Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   What device do you use to listen to music while riding? (2020) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1212364)

smasha 09-07-20 02:14 AM

What device do you use to listen to music while riding? (2020)

What do you use? What do you recommend?

I'm looking for something that supports bluetooth, is weather-proof, and has tactile buttons for play/pause, skip, and volume.

atwl77 09-07-20 03:11 AM

Aftershokz Aeropex bone-conducting headphones. Is weather-proof and has all the controls that you mentioned.

MntnMan62 09-07-20 09:42 AM

Since I ride on the road mostly, I avoid listening to music as I feel it is unsafe not to be able hear cars coming up behind me. And when I was mostly mountain biking I preferred to hear the sounds of the forest and the bike on the trail. I can listen to all the music I want while I'm home. Or play it with my band. That said, I do have a pair of Powerbeats that seem to work pretty well.

noglider 09-09-20 06:14 PM

I use a bluetooth speaker in my handlebar bag. To control it, I use this button which clips onto my handlebar. It has pause/resume, volume up/down, and prev/next.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg
Oh it turns out that the volume buttons also will take a picture when my camera app is on, so I can set my phone up for a picture and step away from it and take a picture that way.

diphthong 09-09-20 11:58 PM

these. one in the left pocket, one in the right pocket. two hours of charge at full blast. ue is the name of the manufacturer. got both of these in a costco 2-pack for $160 about two years ago. you can control the speaker volume by touching the speaker in the applicable spot but i find it easier to just hit the side volume control buttons on the iphone. can get loud without wind and if you’ve got it on itunes and maxed out the volume on songs/albums/playlists. many parents clutch their children when I’m passing by as if I’m going to sacrifice their children or convert them into lifelong zappa, iggy, pavarotti or carpenters fans. much fear. can’t say i blame them.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d69b8c985.jpeg

beach_cycle 09-10-20 12:44 AM

Android / Bluetooth Headset (New Bee)

I use my Android (IPX68 water/dust resistant) connected to a Bluetooth headset (5.0). It is legal 'cause one ear is open. My phone also logs my rides via Strava, and gives me directions when I request them, or other requests hands free. The device can adjust volume, forward/reverse audio tracks, or connect to the phone for voice commands. It can go for hours in heavy rain, too.

BikeLite 09-10-20 02:31 AM

Some seem to go for the jbl clip.

Iride01 09-10-20 09:06 AM

I just play the music in my head. It keeps all the little voices at bay! <grin>

pdlamb 09-10-20 09:34 AM

If the voices in my head are getting drowned out, I can sing along with them. :)

JerryZ 09-10-20 02:46 PM

I second for Aftershokz Aeropex bone-conducting headphones. They sound as good as any earbuds I've tried and do not interfere with your normal hearing at all. Has all the controls too. I LOVE MINE!
I've tried on-the-bike speakers 3 different versions but just can't get the sound. Just my opinion

Milton Keynes 09-10-20 03:48 PM

I have in the past strapped a small amplified speaker to my stem and plugged it into my phone. I haven't done that in a while, though. I tend to just listen to whatever's around, usually the owls when I'm riding early in the morning.

texaspandj 09-10-20 04:45 PM

Wow, keeping it civil...and on subject.
I use the ifrogs 10 hour earbuds plugz in-ear headphones+mic sweat resistant. I just Bluetooth my phone and listen to Only good music.
I like that they have a wire from ear to ear (so I can't lose them), a clip for your shirt.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...55af2253a.jpeg
Inexpensive not sure how HiFi but good enough for riding.

​​​

atwl77 09-10-20 08:36 PM

Speaking of Bluetooth speakers, since some users mentioned those, I have heard the JBL Clip (someone had them during the ride) but I didn't really like the sound quality. On a different ride someone had a Bose SoundLink Micro, those did sound good with a decent amount of bass but when I checked out the reviews online, battery life is the worst of the bunch. And finally, I have an Ultimate Ears Boom which I have always wanted to take out for a ride with, but never could bear to sacrifice a water bottle for it... but eh, sound quality-wise, it's just okay but nowhere as good as the Bose. The Ultimate Ears speakers all excel at volume (i.e. playing loudly), though.

smasha 09-14-20 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21686307)

I used to have one of those, but the rain killed it. I'd like to find one that's weather-proof.

noglider 09-14-20 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by smasha (Post 21693029)
I used to have one of those, but the rain killed it. I'd like to find one that's weather-proof.

I'd like to find one that is weatherproof and reliable. It's been finicky.

fietsbob 09-14-20 05:26 PM

A Musician, I have plenty of melodies in my head already.. I don't need electronics..

Though I brought a pocket mandolin to sit in pub sessions on the Irish& Scottish West Coasts ..

Bmach 09-14-20 07:10 PM

iPod and a stereo to mono right ear bud.

noglider 09-15-20 08:12 AM

I just received the Monster Boomerang Neckband speaker and am just trying it out. So far, it's fantastic. My hope is that I can hear the ambient sounds I need to hear. The sound quality is good. I tried it for phone calls, too, and it seems to work well. It's definitely not private, however, by its nature.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

Prodigy4299 09-16-20 04:17 AM

I use these from Anker. They're not great audio quality (as with the vast majority of Bluetooth earphones), but they were relatively inexpensive.

Jungleland 09-17-20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by atwl77 (Post 21681694)
Aftershokz Aeropex bone-conducting headphones. Is weather-proof and has all the controls that you mentioned.

This! Been using them for years (when I started running then switched to biking) and they are fantastic. Audio quality isn't awesome but it's a good sacrifice to retain the ambient noise of the road (and cars) as they are not plugging your ears. It's like using external speakers without annoying those around you.

Joearch 09-21-20 08:37 PM

Power Beats connected to iphone on spotify or SirusXM down low if on a road or up a bit if on a bike path w no cars. Map my ride is also connected for periodic updates on ride info

Amt0571 09-22-20 05:30 AM

Don't all of you feel unsafe listening to music while riding? I wouldn't do anything on the bike that distracts me from my surroundings, especially on a road bike.

texaspandj 09-22-20 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Amt0571 (Post 21707036)
Don't all of you feel unsafe listening to music while riding? I wouldn't do anything on the bike that distracts me from my surroundings, especially on a road bike.

Nope, I feel as safe as I could with out earbuds.
However...if I lived downtown in a big city I wouldn't wear them. In fact I would DISLIKE living anywhere that I wouldn't have the option to wear them...or forced to ride a MUP.

BlackMambaNYC 09-22-20 06:29 AM

On my commuter/single speed I just the JBL Clip speaker. I attach it to my backpack or belt loop and it works great. Allows me to hear my surroundings and I get music too.

Hypno Toad 09-22-20 06:47 AM

I have so many good things to say about Skullcandy Method Wireless. To the OP, they are Bluetooth, they are waterproof in a downpour, and have controls on the left end of the neck-loop (easy to use in a wide variety of conditions, included buried under layers in sub-zero temps). Additionally, great battery-life and love the neck-loop to manage the left ear bud ... I only use the right bud while riding.

Selfie with Skullcandy Methods (working on my Instagram influencers status :roflmao2: )

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3dade432e8.jpg