Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

genejockey 04-13-22 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22471176)
First warm ride of the year. I don’t think I am acclimated to the heat yet, there were a few times I felt on the verge of puking. Still, a fine ride.

I get that sometimes. It's happened on days that were not all that warm, maybe low 80s, but they were the first day that temp all year, after a winter mostly off.

One year, I started the Old La Honda climb (7.5%, 3.1 miles), but halfway up I felt like crap. Lightheaded, nauseous, sweating like a river. I had to stop and cool down, and then ride back down, and gently rode the 81 miles home. Next week, same temperature if not warmer, and I had no problem at all. Passed the place where I'd stopped 1 minute ahead of my time the previous wee,.

Mojo31 04-13-22 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471207)
Man, you know it's bad when a Minnesotan thinks that y'all are babies when it comes to your AC setting. :p

Come visit in July. I'd bet you that within 6 hours you'd be on the next flight north. :innocent:

WhyFi 04-13-22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22471231)
Come visit in July. I'd bet you that within 6 hours you'd be on the next flight north. :innocent:

You'd lose that bet.

genejockey 04-13-22 12:21 PM

Last night I did a workout on Wahoo's Systm, which I signed up for just to try a longer plan. It was provocatively titled "A Very Dark Place", and consisted of 5 blocks of 4 minutes, between 100 and 115% of FTP, with two of the segments also including 10 second sprints. It was hard, but not as bad as all that.

Then, when I went to bed about 5 hours later, as I lay there I felt an odd kind of 'flutter' in my chest. I checked my pulse at the wrist, and it was... irregular. Not too fast or to slow. More like syncopated, averaging around 50-60 bpm, but at irregular intervals, like beat - pause - beat beat - beat - beat - beat beat - beat - beat - pause - beat, beat. Like that. No other symptoms, but of course my anxiety shot up. I couldn't get back to sleep for 3 hours, during which every time I checked, my pulse was steady. I spent a while looking it up online, remembering that I had been diagnosed a few years back with a murmur involving my mitral valve, and that can apparently cause mild occasional arrythmia.

Contacted my PCP this morning, who basically said, Don't Panic, come by for an EKG sometime this week. Maybe don't ride today, and go at reduced effort tomorrow. So, now I'm feeling betrayed by my body, and wondering what it all means.

Mojo31 04-13-22 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22471239)
Last night I did a workout on Wahoo's Systm, which I signed up for just to try a longer plan. It was provocatively titled "A Very Dark Place", and consisted of 5 blocks of 4 minutes, between 100 and 115% of FTP, with two of the segments also including 10 second sprints. It was hard, but not as bad as all that.

Then, when I went to bed about 5 hours later, as I lay there I felt an odd kind of 'flutter' in my chest. I checked my pulse at the wrist, and it was... irregular. Not too fast or to slow. More like syncopated, averaging around 50-60 bpm, but at irregular intervals, like beat - pause - beat beat - beat - beat - beat beat - beat - beat - pause - beat, beat. Like that. No other symptoms, but of course my anxiety shot up. I couldn't get back to sleep for 3 hours, during which every time I checked, my pulse was steady. I spent a while looking it up online, remembering that I had been diagnosed a few years back with a murmur involving my mitral valve, and that can apparently cause mild occasional arrythmia.

Contacted my PCP this morning, who basically said, Don't Panic, come by for an EKG sometime this week. Maybe don't ride today, and go at reduced effort tomorrow. So, now I'm feeling betrayed by my body, and wondering what it all means.

Means you are over 60.

It sucks.

Velo Vol 04-13-22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22471104)

A radio tuner to two decimal points. Fancy.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22471162)
I have two. But they are no paper editions.

Chittenango has two dailies?

Velo Vol 04-13-22 12:31 PM

I remember when Knoxville had the News-Sentinel in the a.m and the Journal in the p.m. #Old

Now we don't even have one proper paper.

Velo Vol 04-13-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22471170)
Endless options. Wind levels in East Tennessee or why it rains on Tuesdays in East Tennessee.

I've tried these and people here don't get it. YMMV

WhyFi 04-13-22 12:36 PM

Trying to decide about riding... It had looked like today was going to be a wash, and it was assumed that the Wed night group ride was off... but now it looks like it's not going to rain in the evening... but it's 37°, overcast, still damp from the overnight/morning rain, and windy - just ******g miserable, IOW.

Take the day off? Squeeze out for a short solo ride under the assumption that the group ride is off? Reach out to others in the group and possibly get roped in to a miserable evening? Decisions, decisions.

Bah Humbug 04-13-22 01:02 PM

Mojo31 , AVDP is a Sufferfest workout and their name. They liked dramatic names.

AC temperature is dependent on a number of things. The harder it works to get down to the target, the better it feels. Setting it for 74 on a day that’s 76 and humid can be tough. Setting it for 82 on a day that’s 102 outside is fine.

phrantic09 04-13-22 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471259)
Trying to decide about riding... It had looked like today was going to be a wash, and it was assumed that the Wed night group ride was off... but now it looks like it's not going to rain in the evening... but it's 37°, overcast, still damp from the overnight/morning rain, and windy - just ******g miserable, IOW.

Take the day off? Squeeze out for a short solo ride under the assumption that the group ride is off? Reach out to others in the group and possibly get roped in to a miserable evening? Decisions, decisions.

If it’s not raining, it won’t be miserable IMO

bampilot06 04-13-22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471259)

Theres always zwift.

oh wait. nvm.

WhyFi 04-13-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471318)
If it’s not raining, it won’t be miserable IMO

Cold, damp air is miserable. I'd rather ride at dry 30° than a damp 37°.

WhyFi 04-13-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22471326)
Theres always zwift.

oh wait. nvm.

Yeah, not that desperate.

phrantic09 04-13-22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471339)

I’d still go- but I’m slightly stupid sometimes

WhyFi 04-13-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471342)
I’d still go- but I’m slightly stupid sometimes

I've at least ridden the last four days and, tbh, it's the whole trifecta - damp, cold and windy. I've dealt with two out of the three the last few rides - they were necessary rides, but I wouldn't have called them fun - but all three? Ugh.

bampilot06 04-13-22 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471341)
Yeah, not that desperate.

I agree with you. It’s better than being on the trainer and watching a wall, but not much better.

phrantic09 04-13-22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471348)
I've at least ridden the last four days and, tbh, it's the whole trifecta - damp, cold and windy. I've dealt with two out of the three the last few rides - they were necessary rides, but I wouldn't have called them fun - but all three? Ugh.

That seems fair, I’d go in a thunderstorm right now since I’m going to miss all of next week.

Bah Humbug 04-13-22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22471339)

That’s the Boulder effect - 40°, sunny, and dry is nice. The same temp in Albany but damp and leaden-skied is horrible.

bampilot06 04-13-22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471351)
That seems fair, I’d go in a thunderstorm right now since I’m going to miss all of next week.

You can still use my cervelo. I won’t be in town though.

phrantic09 04-13-22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22471363)
You can still use my cervelo. I won’t be in town though.

Thanks dude- I’m going to enjoy the family time

phrantic09 04-13-22 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22471353)
That’s the Boulder effect - 40°, sunny, and dry is nice. The same temp in Albany but damp and leaden-skied is horrible.

40 in Albany is shorts, arm warmer and gilet weather man!!

Velo Vol 04-13-22 02:10 PM

MOTD

13 April 2022

bampilot06 04-13-22 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471366)
Thanks dude- I’m going to enjoy the family time

Sounds good. When you go to Busch. As far as food goes. If you want to eat in doors because it’s too hot or what not you choice is the Fest house, in germany. Menu includes chicken, sausage platters, roast beef sandwich salads, for kids chicken nuggets, pizza. The fest house also has live music at certain times which is pretty cool. The rest of the countries the eating is out doors. France has the smoke house which is pretty good. Italy has a market style restaurant. You can get italian food, asian food and greek food in there. England has burgers chicken tenders and such.

phrantic09 04-13-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22471386)
Sounds good. When you go to Busch. As far as food goes. If you want to eat in doors because it’s too hot or what not you choice is the Fest house, in germany. Menu includes chicken, sausage platters, roast beef sandwich salads, for kids chicken nuggets, pizza. The fest house also has live music at certain times which is pretty cool. The rest of the countries the eating is out doors. France has the smoke house which is pretty good. Italy has a market style restaurant. You can get italian food, asian food and greek food in there. England has burgers chicken tenders and such.

thanks- what about good places in the greater Willyburg area? We’re coming in Sunday evening.

bampilot06 04-13-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471388)
thanks- what about good places in the greater Willyburg area? We’re coming in Sunday evening.

Sals by victor is a pizzeria with good food. It is a pretty big restaurant and is kid friendly. My FIL makes the pasta for Sals, and my MIL makes the deserts.

Fat tuna is a seafood restaurant that we enjoy.

All of the restaurants in Merchant square are very good. Dog street pub, berrets, mellow mushroom, the wine and cheese shop, fat canary, blue talon.

Best burger, Craft 31.

Ice cream, our favorite is Meadows. Right next to Sals. Second favorite is Kiwanis which is in colonial williamsburg.

if you are able to go out with just the wife Le Yaca is a french restaurant that is very very good.

Edit:

Breakfast: plenty of pancake houses, all of them are good. First watch is in New town which everyone swears by. On Richmond Road there is a restaurant called Aother Broken egg which is also good.

Bah Humbug 04-13-22 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471369)
40 in Albany is shorts, arm warmer and gilet weather man!!

Not even close.

WhyFi 04-13-22 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22471388)

bam gets a kickback if you go to either Sal's by Victor or Fat Tuna. :p (I can't get the kids to a seafood place, but Sal's was good).

Unfortunately, the in-laws are really chain-lovers, so we haven't been out to the smaller/independent places as much we should, but I'd pretty much agree with what bam's mentioned. I've also liked all of the Mexican joints that I've been to there, and I always sneak away to the little hole-in-the-wall places by myself at least once or twice per trip.

datlas 04-13-22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22471239)

Probably just throwing some PVCs (common and harmless) but by all means get it checked.

datlas 04-13-22 04:06 PM

Another reason I was wiped from todays ride is that at least for the first part of the ride I had extra resistance. It felt like the rear brakes were on lightly, especially under load. Crap! I loosened the brake QR but problem persisted. A quick look revealed the rear tire was lightly rubbing the left rear chainstay. I repositioned and tightened rear QR more tightly and I believe problem fixed.

This has happened on the Roubaix at times. Is it typical for when rear QR not tight enough??? I am positive the wheel was centered properly at ride start. Vertical dropouts on both bikes, if that matters. Thoughts??