Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Living Car Free (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   How simply do you live? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=163801)

Smallwheels 11-27-13 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ekdog (Post 16279764)
Could you recommend a good minimalist blog, please?

Do you want to read about how it is done or do you just want to follow a blog of somebody living that way?

As far as getting instructions it is very easy. Get rid of everything you haven't used in a long time. Have a garage sale or begin selling things with value and take in some money. Donate the rest.

Rent tools or cars when they are needed instead of owning them.

Living with less things takes up less space. It might be beneficial to move to a smaller place or rent a room like I do.

http://www.tosimplify.net/ This is my favorite blog. It isn't an instruction manual. It is an entertaining view into a life of a musician that lives in a Volkswagon Vanagon van. He started in a Ford van with a high top. Then he moved into a Class C small motor home. He downsized to the VW within the last few months. He is happiest in the smallest van. He custom built the interior. Read his blog from the beginning to understand his process and motivation. He is self employed as an arranger. He arranges the music for the TV show "Family Guy." He also performs as a session player on recordings.

http://www.theminimalists.com/start/ These guys are entertaining and write well. They have some videos too.

http://zenhabits.net/minimalist-fun-...ngs-challenge/ I visited this site and didn't find it as entertaining but there are some ideas here that many people like.

I know of a couple of guys with blogs that live with very little. I've only recently come across them and can't recommend them yet. One guy is walking around the world pulling a cart with his things. He's been doing it for fifteen years. The other is traveling around the world with not much more than a back pack. The first guy is doing it to prove something to himself. The second guy is doing it because he likes traveling. He recently formed a company taking people on tours of India.

Rollfast 12-02-13 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16276731)
Have you had any problem copying digital video content from commercial DVDs encoded with digital copy protection?

Why not just put them in the tray and watch them when you like and save the computer for the regular viruses and stuff? :lol:

Rollfast 12-02-13 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ekdog (Post 16279764)
Could you recommend a good minimalist blog, please?

Minimalists don't blog, I would figure.

Ekdog 12-02-13 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 16293401)

Why not?

I-Like-To-Bike 12-02-13 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 16293398)
Why not just put them in the tray and watch them when you like and save the computer for the regular viruses and stuff? :lol:

Uh, maybe because the DVD's are no longer available to put in the tray. Ya know, like returned to the owner; rented (Netflix or Redbox) or borrowed from the library or a friend, duh. :rolleyes:

Ekdog 12-03-13 04:05 PM

You're not "saving" money by spending money on things you don't need.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I-Like-To-Bike 12-06-13 12:20 PM

Another free Kindle Book of interest:
Secrets of Quick Decluttering, Selling and Organizing the Home Area: Essential Step by Step Methods to Clutter-Free Lifestyle at Home & Earn Money through Selling Cluttered Items On eBay & Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Quick-.../dp/B00BRNGFU8

Gramercy 12-09-13 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 16306995)
Another free Kindle Book of interest:
Secrets of Quick Decluttering, Selling and Organizing the Home Area: Essential Step by Step Methods to Clutter-Free Lifestyle at Home & Earn Money through Selling Cluttered Items On eBay & Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Quick-.../dp/B00BRNGFU8

It's only free if you have Amazon Prime.

technoD 12-09-13 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 16293401)

Um actually, yeah we do ... a little. :crash:

technoD 12-09-13 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 16278965)
I haven't run into any problems... yet. Most of the stuff I have copied so far has been older. I will have to try one of the newer ones and see if it makes a difference. I did have to download a codec package to play some of them on my laptop.

Aaron :)

Tip; If you do run into problems with older DVD's try to find a video stabilizer. These were popular in the 80's-90's with VHS tapes because they restore the video and horizontal sync, but this may not work with the newer DVD's. ;)

I-Like-To-Bike 12-09-13 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gramercy (Post 16313956)
It's only free if you have Amazon Prime.

It was free for everybody when I posted three days ago; you need to respond quickly on these free offers.

Smallwheels 12-09-13 06:43 PM

There are Kindle apps that work on computers too. I have one for my Apple computer. I don't have one for my Linux operating system. Post 1501 gives all of the information necessary for removing clutter and becoming a minimalist. Finding sites to sell specific items and finding the value of them might be more involved regarding specialty items and collectibles. Keep what you use and get rid of the rest one way or another. Don't buy more stuff unless you really need it. Simple.

Rollfast 12-16-13 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ekdog (Post 16293482)
Why not?

Because they shouldn't be spending money of smartphones and internet service. That's not very MINIMAL.

So you can see that a BLOGGING MINIMALIST is an OXYMORON.

Rollfast 12-16-13 11:31 AM

I have to disagree with post 1501...what you really need is MORE HANDS helping you. It's not a job to do alone after 15 years.

Roody 12-16-13 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 16334343)
Because they shouldn't be spending money of smartphones and internet service. That's not very MINIMAL.

I would say that a blog is among the simplest ways to publish your thoughts so that others can read them. You don't have to write with a quill on parchment paper and send it by pony express.

Ekdog 12-16-13 03:58 PM

No need to SHOUT. :)

My idea of a minimalist is a person who strives to live with fewer possessions, not someone who owns absolutely nothing. Your definition may be stricter, but I assume you'd allow for having a few items, such as clothing and perhaps a few tools used for make a living, wouldn't you? A computer might fall into the latter category, or perhaps the minimalist uses his employer's computer or one at the library to write his blog.

eofelis 12-17-13 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Smallwheels (Post 16281973)

http://www.tosimplify.net/ This is my favorite blog. It isn't an instruction manual. It is an entertaining view into a life of a musician that lives in a Volkswagon Vanagon van. He started in a Ford van with a high top. Then he moved into a Class C small motor home. He downsized to the VW within the last few months. He is happiest in the smallest van. He custom built the interior. Read his blog from the beginning to understand his process and motivation. He is self employed as an arranger. He arranges the music for the TV show "Family Guy." He also performs as a session player on recordings.

I've been following this guy's blog from the beginning when he was just moving into his first van.

Smallwheels 12-17-13 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by eofelis (Post 16338034)
I've been following this guy's blog from the beginning when he was just moving into his first van.

Me too. I was searching for others who want to live in a van or car instead of in a house or apartment. Somehow I found him right at the beginning. Unfortunately my income hasn't been able to get me into a van just yet. It will happen eventually.

technoD 12-23-13 12:00 PM

Hmmm, I see people at the local library blogging using public computers all the time. I have my own laptop to blog with if I wish,and smartphones can be had very cheaply now and take up very little room in your pocket so they're excellent for minimalists. ;)

technoD 12-23-13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Smallwheels (Post 16338353)
Me too. I was searching for others who want to live in a van or car instead of in a house or apartment. Somehow I found him right at the beginning. Unfortunately my income hasn't been able to get me into a van just yet. It will happen eventually.

I camped in my 1 ton ford van for almost a year, it's a mixed bag at best. Sometimes carefree living, sometimes not! :(

Smallwheels 12-23-13 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by technoD (Post 16353649)
I camped in my 1 ton ford van for almost a year, it's a mixed bag at best. Sometimes carefree living, sometimes not! :(

I read a post about someone planning to live in the back seat of a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. He said he wasn't too tall and that there was enough room to lay down. I too would fit. If I were to do it, the back seat would be removed so that the whole rear floor could be converted to a bed. That would seem like a very safe and spacious space to sleep. It would be very stealthy. I rented a GMC Sonoma extended cab small pickup for a week and found enough space behind the front seat to nap during lunch breaks. Doing so in a crew cab would seem luxurious by comparison. Having a van would be palatial.

What made you choose to live in a van? Why did you stop? Did you save a lot of money living that way? Just curious.

technoD 12-23-13 04:39 PM

Van living is sort of fun once you get used to it. Well, I guess technically I'm homeless since I just rent a room from my buddy who owns the house and I have a job , but in past years I camped in my van since it was much simpler than trying to pay the extreme rents around here. I did manage to get by pretty cheaply like that for awhile.
Eventually the trans started giving me fits, so I sold it but I may buy another in the future. There are entire forums about people who live this way, some are more extravagant than others. ;)

Astrozombie 12-23-13 05:11 PM

Paying for a storage unit is terrible! My uncle had to move into a smaller apartment and then decided to dump a bunch of crap at my grandma's house :crash: And now they are thinking of taking it to a storage place because they don't want to confront him about all his stuff. As it is you don't even really use/need the stuff you will put in there :cry:

Meanwhile these peeps on "Storage Wars" make a quick buck on the things people never bothered to give away/sell before they died/forgot.

Artkansas 12-23-13 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Astrozombie (Post 16354376)
Paying for a storage unit is terrible!

For me it works, but a large part of that is because my storage unit is directly across the street from my apartment, so it's very accessible.

Artkansas 12-23-13 05:26 PM

What's stopping them from blogging at the library? These days even the homeless have a laptop with a wireless connection.