Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-02-20 06:58 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21565026)
I was talking to mrs datlas about the Garmin Varia radar and how a lot of cyclists I know are using it. She actually suggested I go ahead and get one. :bday:

Only question is do I get the RTL510 for $150 or the RTL515 for $200. DCRainmaker says the main benefits are the newer device has bluetooth and maybe a couple extra modes but really not much of a difference so I am inclined to get the 510.

Should I start a thread? With a poll???

Of course!

I simply hate the idea of more **** on the bike, but I wonder if it would have saved me from that hit-and-run back in January. A camera might have nailed the ****er, but a camera AND radar? It's almost unthinkable.

phrantic09 07-02-20 07:02 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21565026)
I was talking to mrs datlas about the Garmin Varia radar and how a lot of cyclists I know are using it. She actually suggested I go ahead and get one. :bday:

Only question is do I get the RTL510 for $150 or the RTL515 for $200. DCRainmaker says the main benefits are the newer device has bluetooth and maybe a couple extra modes but really not much of a difference so I am inclined to get the 510.

Should I start a thread? With a poll???

yes, definitely a which radar should I get poll.

i canít imagine needing anything more than what the 510 offers.

bampilot06 07-02-20 07:02 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21565033)
No contacts or anything currently?


Nope. Never had any issues, I just noticed a couple years ago that when I was tired I would have trouble reading things at a distance. Never gave it much thought. In the last 6 months I have noticed that I have the same problem when I am not tired and the distance seems to be getting smaller. It only affects my reading. I can see a runway 30 miles out, see planes easily when weíre passing in the sky, itís just letters.

bampilot06 07-02-20 07:04 AM

So with my bar end gone, is it safe to assume that my handle bar tape will start to come undone until I get a replacement?

MoAlpha 07-02-20 07:04 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21564531)
yes. i just had my eyes check in april. It has gotten progressively harder for me to read the rows of letters on the chart. Our eye sight also doesn’t have to be perfect to fly airplanes and my eye sight is acceptable but on a personal level I don’t like that I am having trouble reading and seeing detail at distance if that makes sense.

Sure it makes sense. That's why I wear glasses when I want to see stuff. Fortunately, my far vision is good enough for the bike (not good enough for the boat), but I carry 2 diopter readers in my jersey pocket in case I have to fix something or read maps on the phone.

abshipp 07-02-20 07:08 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21564453)
Well Iím gunna have to get my eyes checked. They have been bothering me for a while but tonight proved it. I rode by a house that was for sale and I couldnít read the numbers on the mail box. Wanted to get the address to look it up.
I can see fine but reading letters and numbers are very hard to make out more than 100 feet away.

Anybody else have this issue?

Maybe you're asleep and all of this is a dream. I hear that lucid dreamers test to see if they are in a dream by trying to read something,

Don't wake up bampilot06 ! I like my life, if you wake up all of this will disappear!






;)

phrantic09 07-02-20 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21565044)
Nope. Never had any issues, I just noticed a couple years ago that when I was tired I would have trouble reading things at a distance. Never gave it much thought. In the last 6 months I have noticed that I have the same problem when I am not tired and the distance seems to be getting smaller. It only affects my reading. I can see a runway 30 miles out, see planes easily when weíre passing in the sky, itís just letters.

I wear contacts that correct me to 20/20, but when my eyes get tired toward the end of the day, I have trouble seeing license plates and things like that.

LesterOfPuppets 07-02-20 07:20 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21564525)
Taking a short family trip. Visited a state park along the north shore, including a hike to the top of a cliff overlooking the lake. The fog hiding the drop did nothing to ease the amount of 'nope' that I was feeling.

North Shore of ... Minnetonka?
Looks almost like it could be North Shore in BC. The weather is right, and some of the trees are right :)

Velo Vol 07-02-20 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21565045)
So with my bar end gone, is it safe to assume that my handle bar tape will start to come undone until I get a replacement?

Not necessarily. I crashed years back and lost one, and the tape is still on. It's probably fossilized now.

datlas 07-02-20 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21565035)
Of course!

I simply hate the idea of more **** on the bike, but I wonder if it would have saved me from that hit-and-run back in January. A camera might have nailed the ****er, but a camera AND radar? It's almost unthinkable.

I was not really serious about getting a Varia pre-COVID because almost all my rides were club rides. But now I am doing mostly solo rides and that may continue for quite some time, so the Varia makes sense. I have connected my Garmin 130 to friends' Varia radars on a group ride so I get what the device does and I think it is worth considering for solo riders.

Trsnrtr 07-02-20 07:26 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21565032)
Mask on the clean underwear principle?

Yes.

seedsbelize 07-02-20 07:32 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21564573)
I started having issues in my 40s after having great vision before that. It started with the TV looking a little weird but I wasn't sure if it was my eyes. Then it got harder to read in low light. Now I wear bifocals.:mad: I've been wearing 1.75 reading sunglasses on the bike and it works. The eye doc said if it works, fine.

Same. Except I wear my regular glasses on the bike

seedsbelize 07-02-20 07:45 AM

I'm still havung trouble around the Pcad thing. As in its very easy to talk myself out of going for a ride, when normally I would go without a thought. I'm contemplating becoming primarily a gravel rider. I have a bike that would convert easily to 650b. Or even a Silver Comet Fred. Though mups are rare here. I'm also contemplating getting more lights and lighting myself up like a Christmas tree in broad daylight. Would that have saved him?
Today I'm doing bike shop work in lieu of riding

rjones28 07-02-20 07:49 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21564985)
Failed to unclip at a stop sign this morning. Hurt my ego and screwed up my bar tape. Also lost my bar end.
Thankfully fell non drive side and I donít see any scratches or bent things on the bike.

Oof.

rjones28 07-02-20 07:51 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21565026)
I was talking to mrs datlas about the Garmin Varia radar and how a lot of cyclists I know are using it. She actually suggested I go ahead and get one. :bday:

Only question is do I get the RTL510 for $150 or the RTL515 for $200. DCRainmaker says the main benefits are the newer device has bluetooth and maybe a couple extra modes but really not much of a difference so I am inclined to get the 510.

Should I start a thread? With a poll???

Naturally. But wait until you take delivery of the device.

Velo Vol 07-02-20 07:53 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21565100)
I'm still havung trouble around the Pcad thing. As in its very easy to talk myself out of going for a ride,

Same.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21565100)
when normally I would go without a thought. I'm contemplating becoming primarily a gravel rider.

Not same.

abshipp 07-02-20 07:57 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21564525)
Taking a short family trip. Visited a state park along the north shore, including a hike to the top of a cliff overlooking the lake. The fog hiding the drop did nothing to ease the amount of 'nope' that I was feeling.


I was wondering where you were at. Your absence is conspicuous!

Cliffs give me the heebie jeebies. Any tall thing, really.

We're heading up to northern WI soon for a family vacation. My brother from Dallas was supposed to be there but with the rising COVID rates he decided that it was too big of a risk, so he won't be coming :(

rjones28 07-02-20 07:59 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21565045)
So with my bar end gone, is it safe to assume that my handle bar tape will start to come undone until I get a replacement?

Maybe it's just me, but I usually have several stray bar plugs laying around.

For your replacement, I recommend expander-style plugs. Some bar tape comes with this style end, or you can get fancy aluminum ones like these - https://www.universalcycles.com/shop....php?id=102612

abshipp 07-02-20 08:00 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21565044)
Nope. Never had any issues, I just noticed a couple years ago that when I was tired I would have trouble reading things at a distance. Never gave it much thought. In the last 6 months I have noticed that I have the same problem when I am not tired and the distance seems to be getting smaller. It only affects my reading. I can see a runway 30 miles out, see planes easily when weíre passing in the sky, itís just letters.

Would LASIK be an option for you?

A pilot friend of mine got his eyes done and he couldn't be happier.

datlas 07-02-20 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21565109)
Naturally. But wait until you take delivery of the device.

Oh yeah! But then I have to ask if I got a good buy.

rjones28 07-02-20 08:06 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21565100)
I'm still havung trouble around the Pcad thing.


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21565111)
Same.

IKR. Who's going to dance on our friggin' graves now?

datlas 07-02-20 08:06 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21565124)
Would LASIK be an option for you?

A pilot friend of mine got his eyes done and he couldn't be happier.

I am too askeered and stingy to get LASIK. I have been wearing contacts for 40 of my 55 years and likely will continue for the duration as I dislike glasses.

Bah Humbug 07-02-20 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21565075)
I was not really serious about getting a Varia pre-COVID because almost all my rides were club rides. But now I am doing mostly solo rides and that may continue for quite some time, so the Varia makes sense. I have connected my Garmin 130 to friends' Varia radars on a group ride so I get what the device does and I think it is worth considering for solo riders.

I love mine. I got the new one (515?) just to guarantee getting a new example with a battery that hasnít been aging on a shelf for a year. The new features are indeed uncompelling.

The bing thing is that it definitely sees cars behind me way before I can hear or see them. The only times I can look back and see them first is on LONG straights, and then still Iíd have to turn and look to see them. Usually the Varia beeps at me first. Itís great.

datlas 07-02-20 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21565134)
I love mine. I got the new one (515?) just to guarantee getting a new example with a battery that hasnít been aging on a shelf for a year. The new features are indeed uncompelling.

The bing thing is that it definitely sees cars behind me way before I can hear or see them. The only times I can look back and see them first is on LONG straights, and then still Iíd have to turn and look to see them. Usually the Varia beeps at me first. Itís great.

Have you noticed how much of a drain it is on your computer battery? That's my one concern, the Garmin 130 has a pretty piss-poor battery life and if this think is a huge drain that may be a bigger problem. I know it has to drain the battery some, obv.

abshipp 07-02-20 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21565131)
I am too askeered and stingy to get LASIK. I have been wearing contacts for 40 of my 55 years and likely will continue for the duration as I dislike glasses.

He was definitely a prime candidate for it, in his early 20s and committed to an aviation career with aspirations of flying fighters with the Guard.

I'm sure that he's young enough that after not too long he would have paid for the procedure by not having to buy contacts anymore.
​​​​

​​​​​​


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.