Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Pro’s Closet feedback (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244405)

msu2001la 12-04-22 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by lasauge (Post 22728828)
There's no need for the quotation marks around "new," those listings are legit. I have no affiliation with TPC but happen to know they picked up some NIB inventory from shops that went out of business or were sold to new ownership.

I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the listings. I'm questioning why it would make sense for TPC to be selling new inventory at MSRP, which seems like a major deviation from their business model.
About Us | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

tomato coupe 12-05-22 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22729679)
I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the listings. I'm questioning why it would make sense for TPC to be selling new inventory at MSRP, which seems like a major deviation from their business model.
About Us | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

I think their business model, like all re-sellers, is buy low sell high. This seems consistent with that.

Sy Reene 12-05-22 06:59 AM

Interestingly, they've somehow been able to swing being able to sell their new bikes with full manufacturers warrantees.

msu2001la 12-05-22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 22729921)
Interestingly, they've somehow been able to swing being able to sell their new bikes with full manufacturers warrantees.

I assume they're authorized dealers for the brands they're selling. I don't think SRAM or Shimano or any of the other brands would be OK with them selling new stuff otherwise. Some of the new bikes they are selling are exclusive models - like the Mosaic gravel bikes.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22729830)
I think their business model, like all re-sellers, is buy low sell high. This seems consistent with that.

Sure, but beyond that simplistic/cynical statement TPC has built their business around the idea that buying used products is better than new. They have a whole section on their website that details the benefits. It's cheaper for consumers, they inspect all the stuff so it's still great, they'll buy it back so you can trade in every year and always be riding a different bike, etc. They even mention how they evolved from eBay and now provide a better alternative.

"Most cyclists don’t get a different bike year after year. That used to be a luxury reserved for the super-rich or sponsored pro riders." It seems like a contradiction to have this statement on a website that is also selling brand new $9000+ bikes from companies like Mosaic, Orbea, Yeti, etc. and no longer seems to sell any used products beyond complete bikes and a few wheelsets. If you want a used power meter or anything else, you're back to eBay I guess.

tomato coupe 12-05-22 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22730332)
... beyond that simplistic/cynical statement TPC has built their business around the idea that buying used products is better than new. They have a whole section on their website that details the benefits. It's cheaper for consumers, they inspect all the stuff so it's still great, they'll buy it back so you can trade in every year and always be riding a different bike, etc. They even mention how they evolved from eBay and now provide a better alternative.

If the bulk of what you sell is used, you tell people used bikes make the most sense. That's just marketing.

I have purchased several new items from TPC over the years. The last time I was in their place (before the move to their present location) they had a couple of brand new Yeti MTB on proud display inside the front entrance. There's no seismic shift here.

6door74 12-25-22 10:15 PM

I just bought a 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Expert for $700. TPC has one with basically the same components for $2600! Bicycle Blue book puts the private sale price around $900

msu2001la 12-28-22 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 6door74 (Post 22749032)
I just bought a 2013 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Expert for $700. TPC has one with basically the same components for $2600! Bicycle Blue book puts the private sale price around $900

This one?
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...bike-2013-52cm
It shows as sold.

I wonder if someone actually paid $2600 for a 10 year old bike with Ultegra 6700, or if they lowered the price?

6door74 12-28-22 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22750992)

I wonder if someone actually paid $2600 for a 10 year old bike with Ultegra 6700, or if they lowered the price?

No, it's a 56 and it's still up on the site. I can't post the link though due to my post count. I had to remove yours just to reply with a quote

WT21 02-06-23 01:20 PM

I've been looking at TPC bikes, but every CF bike that I think is a good deal seems to have in the fine print:

"The XYZ (drive side seatstay, as one example) was professionally repaired by Broken Carbon in Boulder, CO, and that repair comes with their 5-year limited warranty"

How good are repairs like this? The ones without repairs seem no different than buying new. It's only the repaired ons that seem to offer significant savings to make it worth buying used.

Mojo31 02-06-23 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by WT21 (Post 22792346)
I've been looking at TPC bikes, but every CF bike that I think is a good deal seems to have in the fine print:

"The XYZ (drive side seatstay, as one example) was professionally repaired by Broken Carbon in Boulder, CO, and that repair comes with their 5-year limited warranty"

How good are repairs like this? The ones without repairs seem no different than buying new. It's only the repaired ons that seem to offer significant savings to make it worth buying used.

I would not buy repaired carbon.

Pro's Closet prices are higher than "market."

Caliwild 02-06-23 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by WT21 (Post 22792346)

Yeah, that bugs me every time I see it. I get excited at the bike and the price but then see that darn boilerplate language. My philosophy is that if I'm going to ride a repaired carbon bike, I better have broken it myself LOL

msu2001la 02-07-23 03:54 PM

I have defended TPC's pricing in the past, when inventory was scarce it seemed more justifiable to pay inflated prices, but given the current climate and inventory levels at local shops it seems ridiculous to me now.

Example:

A shop near me is selling brand new Trek Domane SL6's with 11sp Ultegra mechanical for $3400:
Trek Domane SL 6 Gen 3 - Village Cycle Center | Chicago, IL

TPC has a used 2021 Trek Domane SL6 (11sp mechanical Ultegra) that has some significant scrapes/scratches for $3250:
Trek Domane SL 6 Road Bike - 2021, 54cm | Weight, Price, Specs, Geometry, Size Guide | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

LBS has Emonda SL5's for $2599:
Trek Emonda SL 5 - Village Cycle Center | Chicago, IL

TPC has a 2022 Emonda SL5 with light scratches: $2599 (same price as new?)
Trek Émonda SL 5 Road Bike - 2022, 54cm | Weight, Price, Specs, Geometry, Size Guide | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

I'm sure I could find similar comparisons across other brands. Bikes are available again and being discounted by many shops at the moment. If you're looking for deals, start with your local shop.

Eric F 02-07-23 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by msu2001la (Post 22793608)
I have defended TPC's pricing in the past, when inventory was scarce it seemed more justifiable to pay inflated prices, but given the current climate and inventory levels at local shops it seems ridiculous to me now.

Example:

A shop near me is selling brand new Trek Domane SL6's with 11sp Ultegra mechanical for $3400:
Trek Domane SL 6 Gen 3 - Village Cycle Center | Chicago, IL

TPC has a used 2021 Trek Domane SL6 (11sp mechanical Ultegra) that has some significant scrapes/scratches for $3250:
Trek Domane SL 6 Road Bike - 2021, 54cm | Weight, Price, Specs, Geometry, Size Guide | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

LBS has Emonda SL5's for $2599:
Trek Emonda SL 5 - Village Cycle Center | Chicago, IL

TPC has a 2022 Emonda SL5 with light scratches: $2599 (same price as new?)
Trek Émonda SL 5 Road Bike - 2022, 54cm | Weight, Price, Specs, Geometry, Size Guide | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)

I'm sure I could find similar comparisons across other brands. Bikes are available again and being discounted by many shops at the moment. If you're looking for deals, start with your local shop.

I would expect, at some point, that TPC will start to adjust their pricing in order to move inventory and generate cash flow.

Mojo31 02-07-23 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22793615)
I would expect, at some point, that TPC will start to adjust their pricing in order to move inventory and generate cash flow.

Or not. There are lots of fools being born every day.

Eric F 02-07-23 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22793680)
Or not. There are lots of fools being born every day.

Valid point, but I have doubts that is a sustainable business plan for selling bikes. Other things, however, rely on that plan.

Mojo31 02-08-23 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22793696)
Valid point, but I have doubts that is a sustainable business plan for selling bikes. Other things, however, rely on that plan.

Have you been in "General" lately? :innocent:

Eric F 02-08-23 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22794543)
Have you been in "General" lately? :innocent:

Valid argument.

FrozenBiker 05-08-23 02:38 PM

Strange purchase with TPC

They had the Edge 840 in stock, so I ordered one using Rainmakers coupon. After two days of FedEx screwing ups, Mathew at TPC was able to change it to a "hold for pickup". With the box now in hand, I saw that it was already opened. The plastic charging door was also sketchy, and looked as though it would pop open on the first bump. I did not bother to plug it in or turn it on as this was unacceptable.

The RMA and refund were painless, yet no apology or otherwise accepting responsibility for this. Nothing.

Wouldn't you also expect something there?

tomato coupe 05-08-23 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by FrozenBiker (Post 22884021)
They had the Edge 840 in stock, so I ordered one using Rainmakers coupon. After two days of FedEx screwing ups, Mathew at TPC was able to change it to a "hold for pickup". With the box now in hand, I saw that it was already opened. The plastic charging door was also sketchy, and looked as though it would pop open on the first bump. I did not bother to plug it in or turn it on as this was unacceptable.

The RMA and refund were painless, yet no apology or otherwise accepting responsibility for this. Nothing.

Wouldn't you also expect something there?

You want The Pro's Closet to apologize and accept responsibility for the way Garmin designed the charging door?

FrozenBiker 05-08-23 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22884242)
You want The Pro's Closet to apologize and accept responsibility for the way Garmin designed the charging door?

Tomato, you missed this part: "With the box now in hand, I saw that it was already opened."
If they choose to break the factory seal in order to play with something in the office,
they certainly cannot sell it out as new. This should be "open box".

tomato coupe 05-08-23 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by FrozenBiker (Post 22884252)
Tomato, you missed this part: "With the box now in hand, I saw that it was already opened."
If they choose to break the factory seal in order to play with something in the office,
they certainly cannot sell it out as new. This should be "open box".

No, I didn't miss that part. But, you made two complaints: the opened box and the charging door. So, do you expect them to apologize and accept responsibility for the way Garmin designed the charging door? If not, what was the point of mentioning it?

bruce19 05-10-23 01:31 PM

FWIW I bought a 2016 GURU Photon from TPC. It came with ultra light Maavic wheels (1295 g), Dura Ace 11-sp mechanical and weighed 14lb 8 oz w/o pedals. The bike is amazing and cost me $2000.

ussprinceton 05-12-23 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22792350)
I would not buy repaired carbon.

Pro's Closet prices are higher than "market."

I agree

Jrasero 05-16-23 03:44 PM

They are probably the best known for documenting any kind of defect or damage to the bike. I have had some friends buy bikes off TPC and on the photos they should minor damaged and when they got the bike they couldn't even find or notice some of the cosmetic issues. The return policy is also very good

My big issue with them is that they are like Carvana or Carmax where you clearly are paying more than you would if you went private sale, with the caveat you still don't get any kind of warranty.