

I think there's some weird psychological/social s**t going on, because the people who die of COVID simply disappear. That is, they go into the hospital and if they die, they don't die surrounded by family. And between travel restrictions and restrictions on gatherings, we don't have big funerals. I mean, 800,000 Americans have died in the last 2 years of this, and we as a nation are NOT grieving normally as you might expect us to. I wonder whether there will be a time when it hits us all, just how much death there has been? Will it hit all at once? Or just each individual.

When my Aunt was passing. One of the care givers told us how hard it was to have family members outside, literally outside watching family members die through a window. Without the comfort of family being able to be there with them. At least we could be there for my Aunt. A lot of people have died alone from this effing bug.

ls01 12-29-21 02:15 PM

let him tell himself whatever he chooses to believe. It'll be easier that way.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22355050)
Contrary to my earlier announcement, it appears I am no more alive today than I was yesterday.

What percentage alive are you?

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22355059)
As a railroad worker,

You're not a real railroad worker.

Trsnrtr 12-29-21 02:21 PM

Eylea injection completed. Dark room for the rest of the day...

ls01 12-29-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22355027)
same, It’s strange to me that I don’t even really know anyone who has died of it given the sheer volume of deaths.

Same here but it is in the realm of once removed. Guys brothers, uncle, guy at the station I used to work @, guy across the street @ the stock room, etc. Way to close for comfort. So far about half of my family has had one strain or the other. I don't know if I did or not because I couldn't get tested. None available. I plan on receiving the booster when I ho back to work. It's nothing to eff with for sure.

LesterOfPuppets 12-29-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22355097)

[insert Blazing Saddles Work Song clip] NSFW

datlas 12-29-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22355097)

You mean he has not been working on the railroad all the live-long day??

Mojo31 12-29-21 02:33 PM

Prolly one of those ruthless scoundrels that fights off FELA claims all the live long day. :rolleyes:

datlas 12-29-21 02:48 PM

Bald Eagle in flight sighted on today’s ride. No pics.

MoAlpha 12-29-21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22355035)
This explains why I can read without glasses after a 4+ hour fever.

You just think you're reading.

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22355102)
Same here but it is in the realm of once removed. Guys brothers, uncle, guy at the station I used to work @, guy across the street @ the stock room, etc. Way to close for comfort. So far about half of my family has had one strain or the other. I don't know if I did or not because I couldn't get tested. None available. I plan on receiving the booster when I ho back to work. It's nothing to eff with for sure.

This just blows my mind, two years in. My sister just reported that their whole family, including grandkids, spent the entire day together, on Sunday. Tuesday one son feels sick and tests positive. For the rest, there are no tests to be found, and a 4-5 day turn-around in case you somehow manage to break through.

Mojo31 12-29-21 05:00 PM

I'm not sure what good the testing really does at this point. If you get sick, you are either going to recover or get to the point where you need medical care. If you need medical care, then testing would help with diagnosis. But, for the vast majority that sweat it out over a couple of days, the testing doesn't really tell you anything other than what you already likely know.

seedsbelize2 12-29-21 05:03 PM

It would tell you whether or not to self-isolate.

Velo Vol 12-29-21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22355254)
I'm not sure what good the testing really does at this point. If you get sick, you are either going to recover or get to the point where you need medical care. If you need medical care, then testing would help with diagnosis. But, for the vast majority that sweat it out over a couple of days, the testing doesn't really tell you anything other than what you already likely know.

It's so widespread that it will effectively become, if it is not already, like influenza.

LAJ 12-29-21 05:17 PM

Covid has damaged people's minds more than their lungs.