Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

indyfabz 08-05-22 11:53 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22599699)
I wonder who did the first 15 packs. Milwaukee's Best, maybe?
then the 30-packs followed shortly afterwards.

The first time I ever saw one was in '99 while riding across the country. Several of us in the group of 13 were not shy to partake of adult beverages on a regular basis. (One more than others, but that's a different story.) I distinctly remember dropping gear at a campground in MN one hot and steamy day and riding to the nearest town with another group member for some bike work. We picked up a 30 pack of something. Probably Bud. My pal hauled it back to camp in his empty B.O.B. trailer.

Coming from Philly, I could not believe how cheap beer was in other states. I think Ohio had some of the cheapest prices. I remember buying a 25 oz Heineken at gas station for something like $1.95. At the time that would have cost a least $3.00 in Philly.

The KOA in Winthrop, WA had a couple of brands of beer for $0.99. The owner said as long as he could buy a beer for $0.98 he would sell it for $0.99. Might have been Lone Star and Rainier. Tasted like crap, but it still hit the spot after riding over the North Cascades Highway in the rain and snow.

Eric F 08-05-22 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22599675)
I've been signing up for challenges on Strava. Back in June I signed up for a LeCol challenge, and ended up with a $60 discount, so I used it to buy one of their Pro jerseys. I checked the size, and got an XL. It definitely qualifies for the "If it zips, it fits" category - it's snug! Like paint! On the bike it's not a problem, but when I got back on Sunday after wearing it for my long ride, I was sitting there feeling like maybe my breathing was constricted a little - then I unzipped it and it was fine! So, maybe just a bit small. Though, again, it felt fine on the bike. Definitely doesn't flap!

OTOH, Mrs. GeneJockey likes how I look in it, so I'm keeping it!

I used the July challenge discount to buy a long sleeve Pro jersey, but this one I bought in XXL. I figure a base layer might make the XL unzippable!

I didn't know about the Le Col challenge. I just signed up for the current one.

Mojo31 08-05-22 11:55 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22599675)
I've been signing up for challenges on Strava. Back in June I signed up for a LeCol challenge, and ended up with a $60 discount, so I used it to buy one of their Pro jerseys. I checked the size, and got an XL. It definitely qualifies for the "If it zips, it fits" category - it's snug! Like paint! On the bike it's not a problem, but when I got back on Sunday after wearing it for my long ride, I was sitting there feeling like maybe my breathing was constricted a little - then I unzipped it and it was fine! So, maybe just a bit small. Though, again, it felt fine on the bike. Definitely doesn't flap!

OTOH, Mrs. GeneJockey likes how I look in it, so I'm keeping it!

I used the July challenge discount to buy a long sleeve Pro jersey, but this one I bought in XXL. I figure a base layer might make the XL unzippable!

She liked it for the same reason we like it when they wear Spanx. 😉

Mojo31 08-05-22 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22599604)
Seems like you have it figured out. Funny you should mention that but Mrs John loves costume jewelry. The cheaper the better.

Mine likes Kendra Scott stuff. Usually pretty reasonable.

Mojo31 08-05-22 11:59 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22599600)
Is this legal advice?

Its how to play it smart advice.

genejockey 08-05-22 12:01 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22599734)
She liked it for the same reason we like it when they wear Spanx. 😉

She said the other day I look like I'm in the same shape I was when we met - which isn't true by at least 30 lbs - but it's nice that she thinks so.

rjones28 08-05-22 12:03 PM

I'm intrigued by the Pro Breaking Tour Invitational.

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:12 PM

Wordle 412 5/6
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:17 PM

I never got called for my booster. She probably decided to thumb her nose at a a) gringo, b) personage from another pueblo. I guess I'll brave the city tomorrow or Monday

Mojo31 08-05-22 12:18 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22599744)
She said the other day I look like I'm in the same shape I was when we met - which isn't true by at least 30 lbs - but it's nice that she thinks so.

It’s the wine talking.


At least that’s the case in my house.

datlas 08-05-22 12:19 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22599773)
I never got called for my booster. She probably decided to thumb her nose at a a) gringo, b) personage from another pueblo. I guess I'll brave the city tomorrow or Monday

iQue lastima!

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:20 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22598884)
My wife thought this would give my bike an automatic transmission. ;)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3ecacd2bee.jpg

Looks expensive

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:24 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22598927)
She has no idea what a watt is or the concept. There are some things that are just not worth trying to explain. 😜

I did tell her that it is a pure luxury, and wouldn’t make me any faster.

Later today we will have a lesson in how gears work. Her bike is already in the stand. All she wants to know is which lever makes pedaling easier and which makes it harder. Oh! There's a shifter on that side too?

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:27 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22599041)
So does Pennsylvania.

So does Ohio

LesterOfPuppets 08-05-22 12:31 PM

In other music and beer news, I've been obsessed with this tune lately. It's making me wanna make that drive to El Paso, which I've been considering since I found out they have Yuengling there, but then I think hey, maybe it'll make its way to AZ soon. Still no Yuenglings here though...


Mojo31 08-05-22 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22599787)
Later today we will have a lesson in how gears work. Her bike is already in the stand. All she wants to know is which lever makes pedaling easier and which makes it harder. Oh! There's a shifter on that side too?

Nailed it! She told me the other day that the only time she’s shifted off the big ring was by accident.

Im working on it. :thumb:

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22599333)
Awesome! Have you considered yourself to have a Specialized head prior to this? I'm fairly certain that the only helmets that I've owned in this lifetime have been Specialized; I've tried a number in the stores, but only Spec has felt just right atop my noggin.

I've always done well with Bell, and Giro, I think. My current Bontrager is a poor fit. But then I like a helmet with a visor, so my choices are different. I have no issue with putting a visor on a road helmet, if it can be accomplished.

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22599391)
BTW if you want a super cheap Saturn-style homebrew, just combine 2:1 OMS : bar/chain oil. It works almost as well as the fancy lubes and you can make up a couple of quarts for cheap.

I have a gallon of bar and chain oil out in the bodega. What is this OMS of which yo speak?

seedsbelize2 08-05-22 12:37 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22599405)
He started humming some old song.

From 1962, likely.

datlas 08-05-22 12:37 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22599812)
I have a gallon of bar and chain oil out in the bodega. What is this OMS of which yo speak?

Odorless Mineral Spirits. It's a solvent. You cut the oil with 2 parts of the solvent per 1 part of oil. This helps dislodge any water and grime etc, and as the solvent evaporates you are left with just oil.

Wipe chain well after full application.

genejockey 08-05-22 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22599816)
From 1962, likely.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Mojo31 08-05-22 01:09 PM

My sister, who lives in Dago, is flying in today for a wedding shower. She texted my wife a few minutes ago to tell us that it is hot here.

Duh.

datlas 08-05-22 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22599851)
My sister, who lives in Dago, is flying in today for a wedding shower. She texted my wife a few minutes ago to tell us that it is hot here.

Duh.

You can say dago? :twitchy:

Bah Humbug 08-05-22 02:09 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22599871)
You can say dago? :twitchy:

I'm sure you can say lots of things that are considered slurs somewhere. I've never actually encountered someone using that one unironically; is it still actually used? An exhaustive filter would be just about impossible.

Pretty sure I can write "spic-and-span" as well.

Bah Humbug 08-05-22 02:11 PM

In the past three days I ran 4.3, 1.9, 4.3 miles and can still walk normally. That's a first, post-crash. Now two days of no running for travel and then see if I can get on a MTRFA schedule.

Back in school the single-letter day abbreviations were MTWRFAU. And the week starts on Monday, because of course it does.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.