Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Planet Cyclery Patchbook/ Is it just me? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1273928)

louky 06-02-23 01:43 PM

Planet Cyclery Patchbook/ Is it just me?

I bought a number of these on sale as part of another order I was making. I cannot get them to stick. I was diligent in scuffing the tire and they still won't stick. I have yet to try to clean the rubber with something prior to patching because I am wanting these for emergency patching. I use the patches with the orange edges when I am home with cement but was wanting something to carry with me without having to carry the cement in the small tubes, which seems to dry up on me. Am I doing something wrong? What do you carry for emergency glueless patches? Patchbook Planet Cyclery Glueless Patch Kit | Specials | Patchbook | PlanetCyclery.com

maddog34 06-02-23 01:57 PM

the newest, latest, greatest, super- low budget tubes are made out of ridiculously slippery "whatever" and patches won't adhere to them well, if at all....glue or not... roughed up or not... cleaned or not.

they feel "greasy" to the touch, with no signs of actual grease or lube present.
i've had a few fail at their factory seams, and around the valve stem too...... indicating that they don't even stick to themselves when made...

just sayin'....
oh, and temp. patches don't work well if applied to a too-small tube in a larger tire.... especially if the applier is in a hurry...

Bill Kapaun 06-02-23 02:28 PM

Push the air out of the glue tube before you put the cap on.
Waste a drop and it'll stay fresh(er).

HillRider 06-02-23 04:10 PM

The Park GP-2 patches seem to work pretty well. They are an improvement over the original version which were hit-and-miss.

Camilo 06-03-23 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun (Post 22910589)
Push the air out of the glue tube before you put the cap on.
Waste a drop and it'll stay fresh(er).

This works. Also, what I do is buy quantities of the small tubes from eBay or other online sources so I have a few on hand at home. I always have a fresh/sealed one in the saddle bag for on the road use** If I happen to use it on the road, I do cap it off like he says above, but leave it at home for use there and put a new fresh one in the bag. I'd rather have a potentially dried out one at home than on the road.

** And I rarely actually use the glue on the road. 999 times out of 1000, I just get one flat on a ride. I simply use in the spare tube on the road and patch the old one at home with a tube of glue at home, virtually never patch a tire on the road. I then put the patched one back on the bike and put the non-patched one back into the saddle bag so i know that the one in the saddle bag doesn't have any patches in it.

KerryIrons 06-04-23 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22910687)
The Park GP-2 patches seem to work pretty well. They are an improvement over the original version which were hit-and-miss.

Another vote for Park. Some people see them as permanent patches, but on the rare occasion when I get two flats and have to use the Park patch, I peel it off when I get home and replace it with a Rema patch.