Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

indyfabz 11-23-21 05:46 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22317185)
Cool shot

Thereís at least one website that will tell you when it will be visible in your area. Iíve seen it fly over three times. Really bright and moves fast so you know itís not a plane.

MoAlpha 11-23-21 06:25 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22317221)
I liked the headlight wipers. I've driven when the snow piles up on the headlights and reduces their effectiveness.

Had a terrible Volvo wagon, which I bought (very used) just for the headlight wipers. They didn’t work very well and neither did the headlight schpritzers.

MoAlpha 11-23-21 06:35 AM

They fraud detection AI the credit card companies use keeps getting better and better, but it’s creepy how much they must know about us. Our card was used for some small, innocuous, stuff last night and it knew. The customer service lady said they have the IP addresses or phone numbers the orders came from. I had no idea the merchants passed those through. I also have no idea where our card got skimmed, but it was probably Austin.

datlas 11-23-21 06:37 AM

I am ok with the fraud detection sphincter tone. I get a call from our bank about once every 6-9 months to verify a charge. It's sad that this is the new reality but it's necessary.

datlas 11-23-21 07:06 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22317185)

This is a really cool shot.

As a skeptic, though....wouldn't something like this be ridiculously easy to photoshop? Just wondering, not accusing.

Mojo31 11-23-21 07:07 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317403)
They fraud detection AI the credit card companies use keeps getting better and better, but itís creepy how much they must know about us. Our card was used for some small, innocuous, stuff last night and it knew. The customer service lady said they have the IP addresses or phone numbers the orders came from. I had no idea the merchants passed those through. I also have no idea where our card got skimmed, but it was probably Austin.

May not have happened anywhere you've been.

We had someone set up a fraudulent FedEx account in my wife's name using her Visa credit card. They used it to ship shoes to themself in Africa. Not a box or two, but large boxes filled with shoes. Close to $10k in overnight shipping charges.

Was a real biatch getting that one fixed since we had to convince FedEx and Visa it was fraudulent. FedEx just did not want to walk away from that one. They didn't care that we've never been to Africa, never knew anyone there, had no reason to ship shoes there, and my wife had no reason to open an account in here name (I have a business account).

Then there was the time some Canadians bought over $5k in furniture on my Visa. Again, never been to Canada.

Mojo31 11-23-21 07:09 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22317413)
This is a really cool shot.

As a skeptic, though....wouldn't something like this be ridiculously easy to photoshop? Just wondering, not accusing.

Yes it would be. There is also the question of why no motion blur, especially if his shutter speed was 1/25.

Be interesting to see the EXIF.

datlas 11-23-21 07:15 AM

It's cold and windy out. I don't ride on Tuesdays because work, but I did notice the two club rides posted for today were canceled. Some people need to HTFU.

MoAlpha 11-23-21 07:16 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22317414)
May not have happened anywhere you've been.

We had someone set up a fraudulent FedEx account in my wife's name using her Visa credit card. They used it to ship shoes to themself in Africa. Not a box or two, but large boxes filled with shoes. Close to $10k in overnight shipping charges.

Was a real biatch getting that one fixed since we had to convince FedEx and Visa it was fraudulent. FedEx just did not want to walk away from that one. They didn't care that we've never been to Africa, never knew anyone there, had no reason to ship shoes there, and my wife had no reason to open an account in here name (I have a business account).

Then there was the time some Canadians bought over $5k in furniture on my Visa. Again, never been to Canada.

Yeah, would have had to be stolen from or by an online retailer then, right?

We've never had an issue getting fraud covered.

MoAlpha 11-23-21 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22317421)
It's cold and windy out. I don't ride on Tuesdays because work, but I did notice the two club rides posted for today were canceled. Some people need to HTFU.

Fake 3 min Z5 intervals for me today. The old man's friend.

datlas 11-23-21 07:27 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317425)
Fake 3 min Z5 intervals for me today. The old man's friend.

Wise. It's easy to have armchair bravado, but if I had a ride on today I would certainly be on the fence. Tomorrow it will be just as cold as today, but not windy, so the ride is on.

indyfabz 11-23-21 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22317185)
Cool shot

What do you know? It's going to be visible near my house this evening.. I will be two blocks from this location this afternoon but won't have the time to hang out until 5:09. Might be to low to in the sky to get a great view.

Benjamin Franklin Naitonal Memorial, Pennsylvania, United States | Sighting Opportunity | Spot The Station | NASA

MoAlpha 11-23-21 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22317431)
Wise. It's easy to have armchair bravado, but if I had a ride on today I would certainly be on the fence. Tomorrow it will be just as cold as today, but not windy, so the ride is on.

That breeze is just going to build all day. When I do stuff that's impossible in the traffic and hills, I feel like less of a wuss.

WhyFi 11-23-21 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317403)
They fraud detection AI the credit card companies use keeps getting better and better, but itís creepy how much they must know about us. Our card was used for some small, innocuous, stuff last night and it knew. The customer service lady said they have the IP addresses or phone numbers the orders came from. I had no idea the merchants passed those through. I also have no idea where our card got skimmed, but it was probably Austin.

Effin' TX, amiright?

MoAlpha 11-23-21 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22317481)
Effin' TX, amiright?

Yep. Austin used to be kind of cool.

phrantic09 11-23-21 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22317421)
It's cold and windy out. I don't ride on Tuesdays because work, but I did notice the two club rides posted for today were canceled. Some people need to HTFU.

21 here when it was ride time. Too cold for the dark.

Mojo31 11-23-21 08:43 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317491)
Yep. Austin used to be kind of cool.

Still is if you get rid of the politicians.

MoAlpha 11-23-21 08:48 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22317496)
Still is if you get rid of the politicians.

And the uncontrolled sprawl, the huge crop of uninteresting restaurants and shops, the generic, moneyed, neo-urban types patronizing them...

Still love the green spaces and the Hill Country.

Mojo31 11-23-21 08:58 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317422)
Yeah, would have had to be stolen from or by an online retailer then, right?

We've never had an issue getting fraud covered.

There are lots of ways that the information gets into the hands of the crooks:

1. Skimmers - any gas station, convenience, or point of sale machine anywhere

2. Data breaches - any vendor you bought something from whether on line or in person, bank, credit card issuer, credit card processor, etc.

3. Public WiFi - information sent over unsecured networks

4. Unsecured online vendor websites (look for "HTTPS")

Watch this:


LAJ 11-23-21 08:59 AM

People find a nice place and immediately go about the task of destroying it to suit their wants.

Mojo31 11-23-21 09:01 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317499)
And the uncontrolled sprawl, the huge crop of uninteresting restaurants and shops, the generic, moneyed, neo-urban types patronizing them...

Still love the green spaces and the Hill Country.

All true, just like everywhere else it seems. All the California money rolling in.

It's still cool if you know where to go. Wimberley and Fredericksburg outside of Austin are cool places to go.

big john 11-23-21 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22317397)
Had a terrible Volvo wagon, which I bought (very used) just for the headlight wipers. They didn’t work very well and neither did the headlight schpritzers.

I've ranted on here about the pos Volvo I owned. I've also had a disproportionate amount of grief from the handful of Volvos I have worked on.
One of my snow commuters was a Tercel like this. You can see how the headlight area forms a nice shelf for snow. You have to stop sometimes and scrape it out of there.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69a1947a13.jpg

phrantic09 11-23-21 09:24 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22317530)
I've ranted on here about the pos Volvo I owned. I've also had a disproportionate amount of grief from the handful of Volvos I have worked on.
One of my snow commuters was a Tercel like this. You can see how the headlight area forms a nice shelf for snow. You have to stop sometimes and scrape it out of there.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...69a1947a13.jpg

So youíd recommend against the V60 cross country?

BillyD 11-23-21 09:46 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22317405)
I am ok with the fraud detection sphincter tone. I get a call from our bank about once every 6-9 months to verify a charge. It's sad that this is the new reality but it's necessary.

A whole bunch of things are a sad, new reality, but I can't even list them outside of P&R. :notamused:

BillyD 11-23-21 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22317413)
This is a really cool shot.

As a skeptic, though....wouldn't something like this be ridiculously easy to photoshop? Just wondering, not accusing.

Yes.

I have this incredible shot of a hawk soaring with a chipmunk in his mouth which, even to me, I can't deny, looks photoshopped. I've been questioned more than once so I don't even show it anymore. The story behind the shot is even more awesome.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.