Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Hello yall (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232373)

evilla568 06-09-21 07:52 PM

Hello yall

Hi, I do all types of road and mountain cycling in the salt lake valley!

Mark Stone 06-09-21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by evilla568 (Post 22095567)

Hi Utah! Welcome to the madness -- er, I mean Forum. I used to ride west of you in Wendover, and in the salt flats - - actually the long road to the salt flats. Enjoy the forum!

269523 06-11-21 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by evilla568 (Post 22095567)

Welcome! I was new yesterday! Now I'm old!

DeadGrandpa 06-11-21 06:54 PM

Please note, for future reference, that "Y'all" in the thread title should be spelled with an apostrophe, i.e. "Y'all". It is not to be confused with the plural, "All Y'all". Grammar and spelling are very important on this forum, so beware the grammar police.

downtube42 06-11-21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa (Post 22098414)
Please note, for future reference, that "Y'all" in the thread title should be spelled with an apostrophe, i.e. "Y'all". It is not to be confused with the plural, "All Y'all". Grammar and spelling are very important on this forum, so beware the grammar police.

I disagree on the distinction between y'all and all y'all. It's not singularity vs plurality.

Y'all refers to two or more people, but not necessarily everyone. You can be facing a crowd of twenty, be talking to just two of the twenty, and use y'all. As in, "y'all need to go home." In that scenario, the twenty people can look at you, and each one of them can think to themselves, "he didn't mean me."

But if you say "all y'all need to go home", there is no doubt: every stinking one of them needs to go home, and right now.

Oh, welcome to bf, op :)

DeadGrandpa 06-11-21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22098425)
I disagree on the distinction between y'all and all y'all. It's not singularity vs plurality.

Y'all refers to two or more people, but not necessarily everyone. You can be facing a crowd of twenty, be talking to just two of the twenty, and use y'all.

You have obviously never studied the linguistics lessons in the 80's sitcom, "Mel's Diner". You must do your homework before you get to class.

downtube42 06-11-21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa (Post 22098445)
You have obviously never studied the linguistics lessons in the 80's sitcom, "Mel's Diner". You must do your homework before you get to class.

No such formal training for me. My undergrad training was done barefoot in the hills and woods of Missouri, and my postgrad studies in the heat of west Texas. When mama says "all y'all", all y'all are in some serious trouble.